Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Nerdling
Starter Motor

Default Worn breaks

Hi Guys,

I have a 2010 Mondeo wagon. I've just had the 40k service and have been advised that both front and rear brake's need to be replaced, pads and rotors.

Seems a bit excessive to me.

I've got a G6E that's done 80k and only needed a set of pads and a 200SX that's done a bunch of track days and 170k on a bunch of pads and one set of rotors.

What's others experience? Are the rotors on the Mondeo particularly soft?

Mark

Nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Default Re: Worn breaks

Generally yes, the Mondeo chews through brakes. Having said that, 40k for rotors is a fair effort. Lots of city driving? Can always get another opinion. I've now gone after market for the brakes and hopefully get a bit more out of them.
Old 13-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
b2428

I got 37000 out of my rear pads and rotors and at least 50000 out of fronts. Go figure haha but yes as a rule they are heavy on both pads and rotors.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

European cars chew through brakes. It's not uncommon to need pads and rotors at 45k on Mondeo and Focus. It's the price you pay for good brakes.
It's not that the discs are at all soft, it's just the aggressive style of pads used in euro cars.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Batman105E

I just replaced all the pads on our MB Mondeo, 96,000 ks and they would have lasted another 10 or 15,000. I really don't know how you could wear out a set of pads and discs in 40,000ks. The rotors had hardly worn as well.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Depends on the type of driving you are doing. Highway vs city driving.
Old 15-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Nerdling
Starter Motor

Thanks guys.

We bought the car with 38k on it as a work car, so I can't speak to how it was driven before.
Old 15-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
05_ENFORCER

PM FLOORED (Matt at Race Brakes Sydney) for an aftermarket price on replacement

Performance street and race brake pads,disc rotors,braided lines and brake upgrade kits.

Ring us for your brake enquiry.

02 9609 1101

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
Old 15-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Who exactly advised you that they are due?

If the Mondeo is the same as the Focus in terms of brake bias your rears will need doing first.

I had a 2010 Focus. At 45k I was told by the Ford service dept that my front pads were good for another 7k km, and my rears were due NOW. Nothing was mentioned about the rotors. Quote for rear pads was circa $300 if memory serves.

Took it to my local mechanic that I use for my other 'out of warranty' cars and he told me the fronts were fine, the rears were a little more worn but still had around 1/3rd friction material to go.

Ended up getting my rear pads done at 60k, the fronts were still fine and he charged me less than half of what Ford wanted.

I didn them after the 60k service. Got the same speil on the phone - this time the 'km left' was more than at the 45k service. They didn't even bother to check the notes from my last service...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can I see some pics of the 'worn' that's broken as I haven't seen one before.

also how did the worn actually break?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

At 51K kms a dealer said an rear inner was in imminent danger of metal on metal (maybe 2K kms if lucky). I checked them, and yes, they were part way down on the the taper indicator of the pad.
That was 15K kms ago, and my usual mechanic at 60K kms service said "at next service" i.e. 75K kms.

Even allowing for different driving styles, this difference in expected life seems "odd".
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our 2007 focus had the lot of them replaced at about 30K. This was done at the ford dealer. I wonder if they say they are worn too early to make more money out of poor customers. Sounds to me like a bit of a trend..
Old 15-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Our 2007 focus had the lot of them replaced at about 30K. This was done at the ford dealer. I wonder if they say they are worn too early to make more money out of poor customers. Sounds to me like a bit of a trend..
I always dropped my car off at Ford then waited for the calls. If it wasn't the wipers it was the tyres. If it wasn't either of those it was the brakes or a balance and rotation. My answer was always the same, please note it on the receipt but don't you dare do anything other than what I asked you to do when I dropped it off.

I always got 30-40% more out of whatever they told me needed doing and I was able to do it at a place of my choice or did it myself for much less than they wanted.

Always get a second opinion. You drove it in, driving it home and following it up for a second opinion after a day or 2 won't make a difference.

30k for brakes and rotors sounds very premature unless you were a door to door salesperson.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I always dropped my car off at Ford then waited for the calls. If it wasn't the wipers it was the tyres. If it wasn't either of those it was the brakes or a balance and rotation. My answer was always the same, please note it on the receipt but don't you dare do anything other than what I asked you to do when I dropped it off.

I always got 30-40% more out of whatever they told me needed doing and I was able to do it at a place of my choice or did it myself for much less than they wanted.

Always get a second opinion. You drove it in, driving it home and following it up for a second opinion after a day or 2 won't make a difference.

30k for brakes and rotors sounds very premature unless you were a door to door salesperson.
yeh thats exactly what i think now. this was a few years ago now tho. Parents did it, but i remembered they got the brakes changed at their mechanic. Cant remember the outcome exactly. But they were all changed between 30-40Kkms.

I wouldnt doubt ford tried the shifty.
Old 16-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
yeh thats exactly what i think now. this was a few years ago now tho. Parents did it, but i remembered they got the brakes changed at their mechanic. Cant remember the outcome exactly. But they were all changed between 30-40Kkms.

I wouldnt doubt ford tried the shifty.
This happened to me years ago with my first car, a KE Laser. It was 1990-91 and a very well known Ford dealer told me the rear drums needed replacing. The car was less than 2 years old, bought new.

I was so annoyed at being ripped off, (only realised a few years later after my automotive knowledge increased), that I've never been to a Ford dealer for a service again.

And, every car that I've bought since then, has also been a Ford.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #16
Batman105E

From my own experience it is not all, and not just Ford Dealers that play this game.

I had my Hilux serviced about 12 weeks ago, they told me they needed to replace all brakes, car had done 95,000ks, so I didn't argue about the wear but I told them not to do it, instead decided to do it myself. They quoted $1200 to do front and rear brakes on the Hilux. I did it myself for less than $300 but did not machine discs or drums which they quoted, It would have cost me an extra $150 for machining.

When I did the front pads they were half worn. They had told me the rear shoes (drums at the rear) had less that 0.2mm on them. They were only half worn as well and the rear drums had not been removed. I am not sure how they diagnosed without removing the drums. It was a scam, I fronted the service manager and he was embarrassed and apologetic. He offered me a free service next time as compensation.

The Ford dealer who did the Mondeo told me the brakes would need replacement soon and told me how much material was left on the pads. They were very honest and accurate. But I still did the job myself. They quoted me $800 to do the whole job. I did it for $200 but did not machine the discs, which they had quoted.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably some of the "brakes left" estimations where done by apprentices, having done these estimations myself for a living many years ago they are prone to interpretation(cup half full/cup half empty), but for safety sake i would think most blokes estimate worst case scenario.
one thing to remember, no brakes = bad, if they misjudge the pad/lining left and you wear through the friction material to the rotors,
A. you might end up with uneven braking when you dont need it !
b. if the rotors are not stuffed and you go metal to metal , big the chance the rotor/s will need machining or be turfed in the bin.
c. the thickness of the rotor/brake drum has a safe wear limit stamped on them from memory, this is also is a consideration.

in saying all that, i myself would much rather have my brakes done well before they are down to minimum level.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #18
Nerdling
Starter Motor

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the answers. I had the breaks checked by a different mechanic, one who has been serving my cars for the past decade or so.

He's indicated that the front pads and rotors will need to be replaced in the next 10k, this tally's with the advise previously given by the guys who performed the original service.

The rears were a bit more interesting. This Mondeo has steel wheels, the rears were rusted on (obviously some water got on the wheel while it was in the 2nd had dealers yard) indicating that when the 40k service was performed the rear breaks were not actually checked, it was pretty clear the wheels had not been removed recently. The advice on the rears was that the pads will need to be replaced but the rotors will only need to be machined.

I'm disappointed in the approach (lazy) that the original mechanic took when servicing the car and checking the breaks.

Break were aside, with now over 40k on its clock I must say I'm pretty happy with the Mondeo, Its comfy, roomy and economical, and accepting that its not particularly fast not a bad drive.

Cheers

Mark