Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Battery replacement

I have a 2012 Zetec with the Ecoboost motor and the silver calcium battery has just died.Do I have to replace it with another silver calcium battery or can I replace it with a "normal" one?
Old 25-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Everyone on the net will tell you a normal battery is fine. However Ford recommends you stick with the silver calcium battery because that is what your charging system is optimised for. It will have a different charging strategy and the voltages will be a little different.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Battery replacement

Here you go, make our own decision;

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...mondeo+battery

Lets us know what you come up with.

Be aware that Ford Parts do not sell a Silver Calcium and will just sell you the Motorcraft Calcium Battery...
Old 26-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's also a question of battery management system reset, 4 Ford dealers were evenly divided yes or no when I asked if it were reqired. One thing is for sure, the car logs the age of the battery in days, as you can see using Forscan.

Let us know how you go.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Everyone on the net will tell you a normal battery is fine. However Ford recommends you stick with the silver calcium battery because that is what your charging system is optimised for. It will have a different charging strategy and the voltages will be a little different.
Yes.

Ca/Ca battery makers like Century and Supercharge provide a cheaper alternative to the Ag/Ca battery originally fitted by Ford. They defend the use of their batteries by saying they are tolerent of higher charge voltages.

The problem with that is the smart charge system relies in part on battery voltage to control the charging current and maintain the battery at a specified state of charge. It is not a question of tolerating. The data from a Ca/Ca battery will not match the original design parameters of the system, which also includes factors such battery type and temperature . . .

The lack of detailed information from Ford about the smart charge system and possible consequences of fitting a battery not specified by Ford in the first place is what you're up against.

Maybe the question is whether the difference in cost is worth the gain in efficiency?
Old 26-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #6
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brain hurts.
Old 26-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Century last year and it seems fine so far. The battery manufacturers seems to be moving away from silver/calcium batteries but Varta still make them.
Old 26-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory Ford claims a reduction of about one percent in fuel consumption for their smart charge system. Ford Ranger owners can turn the system off and do so because it keeps the battery at 80% charged, which interferes with camping activities.

I recently changed my battery from a Supercheap to a BOND silver/calcium and immediately noticed fuel consumption drop from 6.4 to 6.0 l/100km. Unfortunately it coincided with winter and no AC, so no conclusion there.

I'd say in practical terms you'd see between zero and 0.1l/100km difference between the batteries.

Last edited by rondeo; 26-05-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: correction
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #9
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read the same on the internet. Decided it was all marketing for the blue oval to keep big dollar profits locked in. Even went so far as to determine OEM battery manufacturer.
Was a waste of my life I'll never get back

The fact they claim a precious metal like silver makes a difference was enough in my mind to spend no more then $156 on a supercharge gold battery

OEM battery lasted over 5 years.
I'm 4 months into the new battery, no issues.
0.1% loss of fuel efficiency means I'm losing up to 10km per tank of diesel - the throttle position from my foot makes a bigger difference.

But if you do buy the ford battery for $400, make sure you don't pay any less then $10 for your next tube of toothpaste while you're shopping
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
The fact they claim a precious metal like silver makes a difference was enough in my mind to spend no more then $156 on a supercharge gold battery
(...)
But if you do buy the ford battery for $400, make sure you don't pay any less then $10 for your next tube of toothpaste while you're shopping
Actually, when I priced suppliers in my area last month for a Mondeo battery, not only was no-one under $200, but the Ford dealer was even the cheapest at $207. I am unclear exactly what kind (brand, chemistry etc) of battery they were flogging in that instance though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Actually, when I priced suppliers in my area last month for a Mondeo battery, not only was no-one under $200, but the Ford dealer was even the cheapest at $207. I am unclear exactly what kind (brand, chemistry etc) of battery they were flogging in that instance though.
Same here in NZ. I went with Century because they listed a silver calcium for the Mondeo, but it turned out that was the smaller battery for the petrol models.

I'd be surprised if the improvement in fuel consumption is as much as 1%, especially at a steady speed.
Old 29-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #12
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should clarify - $400 was for Tdci battery.

I would consider paying $207 knowing I could get another 5 years IF I was planning on keeping the car that long.

The chemistry difference ? I apply the same logic when comparing the $2 toothpaste to the $10 toothpaste... Companies intentionally target different consumer segments based on how much they think they'll pay, i.e. might differentiate through 2-4 product "tiers"

I'm resisting the temptation to debate how a battery can provide better spark, and more efficient combustion in a petrol motor - (unless the alternator has a clutch and free wheels for longer then a "regular" battery system). Did Ford buy the rights to the Brock Energy polariser ?

You can have confidence in buying a "normal" Ca battery. - which is the intention of the original post.

Last edited by 383hq; 29-05-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 29-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The smart charge system reduces fuel consumption by controlling the alternator output. This is done by electronically allowing the alternator to wholly or partly 'free wheel'.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #14
steve289

After 6 years, my MB diesel had its first starting problems this morning.
Bit the bullet, and booked in to have a new one installed at the local Ford dealer tomorrow.
$240 fitted, could probably get cheaper elsewhere but they had one in stock, and hopefully know what they are doing!

I guess 6 years is not too bad for a battery, and not interested in trying to stretch it out any further.
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #15
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve289 View Post
After 6 years, my MB diesel had its first starting problems this morning.
Bit the bullet, and booked in to have a new one installed at the local Ford dealer tomorrow.
$240 fitted, could probably get cheaper elsewhere but they had one in stock, and hopefully know what they are doing!

I guess 6 years is not too bad for a battery, and not interested in trying to stretch it out any further.

Standard battery should be fine, some different opinions about possible small effect on economy is all.

It would be interesting to hear what the service people have to say about the battery management system reset, ie: is it available, if so was it done. Maybe you could ask?
Old 31-05-2016, 12:26 AM   #16
bungfritz
Starter Motor

If the Mondeo is anything like the current Focus, its worth getting the dealer to do it.

Me and my brother bought a battery from Ford spare parts and couldn't wait half a day for them to install it, so we did it ourselves.

Long story short, after replacing the battery, the car threw out a transmission error so we had to bring the car back to the dealer.

Talked to the service guys and they said the car needs to be notified when a new battery is installed to reset that special charging thing Ford has going on otherwise the car will throw errors.
bungfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungfritz View Post
If the Mondeo is anything like the current Focus, its worth getting the dealer to do it.

Me and my brother bought a battery from Ford spare parts and couldn't wait half a day for them to install it, so we did it ourselves.

Long story short, after replacing the battery, the car threw out a transmission error so we had to bring the car back to the dealer.

Talked to the service guys and they said the car needs to be notified when a new battery is installed to reset that special charging thing Ford has going on otherwise the car will throw errors.
Clip a backup battery to the leads before you change it and it should be fine. Always worth doing on modern cars, especially Euros.

Even the Ford dealers can't agree on the need for the battery reset - I didn't bother and had no problems.
Old 31-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #18
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungfritz View Post

I changed my own battery, no error codes thrown. door unlocked (left open) key in ignition, positive terminal off first and on last.

Re: fuel consumption, (predominantly a function of throttle position) Sure, save yourself 1/3rd of a horsepower in parasitic drag by complementing the charging system with a Ag Ca battery.

My foot moves more then that potential saving- headwinds, gradients, overtaking.

But to spend big dollars over cheaper alternatives, one must convince oneself that the extra money is well worth it. This I understand.