Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #841
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Why is it.................?

A majority of drivers turn left from the right side of a wide single lane and right from the left side balking others following them.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #842
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Now that has been seen, how long before Strayan idiots take it up.
Apparently the road surface is oilier there - less rain for starters. Then there's the sand.
But doing that here, you're more likely to hit a pothole.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #843
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
I’ve heard them called potato cakes, but they’re normally called potato scallops in NSW, and there are still places where they make them the good old fashioned way as you’ve described. Thick crispy batter with a slice of hot potato inside and a bit greasy overall. If you’re in the Sydney region I can provide directions to a fish ‘n chip shop that makes them. Their fish isn’t that great - just the battered variety - but there are other shops that have a good selection of fresh fish, grilled or fried, in the area.
Potato scallops: takeaway food shop between Bakers Delight and IGA in Gymea 2227
Fish and chips (they do reasonable scallops too): Notaras on The Kingsway, Cronulla 2230
I've never heard of such a thing until recently. Potato fritters is what us Kiwis call them. Like a pineapple fritter. Or do you call those pineapple cakes too?
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #844
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=cat007;6167617]I've never heard of such a thing until recently. Potato fritters is what us Kiwis call them. Like a pineapple fritter. Or do you call those pineapple cakes too?[/QUOTE. In Tassie a scallop is a shellfish!so my question is,if in NSW you call a potato cake a scallop,what do you call a scallop?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #845
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We call them fritters in SA as well just for the record.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #846
slowsnake
Banned

[QUOTE=Tassie f100;6167650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
I've never heard of such a thing until recently. Potato fritters is what us Kiwis call them. Like a pineapple fritter. Or do you call those pineapple cakes too?[/QUOTE. In Tassie a scallop is a shellfish!so my question is,if in NSW you call a potato cake a scallop,what do you call a scallop?
Hello,
In NSW its a potato scollop, if you are looking at a menu on the wall in a fish shop its called a potato scollop!...if you want a real/ridgy didge shell scollop you ask for fish scollop, and the average chippy don't sell em, too expensive for that type of shop!

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 27-07-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: change letter
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #847
roKWiz
Cabover nut

[QUOTE=Tassie f100;6167650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
I've never heard of such a thing until recently. Potato fritters is what us Kiwis call them. Like a pineapple fritter. Or do you call those pineapple cakes too?[/QUOTE. In Tassie a scallop is a shellfish!so my question is,if in NSW you call a potato cake a scallop,what do you call a scallop?
In NSW a fresh scallop would be almost extinct (most come from Tassie anyway) so potato is close enough.

I grew up in Sydney and we anyways called them potato scallops no idea why.

Old 27-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #848
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose it,s because,at least in the past,you got a big spud and cut a scallop or slice off it,and dipped into the batter. Now I wonder some times just how much spud is actually in a potato cake.I soppose in NSW by the time you get scallops they aren,t much better tasting than a bit of old spud anyway,but I can assure you the scallops we get here don,t taste anything like potato
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #849
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I suppose it,s because,at least in the past,you got a big spud and cut a scallop or slice off it,and dipped into the batter. Now I wonder some times just how much spud is actually in a potato cake.I soppose in NSW by the time you get scallops they aren,t much better tasting than a bit of old spud anyway,but I can assure you the scallops we get here don,t taste anything like potato
I agree, Most of the stuff now would be all batter and a slither of Monsanto (oops Bayer !!) G.E potato.
2005 was the last time I can remember eating fresh real scallops at a Hawkesbury River marina.

Old 27-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #850
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Why is it that a box of Beer has gone up rather slyly. Seems to be nothing under $40.00 these days............
Old 27-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #851
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 and Tassie
Cat007: I've never heard of such a thing until recently. Potato fritters is what us Kiwis call them. Like a pineapple fritter. Or do you call those pineapple cakes too?
Tassie: In Tassie a scallop is a shellfish!so my question is,if in NSW you call a potato cake a scallop,what do you call a scallop?
Yes, cat007, we call them pineapple fitters in NSW too. Calling them potato fritters is a logical thing to do, and I don’t know why we call them scallops; it’s probably a tradition. We also call a Frankfurt cooked in batter a Battered Sav (saveloy) or a Dagwood Dog, not a Frankfurt fritter.

Tassie, your shellfish are called Tasmanian Scallops. They are usually cooked in batter too when purchased from a fish and chip shop but they’re grilled or fried in restaurants. Very tasty too.

It’s a bit like English. It isn’t logical, you just need to know the rules.
Old 27-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #852
Trendseeker

Here you go, from the Macquarie dictionary.

They’re called potato scallops in NSW and Queensland. They were also called scallops in Victoria in the 1960s but their name was changed to potato cakes in the ‘70s to distinguish them from Tassie scallops. They are also called potato cakes is SA.

https://www.macquariedictionary.com....rn%20District/
Old 27-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #853
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
Why is it that when I moved from Sydney To BrisVegas in the Mid 70s, and went to buy a sandwich for cribb, the lady asked me "one round or two?"
Hello every sandwich I ever had was two slices of bread?
Otherwise you'd ask for half a sandwich!

Cheers Billy.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #854
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next one is kebabs vs yiros
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #855
slowsnake
Banned

why is it tabby cats have the letter "M" on their forehead?
Old 28-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #856
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, forgive me if it’s already been mentioned. But why is it you sit behind a car at a set of red lights, then when the lights turn green they put their indicator on to turn right and your stuck. Grrrrrr
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #857
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Ok, forgive me if it’s already been mentioned. But why is it you sit behind a car at a set of red lights, then when the lights turn green they put their indicator on to turn right and your stuck. Grrrrrr
Sounds like you've been to Sydney.....
Old 28-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #858
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Sounds like you've been to Sydney.....
Well, maybe, I see it often enough, but uber drivers are 10 times worse then cab drivers and I see a lot of left turns randomly from right lane across traffic and it's always an uber. My ute doesn't stop the best because its loaded all the time but the horn works good.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #859
slowsnake
Banned

why is it.....

that some folk never stop complaining?
Old 29-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #860
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it that these signs no longer appear at intersections in Victoria?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #861
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it that these signs no longer appear at intersections in Victoria?

It's because apparently no care needs to be taken driving on our roads nowadays.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #862
slowsnake
Banned

why is it...that they removed all the dead coppers in Sydney?
Old 29-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #863
Kicking back

Why is it that when Smith's bring out limited runs of chips they never make the really good ones permanent. Granted there are some absolute flops, but the garlic bread chips are great.
Old 29-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #864
marcyeo

Why is it that drivers not only travel at 10kms below the speed limit but then stick so closely together no one can overtake them?

If you love your car so much that you wanna spend that much more time in it rather than reach your destination at least allow others to get to theirs quicker!!!

And my missus says I'M a car fanatic..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #865
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When caravans do this (which is actually illegal in SA) I have been known to get beside 1 and then force my way between creating a decent passing space. Yes I know that one day it might bite me, but for the safety of other drivers trying to pass a stupid convoy of nomads I'll continue doing so.
Old 29-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #866
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
When caravans do this (which is actually illegal in SA) I have been known to get beside 1 and then force my way between creating a decent passing space. Yes I know that one day it might bite me, but for the safety of other drivers trying to pass a stupid convoy of nomads I'll continue doing so.
It's an interesting topic to be fair. I'm not old enough to even consider buying a caravan but I do tow trailers frequently with varied weights and I adapt my driving style to suit. I have a pretty good feel for what the ranger can do so I leave a tad more space between the car in front then necessary but that's because the bare minimum for me is often viewed as a gap when pulling up for a red light so its nicer to myself to break harder then I like but not rear end some fool who jumped in front. And the load in my ute and trailer varies so I have a ballpark idea of how things will go but no guarentee, plus the brakes on rentals dont always work the best.
Old 29-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #867
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why is it that atheists call out the Lord's name during sex?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #868
marcyeo

Driving in Tassie at the moment, and either everyone is too polite to overtake or as above, loves their car too much and doesn't leave any space.

Definitely makes me miss my baby so much more - I'm in a ****ty Holden Malibu rental today, and doesn't leave any confidence overtaking ANY car at present, in the GT I'd blow 2 or 3 road hogs at the slightest break without even thinking about it.

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
Old 29-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #869
marcyeo

Makes me miss my baby so much more - driving in Tassie in a terrible rental Holden Malibu at the moment.

In the GT I'd blow by 2 or 3 road hogs without even thinking about it, in the rental I need to have an airplane's runway worth of clear road just to overtake 1 car..

OLD
Old 29-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #870
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it that atheists call out the Lord's name during sex?
Sounds better than "ooh chemical chance, chemical chance!!"
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post