Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #871
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crypto $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
My sister knows I'm into crypto and she asked me around August last year if she should buy in. Bitcoin had just gone from around AUD$13k to AUD$17k so I said who knows but if it was me I would wait for it to correct. She reminded me of that this arvo when it went over AUD$82k. I reminded her I said I would wait but I also have no ****ing idea, and reminded her to never listen to anyone in crypto, even moreso those that think they have some idea.
She reminded me of this again yesterday when it was over $85k. She got in couple of months back when it dipped into the $50k region.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2021, 11:08 AM   #872
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Crypto is not going to go away.
Probably not, but it very well may change. It's code, there's nothing stopping a better version replacing it, or even an entirely new paradigm rendering it obsolete.

Remember when bandwidth was tiny and we had to ZIP and RAR files to send them around? Who even needs to do that anymore?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #873
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I must be living under a rock but I dont understand the appeal of crypto from a user perspective...if poo hits the fan its gone?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #874
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I must be living under a rock but I dont understand the appeal of crypto from a user perspective...if poo hits the fan its gone?
2008 GFC feels forgotten.

any/all of your stocks can disappear in no time too.
your super can disappear if the markets are bad, your super fund makes bad decisions

and even if you leave your money under your mattress, inflation will make it more and more worthless as time goes on.

and think you're money is safe in the bank? the people of Greece may have a second word about that.

there's risk in everything, and there's reward to be had if you can stomach the risk.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #875
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
What I always wonder...

1. What happens when countries eventually decide to go cashless and or develop their own national backed Cryptocurrency?

And if;

2. More countries like China ban existing cryptocurrencies?

Surely, one's investment in questionable less known crypto coins, will fall in value or simply crash?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #876
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
What I always wonder...

1. What happens when countries eventually decide to go cashless and or develop their own national backed Cryptocurrency?

And if;

2. More countries like China ban existing cryptocurrencies?

Surely, one's investment in questionable less known crypto coins, will fall in value or simply crash?
1. why does that matter at all? we've been able to play the forex market forever, that's essentially playing with other countries money. no difference.

2. I don't think we'll see anyone actually do that. Sure some small nowhere countries may (N Korea maybe), but the US and Europe haven't yet, so they won't. If governments really wanted to kill it, that time has past. China has banned it for two reasons - the one they make public (electricity shortages/emissions), and the real reason - too many people are making too much money/becoming too powerful - the CCP doesn't like that - they try to tread a fine line between communism and capitalism, but any time someone becomes too powerful that's not CCP - they get disappeared.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 12:36 PM   #877
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
any/all of your stocks can disappear in no time too.
your super can disappear if the markets are bad, your super fund makes bad decisions
show me an example. AFAIK, no super fund has ever gone bust in Aus, nobody here ever lost their super balance through bad investments. even the high growth options are made up largely of stocks of well-established large companies, not start-ups.

your stocks dont disappear unless the company does. diversify and you negate that risk.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #878
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
show me an example. AFAIK, no super fund has ever gone bust in Aus, nobody here ever lost their super balance through bad investments. even the high growth options are made up largely of stocks of well-established large companies, not start-ups.
I'm not aware of any (haven't specifically looked) - however while deposits in your bank account are coved by the ACS to 250k, super funds are NOT covered*. so if a super fund does go bust you'll be left with nothing.

Quote:
your stocks dont disappear unless the company does. diversify and you negate that risk.
good advice. putting all your eggs in one basket - no matter what that basket is - is a bad idea.

as I covered before, there's a risk in any investment, it's up to the individual to decide what risk profile they want, and they have to look out for themselves.

*well the fund itself maybe covered, if it holds cash with a ADI bank, but 250k across any funds membership base will equate to next to nothing per member.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #879
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

30 odd years ago i lost (to me) a heap i had in amp as a super fund
i still have all the official paper work tho at the time (and my lack in age) to try and recover it wasnt worth the cost
they just have no records them selfs of my accounts from after goring paperless from paper records to digital and i had been paying in to it from an apprentice for years
so yes you can loose from them even if they dont go bust

EDIT:~ ive also lost in shares one from southern cross network where they re wrote their shares to like a 10th of the price so now i still own the shares i bought as a parcel but bugger all of them
and ive had that a few time with better share holdings even if they wernt blue chip stocks (im not talking these .00001c shares you buy on a whim to hope to make it large)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #880
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
I'm not aware of any (haven't specifically looked) - however while deposits in your bank account are coved by the ACS to 250k, super funds are NOT covered*. so if a super fund does go bust you'll be left with nothing.
if a super fund goes bust, it will likely be due to some major global economic calamity, in which case most of us will be losing most of our investments. if that happens, something tells more more people will be buying gold than dogecoins :P
Old 04-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #881
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So seeing that we are supposedly on the 2nd leg of a Bull Run, does anyone have any low cost gems to highlight that they feel will make a good return and why?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #882
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

CBA is getting on the Crypto bandwagon.

They will be adding a facility to buy and sell on their netbank app.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2021, 10:18 PM   #883
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if a super fund goes bust, it will likely be due to some major global economic calamity, in which case most of us will be losing most of our investments. if that happens, something tells more more people will be buying gold than dogecoins :P
bitcoin its self had a fairly good day today currently up around the $89390aud

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #884
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
bitcoin its self had a fairly good day today currently up around the $89390aud
And today it's at almost 93.3k

I bought $800 worth 1st November and it's almost at $900 now.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #885
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How much of that profit would you lose in fees if you cashed out now? Curious.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2021, 11:36 PM   #886
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How much of that profit would you lose in fees if you cashed out now? Curious.
The fees are not too bad, its the tax at 19% of the profit that the ATO wants that gets you
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2021, 11:41 PM   #887
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're apprehensive about buying bitcoin directly, buy some crypto ETFs. My wife bought into one last week and it's up 10% in 4 days :P
Old 01-12-2021, 05:58 AM   #888
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Watching some of the market presently, feeling a little less FOMO. Wondering if “Omicron” has slowed some trends, even if briefly.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #889
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Watching some of the market presently, feeling a little less FOMO. Wondering if “Omicron” has slowed some trends, even if briefly.
I could cure your FOMO by showing you my (small) wallet - so much red lol
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #890
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
You are the smartest person here

PS....because no one else understands it either!

Last edited by slowsnake; 01-12-2021 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Add PS
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2021, 09:15 PM   #891
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i kinda work with crypto and have had a $100s a week aud put in to my bendigo bank for the last 6 weeks
i see it like working with shares but fluctuates more often
and the funds transfer faster
my shares take 3 days to retrieve funds
from bit coin bank to bendigo usually bout half n hr and im of spending it
tho i dable working with it too ive made no investment my self

Old 02-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #892
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got both daughters $10 each of BTC several years back for ****s and gigs and to see what it was worth on their respective 18ths (currently aged 14 and 12) - they are happy to be "hundred-aires" again
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #893
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
You are the smartest person here

PS....because no one else understands it either!
You do you mate, risk vs reward.

Big businesses didn't make their billions from not taking a risk.

Diversify. That is all.......
Old 04-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #894
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

I've just dived in after spending a fair amount of time and studying it as much as I can.

Person art work showed me he's portfolio.... He's English is poor and a few months back he told me he's going to retire at 55 I laughed. I mentioned crypto and he showed me he's portfolio. Boy did I have egg on my face!

Turns out he's been doing it since 2017.... He works part time for something to do... But to meet him you'd just never pick it.

I'm doing it long term with low risk coins. I might throw my progress up as I go if anyone's interested.

I've invested $252 and was up to a nice $276 but overnight it's gone down so currently sitting at $235

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #895
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on you for having a go.
It is a good idea to start off like that and spend time in the market, learning as you go.
The market has just had another dump so you might be down a bit more unfortunately.
Dollar Cost Average is the way to go when this happens.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #896
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Good on you for having a go.
It is a good idea to start off like that and spend time in the market, learning as you go.
The market has just had another dump so you might be down a bit more unfortunately.
Dollar Cost Average is the way to go when this happens.
Thanks mate

Yeah $50 a week at this stage. Nothing flash. BTC, Ethereum, Solana, Binance and maybe one of the medium smaller coins. This meta universe looks like it's about to take off. Sand and a new coin Gala I might invest in next :-)
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #897
zilo
BANNED

Anyone lost money today?

(Don't be shy)

looks like Bitcoin has taken a 20% hit in one day?..today..

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #898
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

you only lose if you cash out a loss.

6 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2021, 04:38 AM   #899
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I find the market volatility quite interesting. Twelve month gains have been really good for a number of currencies.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #900
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I find the market volatility quite interesting. Twelve month gains have been really good for a number of currencies.
yep , when I made my btc account to transfer coin to aus and added it to my browser fast bar , bitcoin it's self was at 74k
in that time it's been up in the low 90k rang and down in the high 60k range and now bake at low 70k again i, all in about 5 weeks

2 users like this post: