Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
kman42
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo MA vs MC

Hi, looking to buy a Ford Mondeo diesel, and there are both MA and MC cars listed that I am considering. Just wondering, I have heard of issues with the DPF on these cars but it mostly seems to be the earlier models. Were the issues with the DPF rectified by the MC version?

More generally, how does the MC compare to the MA version, particularly in terms of issues and potential problems I can expect? FYI the cars I am looking at all have 200k-250k on them.
kman42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Mondeo MA vs MC

I have an MB Zetec with slushbox auto, I were wary about the DCT trans more than the DPF. After the last 5yrs I reckon I were worried about nothing. I'd go an MC without concern (well only if it were a Titanium spec) lol. Try to keep to the later year MC's

@200K kms anecdotally you'd have another 200-250K kms to go before being concerned about injectors, DPF and potential trans failures, given it be a clean run.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These cars are undervalued because of the powershift stigma.
The wet DCT450 in Mondeo is not known to be unreliable.
Just make sure the box was serviced at 60000km intervals, and bear in mind the timing belt is due at 200000km.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

The timing belt is due @ 10yrs or 240K kms rather.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a MA petrol for a couple of years. It had some minor problems - aircon, tailgate catch and a couple of others I can't remember. Plenty of rattles in the centre console also.

I traded it on a runout MB diesel, which felt like a different car. Much better with the diesel engine of course, but just felt better made than the MA.

I've driven a MC and that is another step forward. Some members here have had problems with the DCT, but I expect that if the box is going to fail, it will have done so by now.

Go for 2013 or later and you should be fine.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
The timing belt is due @ 10yrs or 240K kms rather.

10 years or 200000km according to MC logbook.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
10 years or 200000km according to MC logbook.
Apologies, I thought they'd be the same as the MA & MB. I can only think that the bump up in power saw the reduction?!?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Hi, looking to buy a Ford Mondeo diesel, and there are both MA and MC cars listed that I am considering. Just wondering, I have heard of issues with the DPF on these cars but it mostly seems to be the earlier models. Were the issues with the DPF rectified by the MC version?

More generally, how does the MC compare to the MA version, particularly in terms of issues and potential problems I can expect? FYI the cars I am looking at all have 200k-250k on them.
I have a 2012 MC wagon with 244k km on it. Only issues I have had are : DCT speed sensor at 134k (anecdotally about when they fail) DPF fuel vaporiser blocked at 220k and the ignition switch started playing up about 235k. It has also had a slight rear main oil leak since I've had it.

Driven 250km every day, long term average of 6.5l per 100km. I would buy another one tomorrow if something was to happen to this one, but looking at the new Ford Endura I could be swayed to that (when they are much cheaper on the 2nd hand market)
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: