Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Default Thermo fan running fast after excessively Water pump failure

Water pump seal and shaft let go. This engine 2.3 litre HE Duratec seem to to have cooling system problems from when at 23000km now I know why. Thermo fan seem to be running very fast for 3 minutes after engine turned off. At first i thinking thermo fan switch defective . But later had replaced plastic thermostat housing that is plastic for it cracked at temperature sensor . But recently thermo fan still running excessively. So i thinking Radiator is undersized for Australia. But no until the water pump destroyed itself i replaced with a GMB water pump from Repco $124 vs ford water pump $142. I am glad not use genuine part for water pump GMB A9397226 from repco is the best thing i ever done for it actually pumps coolant and thermo fan doesn't run high speed and not for 3 minutes like it was doing before. Now engine is cooled properly by efficient new pump thermo fan sometimes not even running after engine off. What a difference
Ford guru is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Mackspower

Default Re: Thermo fan running fast after excessively Water pump failure

Wife's car (same as yours) had exactly the same symptoms.

It was only a gasket in our case but I think you're on to something with the water pump efficiency. Even though the thermo fan run-on issue has stopped on our car, the engine still runs hot in my opinion and I don't trust the temperature sensor at all.

At one point, the car boiled dry and there was no High Temp warning. NRMA says the temperature sensor is working fine. 0_o
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackspower View Post
Wife's car (same as yours) had exactly the same symptoms.

It was only a gasket in our case but I think you're on to something with the water pump efficiency. Even though the thermo fan run-on issue has stopped on our car, the engine still runs hot in my opinion and I don't trust the temperature sensor at all.

At one point, the car boiled dry and there was no High Temp warning. NRMA says the temperature sensor is working fine. 0_o
Sorry late reply i not realizing i not use site for ages! Yes i can also add that i had no warning from a light or audible warning lucky i was watching temperature gauge at the time for it was a hot day 42 degree day and the water boiled past the seal and I stopped car thank goodness at the shopping centre.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
toyota lexcen

Hi,

Looks like I having same problem with fan running for a minute or so after turn engine off.

Probably another fun part to get to
toyota lexcen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Yes these engines good on fuel but not living up to the duretec name. These HE 2.3 are mazda design many parts properly mazda in accessories and parts. Ecoboost 2.0 makes more power with low pressure turbo seem to be more quieter in running. I now moved to Ecoblue Diesel in the Endura love the diesel engine but still kept the mondeo Ma for it still going well.
This user likes this post: