Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #61
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thinking of thinking of doing an apprenticeship after recieving hsc- any advice would be great

You need to stop talking to mates and grab something by the balls and do it, even when it gets a bit uncomfortable and hard.

I was just discussing with a friend yesterday how todays school system is failing to teach people life skills and some toughness, most kids these days don't want to get their hands dirty.

Seriously, complaining about having to lift stuff and being treated like ****, first realise that until you can contribute to society and have proven yourself you are considered **** in the workplace, no matter what job you do.

When I started working full time I was standing in a factory installing window runner seals for 8 hrs a day with the boss cracking the whip. If you walked in 10 to seven the boss would be up you like a rat up drain pipe as you were late for your 7am start, if you went to the toilet more than once a day he would be asking you questions

Washing up for lunch or morning tea was done in your own time, and all the heavy lifting/loading unloading delivery trucks was done by the **** kickers like me. That's life, you need to prove yourself in a job before you move on to better things once a new **** kicker gets hired that will take over your job as you move up the ladder.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2016, 12:50 AM   #62
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thinking of thinking of doing an apprenticeship after recieving hsc- any advice would be great

Nice advice guys, just struggling to get oppurunities as I'm not pushing myself as hard as I need to and also I'm waiting to hear back from places I apply for.

On a serious note is metro trains worth a crack? I don't wreckon I'll get in but is it worth it? I use to be real keen to become one but like I said previously I lost interest combined with killing people but you blokes also said that's like most workplaces anyway. Is the industry going to be viable in the future? Automated trains etc?
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #63
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just do SOMETHING, anything at all, while you wait to hear back.

What ever you do does not have to be your life career.

If the local Coles is looking for shelf stackers start stacking selves till something comes along, if Maccas needs someone to flip burgers, start flipping burgers, if the council needs someone to pull weeds and mow lawns get on that mower and be the best lawn mower and weed puller there is.

Especially of you don't know what you want to do.

Help your Electrician mate out when he needs a hand for the day, hand out flyers in your neighbourhood for yard clean ups/lawn mowing etc.

No one is going to give you a 100K a year job until they can see you are serious, best way to get a job is to already have one, no matter what it is.

Personally I would go for an electrical apprenticeship or similar, as there is work everywhere for trades, and you can live on the beach in some coastal town and still make the same money as someone being a slave to their mortgage in a capital city.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

5 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #64
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You were considering the RAAF ??
First, every one thinks that RAAF = pilot. Not within a bulls roar of reality.
Second, the Aust Defence Force does not have apprenticships. That is against the UNs charter regarding “child soldiers”. They have adult trainees, being paid good money, and being treated like adults.
Third, if you want to join the RAAF these days, you really want join and know what you want to do. The days of rocking up to a recruiting office, and saying “Here I am , what do you want me to do” are long gone. The better you education results and enthusiasm, the better the chance of getting in.

Everyone wants a start job with $100K per year. Big reality check required there. At the bottom of every ladder is a some-one looking at the blokes butt above you, and you can’t start half way up.

If you are worried about killing somebody while driving a train, don’t drive a car. The odds are way higher in a car. I drove a heavy vehicle for nearly 20 years, and didn’t manage to hit anything harder than a cat.....

Lots of replies have recommended a sparkie, I agree. There is more to that job than putting in power points. Unfortunately, I couldn’t convince my son about that, and he chucked it in to follow a “career” path that rewards him with crap pay and conditions, and me contributing $60K to “help” him achieve his dreams.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #65
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
If you are worried about killing somebody while driving a train, don’t drive a car. The odds are way higher in a car. I drove a heavy vehicle for nearly 20 years, and didn’t manage to hit anything harder than a cat.....
Sorry you are way wrong on that one, a train driver is almost guaranteed to kill at least one person during a career, many hit/kill multiple people. I had a mate who was a train driver, and I recall him saying the average train driver will kill two people. meaning some will kill two, some one, and some more, and the odd one none, also depends on what line you run on.

Many of these will be suicides, my mate had a woman jump in front of him at Kings Cross Station many moons ago.

Quote:
Lots of replies have recommended a sparkie, I agree. There is more to that job than putting in power points. Unfortunately, I couldn’t convince my son about that, and he chucked it in to follow a “career” path that rewards him with crap pay and conditions, and me contributing $60K to “help” him achieve his dreams.
What career pass would entail a 60K outlay to gain crap pay and condition??

Just curious.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 13-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #66
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Sorry you are way wrong on that one, a train driver is almost guaranteed to kill at least one person during a career, many hit/kill multiple people. I had a mate who was a train driver, and I recall him saying the average train driver will kill two people. meaning some will kill two, some one, and some more, and the odd one none, also depends on what line you run on.

Many of these will be suicides, my mate had a woman jump in front of him at Kings Cross Station many moons ago.

Just curious.
Arts degree in 15th century lesbian poetry
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #67
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Thinking of thinking of doing an apprenticeship after recieving hsc- any advice would be great

Quote:
Personal Trainer. I have been stupid enough over the past 10 years of paying his accumulated living expenses because he can't afford to live in the manner that he does.
Why have I done this ? Good question that I don't know the answer to..
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #68
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Personal Trainer. I have been stupid enough over the past 10 years of paying his accumulated living expenses because he can't afford to live in the manner that he does.
Haha that explains it, I think there are more personal trainers than people who want to be trained, I know a few, and none are making any $$ out of it...

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 14-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #69
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your story reminds me of my sister, me old man having to folk out for expenses over the years that she has occurred, whatever money she gets she spends on going out, although she has finally completed her nursing midwife course. She still owes money to me old man who keeps chasing her money back over the years where she couldn't pay her car insurance etc combined with a really expensive party. All up it's around the 10k mark and that's denying him from being able to buy a new car or holiday. I haven't been on a plane for over 15 years I'm 18 19 in couple months and haven't been over seas. I've always learnt to save money which is difference between me and my sister although shes earning good coin now so eventually she will pay back the money to me old man. Only negative is she keeps bringing home diseases which I have a nasty cold at the moment which sucks.

Got a call from VACC today and well the bloke said if i'm to do an app I'd be better off doing a pre app for automotive, so If I want to do it have to enrol. I'm pretty sure this weekend ill see a family mate who does panel beating as I have mentioned and i'll ask him and see if I can get in for a week, get some experience and consider enrolling myself into doing an automotive type job, time to put the hard yards in. Otherwise the plan, apply for a **** ton of places part time work by the weekend, or enrol myself into a tafe course like electrical or something else, i'm fed up of being nothing, let down by opportunities and of course others particularly my family sparkie mate. I use to feel lost during year 12 what wanted to do, like my mother would say, I had no idea that this was going to happen, currently having nothing and being no one. It's time to change, but i'm really struggling.
Old 14-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #70
.:4:.
Kicking back

Just so you know, if you aren't doing an apprenticeship, tafe fees have gone through the roof. Do the legwork first then decide
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #71
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't want to say dumb but when you say leg work do you mean part time job?
Old 14-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #72
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are going to do an apprenticeship, here is the list

Plumber
carpenter
Electrician

Yeah not easy as you will be the **** kicker, but only for a year then the next 1st year apprentice will be the **** kicker.

Once qualified you will never be out of work unless you are a complete muppet of course.

And you be on good $$ with plenty of business opportunities.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #73
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update: as it stands I still have nothing, not ****en proud about it, real mad quite honest.

Attended a session last week for an electrco cert 2 pre app and I'm not interested in being a sparkie. I don't have a passion to be one. I like to think I could be one but why do something your not interested in, the course would cost me 2 grand to do and if I'm not commited to wanting to do it then it's a waste. It honestly sucks for me, 90% of my mates have found something and then theres me still trying to gather myself on what to do. I did VCe during year 12, got my certificate and atar and I've done nothing to show for it, no interest in uni, just a failure at the moment.

I want to be doing something useful with myself, I want something handy to do then to be here sitting on my ***, we all like ti relax but not when your not making $$$ and have a life to live, i'm wasting my time here. It really does suck to be me right now, i'm upsetting my parents and just letting everyone down around me who ask what i'm doing only to hear still looking/have nothing as of yet. I have gotten close to jobs but what ends up happening is I question do I want this or I get told don't do it and just get no where. ****en fed up with it.

I've been told countlessly here to be a sparkie but I can't force myself to be one, the money and useful work is tempting but no passion in wiring, circuits wouldn't be worth it, I need something to kick me out of how I am at the moment, being jobless for this long has made me not want to work in some aspects, enough is enough. I struggle to even know what my interests are, I've had a few sooks because I don't know what they are or what I want. I've seen career advisors a few times now and they don't help me I find. I need something to kick start my life.
Old 17-05-2016, 07:17 PM   #74
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, you are not interested are you??

There is no way that in all this time you can not find a job doing something.

Do you think I had a 'passion' for standing on the factory floor installing rubber seals in windows for 8 hrs a day?? Do you think people have a passion for stacking shelves at Coles or Franklins?? There are millions of things done by millions of people every day that need to be done, passion or no passion.

You seem to be full of excuses.

I can guarantee that if I wanted to work I would get a job in under a week guaranteed, it may not be the job I want to do for the rest of my life, but I would be earning money.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

5 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #75
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing you are on a car forum you obviously are into cars .
So do the next best thin get an apprentaship as a heavy vehicle fitter as the pay is very good if you can jag a job with CAT or KOMATSU etc working in the mines.

I loved being a car mechanic but its one of the worst payed trades .

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #76
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Quote:
Do you think I had a 'passion' for standing on the factory floor installing rubber seals in windows for 8 hrs a day?? Do you think people have a passion for stacking shelves at Coles or Franklins?? There are millions of things done by millions of people every day that need to be done, passion or no passion.
Gotta agree with this one. Your not going to find the perfect job. Wanna know why? - because unless your a quality assurance officer at a brothel or a brewery the perfect job doesn't exist.

Just get stuck in and do something. Make it something that won't wreck your health and something that will always keep you employed (or as close as anyone can get these days). A trade is key here. It really doesn't matter too much if you like it or not, you'll end up hating anything given enough time.

Don't worry about what your education costs are. Seriously, $2K is nothing once you start earning and it will set up the rest of your life.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #77
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

My young brother just got his first job stacking shelves at Woolies. After his first 4 hour shift he said it was boring as all they did was stack shelves. I'm not sure what he was expecting.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #78
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74 View Post
Seeing you are on a car forum you obviously are into cars .
So do the next best thin get an apprentaship as a heavy vehicle fitter as the pay is very good if you can jag a job with CAT or KOMATSU etc working in the mines.

I loved being a car mechanic but its one of the worst payed trades .
That's what I was going to also ask, is there any good car careers to choose from going forward into the future, I applied for a spare parts interpreter job a week ago and i'm yet to hear back from them. Job role sounded not too bad and if you could potentially work for someone like Bmw or another big car brand it would be good I think to myself, I did ask also my local mechanic if could pop in for a few days and he told me straight out after 30 years of experience don't do it, **** all money, hard dirty work, said to be an auto electricican if anything. Don't really like electronics but.

I do have interests in cars but, love watching discovery turbo max wheeler dealers, fast n loud and misift garage, i just wished my family had more interests in cars, I'm the only car fanatic who like them has no mechanical skills dammit.

Last edited by xr6-FTW; 17-05-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 17-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #79
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Become a builder, or chippy, or sparky, or plumber. Stay away from the whole automotive trade.
That way you'll actually be able to afford a nice car.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #80
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Need help in picking a career after finishing high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Become a builder, or chippy, or sparky, or plumber. Stay away from the whole automotive trade.
That way you'll actually be able to afford a nice car.
A nice car is the goal mate, well I should say cars. How important would you saying doing a job you love matters these days seeing that a lot of jobs are going off shore, assembly lines shutting etc, because when I ask people do they like there job its 50/50 from my experiences in asking saying they only do it because they have to, gets food on the table etc.

It's a constant circle of do I don't I but sparky wise seriously, whats the best way to go an do it if you choose to. Do a pre app cert 2 first or just try get a bloke beforehand and go from there. Is it a smart idea to do it if i'm not keen?
Old 17-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #81
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go and get that cert 2. Be it sparky or automotive. It will knock a year off your apprenticeship.
I'm a motor mechanic and do enjoy it. I don't love it though and the pay is rubbish for the tools and skills required.
Old 17-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #82
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeesus, ease up dudes, bumming around for 6 months and getting your mojo ain't the end of the world. 45 to 50 years of work ahead.

I actually started a sparky apprenticeship...but thought better of it, I spent 1 day on the job and hated it. Even my dad said "quit if you don't like it you're young do what makes you happy" (actually he was the only one that supported me on that front).

But I was working in a Supermarket close to full time so doing something I guess. If I was you I'd work at Bunnings or Woolies or something for a while until I worked out what to do. Get some cash and good way to meet a few chicks too.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #83
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can fix heavy earth moving machines or cranes then its not much of a stretch for cars mate not much difference in basic job other than most things are bigger and a lot heavier. Even your basic 9-5 home every night job in heavy machinery pays a lot better than cars .

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #84
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heavy disel mechanic is the area to get into for the money in cars. Had a mate who done it at CAT for a bit and said its real messy and the apprentices fight over making as muxh money as they can. In comparison to me his a big strong boy, he said you did a lot of lifting, in comparison im as tall as him about 186cm but a twig in comparison. He said stuff that work an jumped into being a plumber where now his on his 3rd bloke, the first 2 stuffed him over. He tells me if your a tradie be one like me or an electrician, good money. I could see myself being an electrician as a tradie, more skill and precision, but you need passion for it, all i have is doubt and do i want to really do this in my head.
Old 18-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #85
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

What's your fascination with your body size. You are 18. Most 18 year olds are weak. Work smart not hard. If you can lift 20kg that's all you need. Anything above that will be an assisted lift.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #86
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Start a Carpenter's apprenticeship.

You can work as a framing carpenter, formwork, do odd jobs like building pergolas decks etc. or get into Joinery type work for fit out, wide variety of work to keep thinks changing, great money. Different building site every few months is also great, not stuck in the same place every day.

When you get sick of being on the tools, move onto being a site manager in a construction company, most site managers on building sites are carpenters by trade. Minimum salary would be $150K, most of ours are on over $200K.
Old 18-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #87
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Mate my only advice is do not do an office job. You go mad!!!. Do a trade so your out and about enjoying yourself.
Old 18-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #88
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are worried about tafe fees, go to Centrelink get youth allowance or whatever it is called and you will get a concession card. You can get a big discount on take fees with the concession card.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #89
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in my 12th year out of school and still don't know what I want to do. Had about 10 different jobs and have never been out of full time work. I know I'll never find my perfect job and i don't stress about it because its what you do outside of work that'll make you happy.
As said previously, you have a long working life ahead of you, just get out there, earn some cash and spend it on your car or at the pub or hookers just stop sitting around being a sad sack
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #90
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a public sector job.