Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #751
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

or like a 5.4 boss in a GT but the 335 should have been in the first place - oooops.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #752
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Slightly off subject...
I get that its an ideal general 4X4 vehicle (on paper)

But from someone like me (not into offroading) who would be looking into buying a trade vehicle, would look at its carrying capacity 1st, proven durability 2nd, its towing capacity 3rd. , comfort 4th.

I would imagine the US based F trucks (Dodge or GMC for that matter) have an advantage over Raptor in towing ability just based on being a longer wheelbase vehicle with a few engine options.
The biggest problem I see with the Ranger Raptor (and any 4 door ute based 4X4 here) is the load area is not centred properly over the length of the wheel base, its 1 ton cap is rearward of its rear axle.

Sure its WB is idea for off road capabilities which I understand why most people would buy it but I see a big problem with it (and the others like it) where uninformed owners start pulling large overweight loads, especially 5th wheelers with these type of vehicles.
Gooseneck and 5th wheel should be positioned slightly ahead of the rear axle centre which these can not achieve. (unless using sliding 5th wheel couplings)

The longer WB F truck and its opponents in the US seem idea for pulling large heavy loads and RV type trailers which we are seeing more here.
With such a boom in the RV industry I'm surprised car dealers don't offer a factory alternatively suitable vehicles.
There is more illegally overloaded trade, 5th wheelers and caravans now being let loose on our roads due to no understanding of buying the right vehicle for the job but who can blame them when they are given little choice in vehicles for such applications.

Bringing me back to the Ranger in general If would be nice to see a future Ranger Raptor offered with a couple of different engine options and wheelbase options like manufacturer did in the past.
Just an example.. my own Ford Traders were sold with 5 different wheelbases and had 3 different diesel engine options, wide cab narrow cab single cab or dual, single rear wheels or dual.
I suppose in this global economy we now live in, one size fits all.

Re the name Ranger, didn't it first appear on a 60's Valiant.
No one is buying a Raptor to tow heavy loads with. Nor was it designed for this, although the tow rating is plenty for towing an off road camper trailer. No ones taking a massive caravan out bush. If they want to tow heavy loads they can buy a Wildtrak. Simples.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #753
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Why would someone with a 4x4 that is not built for the street try and race on the road? I dont think anyone is that dumb. If it was something like a F150 Lightning then maybe fair enough
Must be a NSW thing. Any time the left lane ends after an intersection there is a good chance that the two cars at the front will race off to get in front. Doesn't matter if it's a 90's Corolla vs a modern diesel ute. It's even more likely to end in a race if one car was doing 10 below the limit before the intersection.

At least once a week I follow someone who is going below the limit but then decided that full throttle acceleration is needed when I try to pass them. But that's NSW for you.

Wonder if they considered putting multiple engines in it. Even if they offered multiple engines in the same market.
A 4cyl diesel for the posers who want to look cool or people who care about fuel economy(strange priorities for a 80k ute buyer), and a bigger engine that want something with all round performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
I think I read that the Ranger Raptor will be sold in 184 markets around the world. Do you think Ford would care about about some insignificant people(to Ford) on a forum telling them they got it wrong?

Warren
They care as much as insignificant people on a forum saying it's amazing.
Ford only care about people who will pay for their product, everything else is opinion.
Also turns out in some cases as soon as you drive off the showroom floor with a brand new car Ford don't care about you either. How often do they try to get out of warranty claims?
Might be a dealership problem, but still it affect the overall brand.

Last edited by Ben73; 22-02-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #754
roKWiz
Cabover nut

A Sydney thing, my PVan would have a hard time racing a Vespa at the lights.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #755
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
No one is buying a Raptor to tow heavy loads with.
Serious question, whats the target audience and what will they be buying it for?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #756
bretts351
Powered by FORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I think the name Ranger existed before the compact truck did, because I am sure there was an old F150 or F100 Ranger.
indeed. as a trim level onF150. Have a look at post #735 - badge on quarter panel
1928 BARRA Phaeton
bretts351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #757
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No one is buying a Raptor to tow heavy loads with. Nor was it designed for this
No one is buying it for prerunning either, which is what it was designed for. So if they're going to break with the design brief to incorporate an underwhelming engine because they think people want economy, why not also allow for greater towing ability? People kinda want that too, I would have thought.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #758
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’d have thought the most these things will tow is a couple of bikes, a jet ski or two, or maybe a boat. So towing capacity wouldn’t be a great concern.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #759
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Slightly off subject...
I get that its an ideal general 4X4 vehicle (on paper)

But from someone like me (not into offroading) who would be looking into buying a trade vehicle, would look at its carrying capacity 1st, proven durability 2nd, its towing capacity 3rd. , comfort 4th.

Bringing me back to the Ranger in general If would be nice to see a future Ranger Raptor offered with a couple of different engine options and wheelbase options like manufacturer did in the past.
Just an example.. my own Ford Traders were sold with 5 different wheelbases and had 3 different diesel engine options, wide cab narrow cab single cab or dual, single rear wheels or dual.
I suppose in this global economy we now live in, one size fits all.
I just counted 24 variants of the Ranger on the Ford website. Not including the Raptor.

There's two engines, about 4 or 5 trim levels, 2x4 or 4x4, low and high riding, single cab, dual cab, extra cab, various tray options and a range of payloads and towing capacities.

The Ranger Raptor is one vehicle being added to that range at the recreational end. The Ranger Raptor is not a stand alone model. If someone buys that instead of one of the 10 or more work utes available without checking if it meets their needs, well that's their problem?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #760
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Serious question, whats the target audience and what will they be buying it for?
I'm interested in this question as well.

For mine, I assumed (I know, I know) that it would at least have the same towing/carrying strengths as the base Rangers. It ticks just about all the other boxes for me aside from potentially the towing (and yes I do have a off-road caravan that actually goes off-road) and because of that, on the surface it's seems to be excluding a good chuck of its potential market (i.e. those that want all the bells and whistles, plus the off-road performance/looks and towing capacity).

I really like the look (inside and out), plus has great features for what it is, etc.

The engine I think will be a ripper mated to a 10 speed. Not a direct comparison, however the 2lt Amarok completely surprised me on how well it gets up to speed and overtakes, for what is a relatively heavy vehicle. And towing the van is no issue on or off road, with it. Whilst it isn't close to being a speed demon, it's pretty torquey! The Raptor's engine/gearbox should be a step beyond and looking forward to giving it a test drive when they are available!

Anywho, can't wait till it gets closer to the release, so some of the reviews go over what it actually can and can't do in more detail. If all ok, I'll have one in white!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #761
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I recon.. forget about the Raptor Pedigree and remember this will cost about 80k

It will be purchased by those who want to go bush for a weekend but cover ground more quickly with more comfort than other 4WD's on the market.
They will have no interest in towing a large van as there are better vehicles suited to that, but may take a couple of dirt bikes or a jetski.

or they just like the look of it, and like driving across curbs at pace to get to their kids basketball game like I saw some turkey do in a Wildtrack with a Raptor grill last weekend..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #762
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Off roaders, campers and recreational users. No doubt a lot of posers as well. But so far it looks like forward orders are going gangbusters so it looks like Ford actually know more about it than some of the whingers do.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #763
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I don't think its rocket science re the target audience.
IMO this is for the first time in a long time Ford is first to market with this type of long awaited offering re dual cabs 4x4 from showroom floor.
Lifestyle Industry has been booming for 10-15yrs.
To date any 4x4 dual cab can be modded to be a serious or not off roader and suitable for on road, look on the roads everyday everywhere full of them.
Yes there are poser's isn't that in most premium end product lines incl 2wd.
How many are everyday people who like doing beach holidays AND do some light dirt track AND beach/dune driving for fun ??? I'm one of those and when on the beach there are countless people out there doing it, unless you have done this you wouldn't have a clue to say otherwise.
Plenty people don't care to tow a boat or van (me) or have massive loads, I have a SR5 hilux and despite its shortfalls for fam hols loaded with bikes/boards etc its brilliant....I love doing my fam beach holidays, stay in cabins at caravan parks or units and we go on the beach everyday twice 3 times, such fun.
Its such a friggin hoot - a Raptor suits me spot on But I sure would like a V6 at minimum but thats another storey.
I'm just saying the target is huge and most are looking at this with blinkers on regards who would buy it but clouded by the 2.0TT decision.

Bevsta, add in countless terri turkeys thinking they can do as a 4x4dual cab at football carparks as well lolllllll......
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #764
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
No one is buying it for prerunning either, which is what it was designed for. So if they're going to break with the design brief to incorporate an underwhelming engine because they think people want economy, why not also allow for greater towing ability? People kinda want that too, I would have thought.
For me one of the worlds best factory production Baja prerunners means an awesome touring 4wd that would be perfect for a Birdsville run, a Simmo run, Fraser trip, CSR trip, Cape York trip and the list would go on forever......Australia is massive.

Given they’ve thankfully broken the F150R brief to bring us a better chassis/suspension set up, we get to enjoy seeing more of this country in comfort.

I think the motor/gearbox is spot on. I’m happy with what they’ve done.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #765
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Off roaders, campers and recreational users. No doubt a lot of posers as well. But so far it looks like forward orders are going gangbusters so it looks like Ford actually know more about it than some of the whingers do.
Couldnt campers and recreational users get by with the Wildtrack too though?
Old 23-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #766
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
For me one of the worlds best factory production Baja prerunners means an awesome touring 4wd that would be perfect for a Birdsville run, a Simmo run, Fraser trip, CSR trip, Cape York trip and the list would go on forever......Australia is massive.
Yes, Australia is massive, but havent all those places and many more already been conquered prior to us having one of the worlds best factory production Baja prerunners?
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #767
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I just counted 24 variants of the Ranger on the Ford website. Not including the Raptor.

There's two engines, about 4 or 5 trim levels, 2x4 or 4x4, low and high riding, single cab, dual cab, extra cab, various tray options and a range of payloads and towing capacities.

The Ranger Raptor is one vehicle being added to that range at the recreational end. The Ranger Raptor is not a stand alone model. If someone buys that instead of one of the 10 or more work utes available without checking if it meets their needs, well that's their problem?
Yeah but all the dual cab 4X4 ute/trays (not just Ford) still have their load area perched out behind the rear axle and are all the same wheelbase.

Old 24-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #768
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, Australia is massive, but havent all those places and many more already been conquered prior to us having one of the worlds best factory production Baja prerunners?
Yes, and originally by man on foot, horse back and camel, then automobiles. It’s these automobiles that are getting better and better that I’m interested in to take me to all those places again, and more in comfort. No other vehicle will take corrugations abuse or soak up the 1000s of km of dirt roads in Oz like the raptor. Definitely don’t want to do the CSR on camels
Old 24-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #769
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes, and originally by man on foot, horse back and camel, then automobiles. It’s these automobiles that are getting better and better that I’m interested in to take me to all those places again, and more in comfort. No other vehicle will take corrugations abuse or soak up the 1000s of km of dirt roads in Oz like the raptor. Definitely don’t want to do the CSR on camels
Have you actually ordered one?
Old 24-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #770
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ranger sells into something like 180 markets, so it's highly likely that all sales combined
across those markets will give Ford the volume it needs to justify development and then
some..

That certain people feel that they have missed out in Australia is unfortunate but seriously,
this project will actually justify Ford doing more Ranger projects in the future.

A 2.3 EB would be a relatively easy add but perhaps in FX4 or Wildtrak as a point of differentiation.
I think those buyers may appreciate the value of a petrol engine, for now at least.

Last edited by jpd80; 24-02-2018 at 12:00 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #771
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well, I'm with you but I won't agree no other vehicle hasn't survived similar.
There are many enthusiasts running FOX systems on their 4x4's and ARB brought out B-51 coil over a number of years ago https://www.arb.com.au/products/old-...pension/bp-51/ and can't enough of them due to market demand and that started at least 4yrs ago and variants prior.
This is not to dis hearten Raptor but confirm Aftermarket has been into this style for yonks just long long overdue an OE finally came to market as such.
Old 24-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #772
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Couldnt campers and recreational users get by with the Wildtrack too though?
Why should they have too? Because you don't like it

They are free to buy whatever they want. It's a much more comfortable vehicle with better seats and a nice sports steering wheel similar to the FPV's used to have.

Means they can go further off the beaten track than any stock Ranger could.

I'm sure a lot of Ferrari owners probably never even go WOT. Maybe you should go tell them they shouldn't buy one and would be better off in a Camry instead

Last edited by Bossxr8; 24-02-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 24-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #773
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Have you actually ordered one?
Dead set mate - what’s its to you whether I’ve ordered one or not. What difference would it make? It’s a discussion on the Raptor.

I’ve done a full lap of Oz in a modified 84’ BJ42 shorty running 400ci V8 intercooled TD which included the Canning Stock Route. As a poser vehicle, a Raptor wouldnt have rated against this, especially when it ran a 1 metre long side pipe off the turbo . Prob one of the best shorties ever set up for long distance touring on the road and was a labour of love.

Had a separate shorty I did another half lap in which included Cape York. Had a Kakadu V8 which we did the top half of Oz in with our two yr old - our two yr old also did the west coast with us in the V8 shorty. Been all over the Pilbara in a Suzuki and a 78’ shorty (BJ40 running 39’’ swampers). The Pilbara and Kimberlys would have to be the most beautiful places on the planet. We lived in NW WA for 5.5 yrs and was always out and about. Had a DMAX ute which was a fantastic vehicle too. My family loves our off-roading and camping - and yes I am very interested in one given the places we want to go and more again with our kids.

Have I ordered one as yet - No. Have I worded the Mrs up - yep. 80G is a lot of money obviously, but for our lifestyle it would be more than justified and it would be used. It’s an awesome chassis/suspension platform built and designed around stock 33’s with an awesome motor/gearbox - and a ute to boot, absolute gold.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #774
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Dead set mate - what’s its to you whether I’ve ordered one or not. What difference would it make? It’s a discussion on the Raptor.

I’ve done a full lap of Oz in a modified 84’ BJ42 shorty running 400ci V8 intercooled TD which included the Canning Stock Route. As a poser vehicle, a Raptor wouldnt have rated against this, especially when it ran a 1 metre long side pipe off the turbo . Prob one of the best shorties ever set up for long distance touring on the road and was a labour of love.

Had a separate shorty I did another half lap in which included Cape York. Had a Kakadu V8 which we did the top half of Oz in with our two yr old - our two yr old also did the west coast with us in the V8 shorty. Been all over the Pilbara in a Suzuki and a 78’ shorty (BJ40 running 39’’ swampers). The Pilbara and Kimberlys would have to be the most beautiful places on the planet. We lived in NW WA for 5.5 yrs and was always out and about. Had a DMAX ute which was a fantastic vehicle too. My family loves our off-roading and camping - and yes I am very interested in one given the places we want to go and more again with our kids.

Have I ordered one as yet - No. Have I worded the Mrs up - yep. 80G is a lot of money obviously, but for our lifestyle it would be more than justified and it would be used. It’s an awesome chassis/suspension platform built and designed around stock 33’s with an awesome motor/gearbox - and a ute to boot, absolute gold.
Cheaper to move there.

Old 24-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #775
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cheaper to move there.
Move where??
Old 24-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #776
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Move where??
Indeed.

Old 24-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #777
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the ones disappointed in the RR output -

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar180028.html

Would be a fair way off but it’s being discussed.
Old 24-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #778
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Indeed.
Well Fme, the most intelligent post from you yet and only one word needed - usually anymore from you confirms a lot for me.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #779
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Raptor had better look out......

In all seriousness more competition can only be a good thing.

One way to look at it, is that it is a 1st Generation Ranger Raptor.
Where will it all evolve to in subsequent generations if other manufacturers start to compete?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #780
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Raptor had better look out......

In all seriousness more competition can only be a good thing.

One way to look at it, is that it is a 1st Generation Ranger Raptor.
Where will it all evolve to in subsequent generations if other manufacturers start to compete?
Agreed regarding competition. The consumer will be the winner here with some great offerings from all sides over the next few years.