Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Before 8...

Default 89 Telstar Transmission problems :(

Car: 1988/89 2.2i telstar ghia Auto.

So recently the transmission has been becoming rougher during gear changes, though i though the clunking could be a broken engine mount (which is coincidently on its way out)

So, over the last month or so it has been becoming worse, dropping out of the gear into 3rd or 4th which happens mostly when pulling out etc..just kept checking the gear light to see if it was in gear (light would go off if it wasn't)

Now we have yet another addition to the list of ever growing problems, now it stalls when stationary at the lights, no matter what it jumps a bit (like an L plater in a manual but not so rough)

This last problem only started happening after it had break lines/master cylinder replaced and two coolant hoses replaced today.

Anyway, having no real mechanical experience i thought i would ask here, Any ideas on what's wrong? even a guess would help!

Cheers,
Nick.

.7. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

on the side of some of the telstars auto is something like a small canister it fills with tranny oil when it should not .... replace that part
service the auto at the same time (should be serviced at least once a year)

not sure about the loss of 4 th gear - the auto service may provide that answer

stalling might be fixed with a service and tune

replace the engine mount
Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Before 8...

Alright that will definitely come soon, the 3rd and 4th gear are still there (at least i think theres a fourth somewhere) the auto will just randomly drop it self into these gears from first...bit annoying when your trying to pull out into an intersection and find your not going anywhere.

I may raise the idle revs to hopefully keep it from stalling temporarily. Something may have been knocked or left off when it was being repaired, but i definitely need to get the auto transmission fixed.

Engine runs better at higher revs, just when it idling it has a few problems (idles at 500, which is definitely lower than it was)
Cheers.

Last edited by .7.; 04-12-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Forgot words and stuff..
Old 04-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Before 8...

Also, I'm assuming vacuum hoses can cause idling problems, sorta makes sense seeing as the could of taken one of to get into the tricky areas to replace the coolant pipes, another thing to check...yay!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Before 8...

Ok i have worked out some things:

1.All engine problems/transmission problems and clunks seem to be related to the mount, this is being fixed thursday.

2.Idling problems, caused by the broken engine mount:

Nice split, currently fixed with tape, also fixing that on thursday.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
dirty hands
Over Thinker

good to see pictures that helps