Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
pundit
Gazza!

Default Confusion on home invasion.

So woke up yesterday morning to my partner yelling out that the was someone in the house.. I live in a block of units, and the intruder was from another unit 30 meters away..

He let himself in thru a ****** design flaw from the 70's era house in the rear louver window..

Now I am unsure how I feel.. I don't want to live there anymore, I feel betrayed, I had Australian Migrant Resource Centre (his burmese) try to contact me and explain why it happened, to which I couldn't care for.. Allegedly he was drunk and thought it was his house..

On one hand I don't believe it was anything sinister, on the other I don't care, as you wake up to someone in your house and it is what it is, which is a home invasion.

Only reason my missus knew he was there was he kicked something as he walked thru the loungeroom at 6.45am.. I jumped out of bed and held him pinned down until police arrived..

Has anyone here been in this sort of situation, how do you feel.. how should I feel.. what should I do.. I am batt **** scared, and went to the realestate today trying to move.. they are saying yeh it was because he was drunk and thought it was his place.. Drunk people kill and rape people.. Only reason I didn't touch him up as I value having a clean record..

My realestate property manager said they cant see a issue if I move before my lease is up neither does the owner of the relestate buisness but it is ultimatly down to the property owner if I will get penalized for breach of a lease..
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Confusion on home invasion.

Been broken into and you feel dirty for a while.

First thing - any simple way to solve the 'design flaw?'.

I personally wouldn't be moving. Just be thankful it ended the way it did. Could have been much worse.

Has this guy bothered you in the past? Has he bothered your misses? Do you think he was actually drunk or unaware of his actions when caught or is that just the story he gave?

I would just try to put it behind you. Have a look at the weak points of your place and try and be the person breaking in. If you can do it, so can they.

Renting around other tenants is always a gamble - who's not to say the next place you move to is any better?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Sorry to hear bud, being drunk is not an excuse so dont take that as a defence for him.

I think you should have a security review of your home and ensure the landlord sorts it, landlords do have a duty of care.

Has the police charged him? I also think you controlled yourself and acted in a propoer manner.

Hope you and the mrs can sort yourselves. Dont matter what people say you do feel awful and scared afterwards, if you want to move then move you need to do whats best for you. Good luck champ
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Sorry to hear this happened to you, it would definately freak me out having a stranger enter my home.

It is certianly no excuse but if the story is legit, he was drunk and confused; it may help put your mind at ease to talk with him or the Migrant Resource people. Sometimes accidents really do happen......

Many years ago a mate of mine from WA arrived back at his parent’s house after a few months away. He was a chippy and worked in remote areas. It was late so he didn't wake his folks just went straight to his bedroom as he was buggered. He turned the light on and realised someone else’s stuff was in his room. A little girl jumped up from the bed and started screaming at the top of her voice! My mates pig dog went ballistic barking. The little girls parents came running in to find my mate; dirty from days travelling, carrying a rifle and a huge pig dog in their daughters bedroom!

My mate explained this "was" his house; the new owners informed him his parents had sold it to them. It all ended well, they made my mate a cup of tea, and he gave them some pig meat and then proceeded on to his parent new house. His parent said it was all his fault because he never called when he was away.....
Old 27-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear, nothing worse than having someone take away your sense of security.

First thing what you are feeling is perfectly ok, everyone feels and think different and there is no right or wrong way to feel. I would also suggest talking to a professional about the incident.

If you don't feel safe in your own home, then it may be time to start thinking about moving, the last thing you want to be doing is be kept awake at night because you feel unsafe.

Talk to your partner about how she is feeling as she may be feeling the same.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Request thru the property manager for the louvre window to be replaced with something secure.

To not know which house is yours, you'd have to be that far gone you probably couldnt walk let alone break into a house. I'd be pushing the police to press charges. Story doesnt add up IMO.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
pundit
Gazza!

Just went to the police station, he was arrested for trespass.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 27-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Arrange with your landlord to get a locksmith and address any potential security issue.
I was always called upon when new tenants moved in to change locks and fix any issues. Sometimes it doesn't happen due to landlord being a tight wad, take matters into your own hands.

Security and peace of mind is how much you're willing to pay.
Hope it works out ok.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Louvers...
They can be weaker than they look you know, and break pretty easily if secured properly at both ends and someone tries to force them out...big shards that cut like razors...makes a hell of a mess.

Just sayin'...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
DoubleTrouble

You obviously don't want to stay there & the trespasser will always be in the back of your mind, look for another place for peace of mind for you & your missus.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #11
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

So he thought it was his house eh? Who enters their house through a window?

I had a drunk clown jump 2 side fences and claimed he thought it was his cousins house. likely story.
You will get over it, so I do hope you feel better soon.

That clown was the final straw of living in town, moved onto some land and its heaps better.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
pundit
Gazza!

yeh were on the search for a new property. I've been staying at other places since it happen, and 1 night at a hotel.

I went "home" yesterday to grab a few things but it felt wrong, and saw the blokes relatives. I think for me what I find most confronting is that this bloke resides 30 meters away himself. Yes his bail conditions are not to go to me, my missus or house but there are so many of these burmese people in the units i am quite concerned of retribution.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 30-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
yeh were on the search for a new property. I've been staying at other places since it happen, and 1 night at a hotel.

I went "home" yesterday to grab a few things but it felt wrong, and saw the blokes relatives. I think for me what I find most confronting is that this bloke resides 30 meters away himself. Yes his bail conditions are not to go to me, my missus or house but there are so many of these burmese people in the units i am quite concerned of retribution.
I think moving is your best option if just going back home makes you feel uneasy.

Good luck, hope you find somewhere soon.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
I think moving is your best option if just going back home makes you feel uneasy.

Good luck, hope you find somewhere soon.
It does blow a strange can make you violated and potential $1000 out of pocket
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017