Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car scammer ? Or am I over thinking it?

I need help

I had a gentleman contact me via sms asking about my car for sale he wanted to see the service history and more photos of the interior so I went and took the photos and sent them to him. He then offered me a price that I agreed to he then asked for my photo I'd rego papers and bank details. He said this is to ensure he knows his paying the right person as he will organise a truck to pick the car up once payment has cleared ??. I tried to ring him a few time but it wouldn't ring so I text him back saying I couldn't ring him he said kids hard to talk Look for ur reg papers, in the mean time u can send us ur license if u want and I'll happy to deposit u $500 tomorrow. I then asked his name and where he had seen the car advertised he said car sales I've been on carsales non stop for the last 2 months! Looking for Aussie V8 manuals. I then said I'd like to speak with him over the phone before giving out my details. He rings me on face time audio it was a poor connection even tho he said he was in north Melbourne accent was kiwi/Aussie he then sent me a photo of his Westpac credit card and drivers licence which shows an Asian born in 1971.

I have not responded yet has this happened to anyone here ? Is it safe to send my details?
Old 13-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Car scammer ? Or am I over thinking it?

No. Scammer for sure.

Google his number.

Don't send anything.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scam. Why would anyone need to see your ID? He may then steal your ID and commit identity theft. And if someone says they are prepared to buy a car over the phone or SMS and can't make the effort to come and see it, you gotta ask yourself, why?? Scam, scam, scam. Don't fall for it.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
No. Scammer for sure.

Google his number.

Don't send anything.
I have tried to google his name and number but nothing comes up tho I've never tried googling a number if I'm doing it right I just put the number in and Google that?
Old 13-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregs View Post
I have tried to google his name and number but nothing comes up tho I've never tried googling a number if I'm doing it right I just put the number in and Google that?
That's all you have to do, but just because his number doesn't have a history that doesn't mean he isn't a scammer.

Even if he was genuine, I wouldn't sell a car to someone who doesn't come and look at it. If your Aussie, v8 manual was the only one he had found he likes after months of looking, the least you think he could do is come look at it.

Last edited by Ben73; 13-06-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
as mentioned - scam

you may loose a sale but better than your ID................
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys I'll text him back saying if he wants the car he can come and have a look.
Old 14-06-2016, 03:15 AM   #8
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Standard scam. Surprised you aren't aware of it....
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I have had to deal with a couple of blokes

One bloke texted he was very busy in his job and buying car for his son.

He said he trained Navy recruits and would not be able to inspect the car himself. I rang one of my Navy mates and he said that the recruits are trained in Melbourne.

I shot a message off to him that I visit Melbourne a lot because my wife comes from there. I could drive down for him to have a look at the car and I asked where he lived.

His simple response was Darwin NT.

Who sends messages like that?

I messaged him back - mate are you in luck. It just so happens that my brother in law is with us for a couple of days. he comes from Darwin and he is willing to drive the car back to Darwin. His name is (inset name of copper in Darwin Police I Googled), you may know him, he is a detective sergeant.

The guy never responded.

On the second occasion, my wife was selling her ute. This time most of the contact was by phone and email. he too was buying for his son and he was mentioning about an inspection as he couldn't get to us in person. He then wanted my wife's details, something to do with the finance company. Later she got an email from a finance company in Sydney wanting three lots of identity - you know the same thing that banks/govt. dept. require to identify yourself

She refused and then checked out the company. They had a FaceBook page and also a website. They looked legit. A more detailed look at the website showed up a lot of gobbdegook.

These blokes are crooks and we need a system whereby we can report what they do.

I have bought a few cars over the years. If a bloke rings me up about the car I ask him to send me a copy of his drivers licence up front. If he hesitates it's goodbye.

Most blokes will tell you where they live and have a bit of banter about the car, where there is none of this you know it is a scam. They are trying to steal your identity, or they will send a truck around to pick up the car. You ring him and say that the vehicle has arrived but he hasn't paid. He will then send you a copy of a transaction from Paypal. You check your Paypal account and there's nothing there. He'll respond that there is a transaction delay just like the bank transfer. You ring the cops straight away.

Anyway I enjoy dealing with these guys.

They often ask by text what is your lowest price. I just text back an amount, say $25,000, and no other details. They will often come back with OK and try to start with their scam.

Bastards!
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wrote-Sorry I'm not comfortable giving out my details. If you want the car I'd like you to come look at the car first.

He said Sorry don't have time to do that. The other alternative would be just show me your rego papers with ur name and I'm still prepared to do the deal.
Old 14-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Share the number. I'm sure some of the boys here have some free time tomorrow to kill
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
snopony

Try the number in ReverseAustralia.com, not just google. good for picking up scam numbers or if anyone else has had a problem with a number.
good luck.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Exclamation Re: Car scammer ? Or am I over thinking it?

Quote:
I smell a rat Tregs, a scamming rat.

The likeliness of this "buyer" being genuine is very low. Proceed with much caution mate.

Here's some links to reverse phone number look-ups, not always successful but may help you:

https://au.shouldianswer.net/

http://whocallsme.com/

http://www.reverseaustralia.com/

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #14
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Share the number. I'm sure some of the boys here have some free time tomorrow to kill
Hahaha. Too funny!

Everyone, ring at dinner time.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Hahaha. Too funny!

Everyone, ring at dinner time.
Dinner time for us may very well not be dinner time for him

But yes, by all means do post his details. I've got an unlimited cap on my mobile that I want to test if it is really 'unlimited'...

And don't feel bad about it... honest. They have sent the same email to hundreds and many do lose their money or get their identity stolen.

Sharing is caring

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Thanks guys I'll text him back saying if he wants the car he can come and have a look.
Mate don't even waste your time and effort, if he texts you again just tell him the car is no longer available and move on, from previous experience any genuine buyer will call you and talk to you. As long as you have a reasonable price on it, it will sell, it's just a matter of time
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all for the advice. I will look at those links from supershifty. Just hope I don't get to many of these scammers before I get a genuine buyer.