Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #841
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

I don't think the numbers would add up, although they will look at it. They will be factoring in wether the potential production complexities will be worth a potential few extra thousand sales a month, when they already make such massive amounts in the US. It would only increase production numbers by 1 or 2% and they will probably think it's just not worth it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #842
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Fell free to bring this thread back ON TOPIC anytime

This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #843
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any further rumours on price yet?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #844
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW are increasing the power of the V6 Amarok from 165 to 190kW and from 550 to 580Nm in an update later this year it has been announced today.

Will this move impact the choice of engine in the Raptor any more that it already has?

VW has thrown down the gauntlet saying that they want to have the most powerful ute in its class over MB.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #845
Sioso
irregular member

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...vealed-111911/

Ford Ranger Raptor pricing revealed
Rallyraid-ready Ford Ranger Raptor to command 42 per cent price premium over Wildtrak

Pricing for the hotly anticipated Ford Ranger Raptor has been revealed in Thailand – the first market to receive Ford’s hottest ever Ranger – providing the first indication of what it might cost in Australia.

Due on sale here late this year as the headline act of the heavily upgraded 2019 Ford Ranger line-up, the Ford Ranger Raptor will cost 1.699 million Thai bhat (TBH) in Thailand, where it will be produced for Australia.

While that converts to $A70,729, it’s precisely TBH 500,000 more than the hitherto top-shelf Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 4x4 dual-cab auto, which currently tops Ford Australia’s Ranger line-up at $59,590 plus on-road costs.

Based on the Thai-market price premium of 41.7 per cent over the Wildtrak 3.2 (TBH 1,199,000), the Ford Ranger Raptor would therefore cost $84,440 plus ORCs in Australia.

Our bet is $84,590 plus ORCs, making it a neat $25K more than the Wildtrak, which along with $50,000-plus XLT models comprises about two-thirds of all Ranger sales Down Under, where the Ranger is the second most popular new vehicle – bar none – behind Toyota’s HiLux.

That’s consistent with the circa-$85,000 pricetag that our sources are telling us – or around the same price as the upcoming Mercedes-Benz X 350d, with which it will vie to be Australia’s most expensive mid-size ute.

As we’ve reported, the first Ford Ranger Raptor is powered exclusively by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder bi-turbo diesel outputs 157kW and 500Nm – 10kW and 30Nm more than the Ranger’s 3.2-litre five-cylinder turbo-diesel.

In this case the downsized twin-turbo oiler is paired for the first time in the Ranger with Ford’s new 10-speed automatic transmission (rather than a six-speed manual or auto, as in the Wildtrak).

We’ve also detailed the Ranger Raptor’s many chassis upgrades, including its redesigned Watts-link coil-spring rear suspension, Fox Racing Shox dampers, 150mm-wider wheel tracks, 283mm of ground clearance, 4.5-tonne recovery hooks, 2.3mm-thick bash plates, and 332mm disc brakes and 285/70-section 17-inch BF Goodrich A/T tyres all round.

Wrapped in a tough new body kit punctuated by LED fog lights, the Ranger Raptor cabin is differentiated by leather seat trim with blue stitching, a specific instrument cluster, SYNC3 infotainment and a unique perforated leather steering wheel with magnesium paddle shifters, red on-centre stripe and six-mode terrain management switch.

In Thailand, the Ford Ranger Raptor will be available in the Lightning Blue paint colour pictured here, plus Race Red, Shadow Black, Frozen White and the exclusive hero hue, Conquer Grey.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #846
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt it will be 85k, I’m betting 75k absolute tops. It doesn’t have the engine to command any more in Australia. 75k is still 5k more than converted Thai pricing and Australia will be a big volume destination for this variant whereas in Thailand it will be much lower sales.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #847
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the time the dealers get it, it will be way over 85K !
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #848
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

My guess would be that the MLP will be around 10K on top of a Wildtrak. If the dealer puts a mark up like GTF then it will depend on what the market will pay. GTF was $80K but sold for low to mid $100's.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #849
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Thai Rangers are a different spec to what we have here anyway. Where the Raptor could be more like our spec. So not apples with apples.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #850
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
My guess would be that the MLP will be around 10K on top of a Wildtrak. If the dealer puts a mark up like GTF then it will depend on what the market will pay. GTF was $80K but sold for low to mid $100's.
yes and no.
GTF limited build as we all knew, most who jumped in pronto got them at RRP.
Those who jumped in later paid higher, the price of holding back and DP's knowing they could make some more.
No matter the Raptor price for those interested and have put their money down already will get it at the RRP once released.
Those that opt out and those next will be gauged just as GTF but that people's choice.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #851
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
VW are increasing the power of the V6 Amarok from 165 to 190kW and from 550 to 580Nm in an update later this year it has been announced today.

Will this move impact the choice of engine in the Raptor any more that it already has?

VW has thrown down the gauntlet saying that they want to have the most powerful ute in its class over MB.

VW 190kws & 580nm
Merc 190kws & 550nm
Ram 1500 295kws & 560nm
Raptor 157kws & 500nm

So apparently all these utes will be similarly priced in Australia.
Sure the Ranger will beat them all in the Dakar race, but I wonder which will sell the most. Some people still do love having high powered vehicles.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #852
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
VW 190kws & 580nm
Merc 190kws & 550nm
Ram 1500 295kws & 560nm
Raptor 157kws & 500nm

So apparently all these utes will be similarly priced in Australia.
Sure the Ranger will beat them all in the Dakar race, but I wonder which will sell the most. Some people still do love having high powered vehicles.
Thats what the Raptor is built for though. People dont drag race 4x4 utes on the street.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #853
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Thats what the Raptor is built for though. People dont drag race 4x4 utes on the street.
Thats what i thought until i had a nob in a ranger trying to race me
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #854
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Really? you'd better come and tell all the lads here with pig dog cages on the back of their 4x4 utes then
Old 05-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #855
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
People drag race whatever they are driving at the time, and it’s always better to be the one who wins.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #856
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
People drag race whatever they are driving at the time, and it’s always better to be the one who wins.
This so much.
Being a dual cab driver its funny to keep hearing more since our locals are done oh those damn dual cabs owners trying to out drag xyz.
People try doing this in their low powered hatchbacks etcetc get a grip whingers
Old 05-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #857
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

by simply paying attention at the lights you can outdrag most drivers who need to finish their texts before moving off regardless of what you actually drive.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #858
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
And how many will be doing the Dakar?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #859
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Seeing as the next one is in 2019 I doubt that anyone's crystal ball goes that far ahead.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #860
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yes and no.
GTF limited build as we all knew, most who jumped in pronto got them at RRP.
Those who jumped in later paid higher, the price of holding back and DP's knowing they could make some more.
No matter the Raptor price for those interested and have put their money down already will get it at the RRP once released.
Those that opt out and those next will be gauged just as GTF but that people's choice.
These aren't a limited number build, why would people be gouged on price?
Old 05-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #861
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
In Australia it's the Finke (Bathurst of the bush)

https://finkedesertrace.com.au/

I'd buy a Raptor Ranger if I lived in the Alice
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #862
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
These aren't a limited number build, why would people be gouged on price?
Well yer thats so, bet you stocks won't be plentiful as always when new models come out (took em forever to get Rangers in Wildtraks etc), then some will did deeper in their pockets as it happens and because it is a special model.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #863
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
In Australia it's the Finke (Bathurst of the bush)

https://finkedesertrace.com.au/

I'd buy a Raptor Ranger if I lived in the Alice
I don't live in Alice, but the more I think about it, the more I'd rather like a Raptor.

While I still think a 2.0l twin turbo diesel would be a great performance engine in a fiesta or focus, I'm also thinking, it's not a drag car. This is designed for dirt road/off road, and realistically, how much power do you really need?

I was working remotely the last couple weeks and had to drive back to town a couple days in to pick up a workmate then out again then back home. If this vehicle would give a better ride on those roads... yes please!
The downside being, I have to take the work vehicle. They're not purchasing anything like that either!

Unfortunately I don't have 80k, and there's also one other problem. 500km to the nearest Ford dealer if anything goes wrong on a brand new model.
I'd probably end up leaning towards a Toyota.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #864
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even if people are not dragging, some still like having a powerful version of a particular car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #865
articulatedsphinx

Hey guys,

New member here. It seems that I have more money than sense and have just put a deposit on a Raptor to be delivered september/october. (I'm getting the blue colour without the decals, those are the ugliest things I've ever seen)

I've attached the spec-sheet for you to pick apart.

I'm pretty excited as I've owned a F150 rappy when I was based in the US so will be a good comparison. I don't care too much about the motor, of course bigger is always better, but we shall see I suppose. I figure if I don't like it I can sell it with no problems.

articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #866
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Onya Sphinx. Happy days ahead. It’ll be a fantastic rig for Oz for those who don’t want the Ranger to tow with, and will fill a niche market that has never existed in this country. To be able to buy a vehicle off the show room floor and travel every corner of Australia in is great - and ya not gunna have to spend a shyte load on fuel to do it. Awesome rig - congrats
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #867
articulatedsphinx

Also that bulletin was sent from the dealer, nothing in there is confidential. I think that was just prior to the launch.

My biggest concern is the auto stop/start and hoping that can be disabled. Also given the width of the tub and the changes I think all accessories/racks/etc wont work. This will present a whole new opportunity for price gouging from the likes of ARB/TJM, since some of the products will have to be remade.

I dont plan on really modifying much, just maybe putting the spare up in the tray and some way of fitting jerry cans and maxx traxx for those long voyages.

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 24-06-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 24-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #868
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I don't live in Alice, but the more I think about it, the more I'd rather like a Raptor.

While I still think a 2.0l twin turbo diesel would be a great performance engine in a fiesta or focus, I'm also thinking, it's not a drag car. This is designed for dirt road/off road, and realistically, how much power do you really need?

I was working remotely the last couple weeks and had to drive back to town a couple days in to pick up a workmate then out again then back home. If this vehicle would give a better ride on those roads... yes please!
The downside being, I have to take the work vehicle. They're not purchasing anything like that either!

Unfortunately I don't have 80k, and there's also one other problem. 500km to the nearest Ford dealer if anything goes wrong on a brand new model.
I'd probably end up leaning towards a Toyota.
Our work utes in NW WA are doing up to 20000km a month on harsh dirt roads that are absolute shyte at times. We have destroyed a Dueller 697LT (to the canvas) in 15000km which in my opinion is the toughest AT tyre on the market - I’ve got a photo of one somewhere after 12000km. The original suspension on the Hilux’s are changed out immediately which is painful because the bloody things are carrying no weight. A Raptor in those conditions would shine - we’ll never see em at work but I’ve travelled enough of Oz’s shytehouse roads to appreciate what this vehicle represents for people that will use it. For those who have never travelled extensively around Oz you’ll never get it - the vehicle is pointless.
I went to cut accoss to Halls Creek a few years back on the Buchanan hwy (500km of dirt) and turned around after 20km and went via Catherine - to say the road was wrecked would be an understatement. I’m just happy Ford are now catering to those who want to use a Ranger more than towing a caravan and light duty weekend stuff. It will only get better too. I’d be happy to see the rear go IRS which I reckon it will in the future.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #869
articulatedsphinx

Not a lot of people know this but Ford actually makes a special version of the raptor f-150 for the US government, specifically the border patrol.

Totally stripped down, no leather etc, just a hard fleet truck with a great suspension.

I think it would take off here if they did something like that with the ranger, but unlikely obviously.

Here's some info for the curious:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...atrol-edition/
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #870
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
I think it would take off here if they did something like that with the ranger, but unlikely obviously.

Our border is brittle- Raptors would help
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post