Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help?! Me and my mate can't solve this maths question

Hey guys, a mate of mine has asked me to help him on this question he needs worked out and where just lost in how to actually solve it, any advice problem solving done will be hugely appreciated, mind you this is a uni maths question.
Cheers Nick

xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Help?! Me and my mate can't solve this maths question

200 large. 200 small. Just work out the area of the whole floor take away area of small tiles and you have the area of the large. Work out percentages and you are done
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Help?! Me and my mate can't solve this maths question

Firstly, get everything on a common unit. Keep the tiles in mm but convert the floor area from m to mm. 1.5mx3m is 4.5m2 which becomes 4,500,000mm2

The black tiles are just taking up room already occupied by uncut white tiles, so calculate the white tile area first. 150mmx150mm is 22,500mm2, Divide floor area by tile area gives 200 white tiles needed. At $8+GST thats $1600+GST

Theres probably a few ways to calulate black tile count, but on average there's still 1 black tile per white tile. Each black tile has a quarter of its area accounted for the corner of the white tile that needs to be cut to make it fit. 4 corners cut to make 4 quarters gives you a whole tile. So 200 black tiles at $2.50+GST is $500+GST.

So cost wise you're at $2100+GST

Percentage wise dont worry about the floor area as we already see that the space taken by the black tile is already taken from the white tile, and the tile ratio is 1:1. So divide the area of the black tile by the area of the original white tile to get the black tile area percentage. To get the white tile percentage, minus the black tile area from the original white tile area, and divide that by the original white tile area. Black tile is 25mmx25mm so thats 625mm2. White tile is 150mmx150mm which is 22,500mm2. 625/22500 is 0.0277 or 2.77%. 22500 - 625 is 21875. 21875/22500 is 0.97222 or 97.2%. Alternatively you could have just used the black tile percentage, minus from 100 to get the new white tile percentage.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

What I think has caused the confusion is that the picture has the tiles on an angle. Straighten them up. 1.5 has 10 tiles and 3.0 has 20 tiles. 10x20 is 200. Each large tile has 4 quarters of a small tile so one small per large.

Over thinking sometimes works against you
Old 23-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks the the responses guys and inparticular fpv gtho hit the nail on the head mate with your response, much appreciated
Old 23-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #6
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

What uni course did we just pass?
3 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Apprentice tile layer 101
Old 23-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Must be a question from the 60s - you just wouldn't see that tile pattern these days!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

how wide is the grout going to be? that takes up floor area.
Although the large tiles will have the corners cut out, enough of the large tiles will need to be purchased to cover the entire floor before being cut to fit the small ones.
Most tilers normally allow a percentage for wastage.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Most important part of the equation missed.
How much alcohol will be consumed whilst the job is being done?
That could double the required tiles and cost.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
I think that's exponential to the number of apprentices
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post

yep forget all equations use credit card buy too much of every thing factor in taking 3 times as long to complete the job all due to drinking tome so only thing need to factor is you have enough cold drinks to complete job and that misses be missing during said time period

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
how wide is the grout going to be? that takes up floor area.
Although the large tiles will have the corners cut out, enough of the large tiles will need to be purchased to cover the entire floor before being cut to fit the small ones.
Most tilers normally allow a percentage for wastage.

haha, I was about to bring up the width of the grout lines!
I bet they are ignored.
Also, whenever I have tiled, once you calculate how many tiles you will need, always buy more, especially when you need to make cuts!

Real world VS text book question
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #14
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is question 1?...&^%$ that.

Back to gaming.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #15
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
It's my mates first year in uni, course surprisingly is Bachelor of construction management. love the funny responses also here
Old 23-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
It's my mates first year in uni, course surprisingly is Bachelor of construction management. love the funny responses also here
Geez even second year psych is easier than that.......
Old 24-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #17
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
i hope he hits the books and studys hard, that was a very basic question that that didn't even ask for grout or glue and with tiles that were divisible by the length and width of the building.

post up when he wants a cut and fill answer on a 4 way sloping block to the nearest tonne
Old 24-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^ with the cubic meter water run off from an average rain fall after wards

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 24-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #19
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Screw being a tiler.

At those prices - $8 and $2.50 per tile - I'm opening a tiler supplies shop!
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2016, 03:00 AM   #20
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Meet Barry (ie Baz). He’s the go-to guy for house renos in the NSW town of Wellington.

Baz has a problem though. He hasn’t got a driver’s licence right now because he got done for ****y driving after the cops saw him do a burnout in the pub carpark the other night. This was just after the barmaid flashed her tits at him (it was her 60th birthday that night).

Baz’s life decision skills were questioned when he got the message the next day on his FaceBook page about this tiling quote. Rather than wait until the next traffic lights, Baz stared at his iPhone for too long and a cop saw him. This also resulted in Baz’s trusty VN Commodore being impounded for 28 days, complete with the Chev badge that Baz stuck on there last week.

Thus, Baz has been catching the bus to jobs. This is causing him scheduling dramas. His alcoholic tendencies and child support payment pressures are also resulting in a lack of sleep. This combination means that he keeps missing the 7:43am bus that he needs to catch to the train station.

Luckily for Baz, his best mate Garry (ie Gaz) has a car and has been ferrying Baz around whenever he can sneak away from his job as a school gardener. Gaz slept with Baz’s sister (Shaz) a while ago, and the resulting sense of guilt has made him feel a bit indebted to Baz. Baz doesn’t know about this, but that’s ok because Baz has a bit of a thing for Gaz’s mum (who is still looking ok because she had Gaz when she was 16). Gaz’s mum is also the local barmaid.

Baz finally got to the place so that he could do a quote. He took a quick look and then said to the client, “you want a receipt for this or ya payin’ cash?”.

Before the client could even answer, Gaz belted out a quick “Yeah fuggit, make it three grand cash. Can do it next Tuesday for ya” reply.

The client, having finished more than three months of high school, asked for a written quote with a breakdown of the costs.

“Ah crap”, muttered Baz. “I’ve left me iPad on the bus yesterday. I’ll email ya somethin’ later.” In the background was a frustrated Gaz, who wanted to get back to work so that he could perve on the 2pm year 12 aerobics class.

Baz and Gaz left, not realising that they didn’t even have the client’s email address. Baz realised this 10 minutes later, and then an argument developed between them. It was now 1:40pm and Gaz wanted to be set up in the garden outside the gym before the 2pm show.

The argument was won when Baz pointed out that he could use some of the tiling job money to pay back Gaz for that crystal meth from last week. Gaz’s need to pay back his own dealer overrode the need to engage in pedophile behaviour.

In the end, Baz knocked up a dodgy quote and did the job for the three grand. The cost of materials? Nothing, because he knocked it all off from another building site a few months ago.

Despite the tiling being crooked from not sleeping for three days, Baz still got paid. Gaz then got paid. Gaz’s dealer got paid (ie the school principal).

And they all lived happily ever after.

The end.

PS: I’m bored. In case you hadn’t noticed.

PPS: If you wanna print this out and paperclip it to the question then you’re most welcome to. Lemme know what comment it gets.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 24-05-2016, 03:13 AM   #21
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

www.cabloid.com.au
5 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2016, 03:25 AM   #22
prydey
Rob

Great story
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next question.....

Did Baz win TicTacToe, or was it Gaz?
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #24
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe shaz won tictactoe

Old 24-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #25
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

No wonder Gaz couldn't work out the answer...Shaz towelled him up at tic-tac-toe with one less turn...
Old 24-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Not surprising at all. I graduated from the masters degree in Construction Management back in 2011. That's nothing compared to what your mate has in store! Don't even get me started on the CM/Architecture double degree!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #27
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Should also point out that you've overlooked labour charges and profit margin in the total cost of the floor.
The answer we have now is only for materials (only tiles, not grout, and waterproofing going into a wet area).
The question does state TOTAL cost of the floor, if we want to be pedantic. Poorly worded by the academic who wrote it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #28
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
The question does state TOTAL cost of the floor, if we want to be pedantic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
In the end, Baz knocked up a dodgy quote and did the job for the three grand. The cost of materials? Nothing, because he knocked it all off from another building site a few months ago.
Nah.

Profit and cost of materials were covered.

www.cabloid.com.au
Old 25-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Tell them the barthroom is to small and you have decided to buy another house

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
Meet Barry (ie Baz). He’s the go-to guy for house renos in the NSW town of Wellington.

Baz has a problem though. He hasn’t got a driver’s licence right now because he got done for ****y driving after the cops saw him do a burnout in the pub carpark the other night. This was just after the barmaid flashed her tits at him (it was her 60th birthday that night).

Baz’s life decision skills were questioned when he got the message the next day on his FaceBook page about this tiling quote. Rather than wait until the next traffic lights, Baz stared at his iPhone for too long and a cop saw him. This also resulted in Baz’s trusty VN Commodore being impounded for 28 days, complete with the Chev badge that Baz stuck on there last week.

Thus, Baz has been catching the bus to jobs. This is causing him scheduling dramas. His alcoholic tendencies and child support payment pressures are also resulting in a lack of sleep. This combination means that he keeps missing the 7:43am bus that he needs to catch to the train station.

Luckily for Baz, his best mate Garry (ie Gaz) has a car and has been ferrying Baz around whenever he can sneak away from his job as a school gardener. Gaz slept with Baz’s sister (Shaz) a while ago, and the resulting sense of guilt has made him feel a bit indebted to Baz. Baz doesn’t know about this, but that’s ok because Baz has a bit of a thing for Gaz’s mum (who is still looking ok because she had Gaz when she was 16). Gaz’s mum is also the local barmaid.

Baz finally got to the place so that he could do a quote. He took a quick look and then said to the client, “you want a receipt for this or ya payin’ cash?”.

Before the client could even answer, Gaz belted out a quick “Yeah fuggit, make it three grand cash. Can do it next Tuesday for ya” reply.

The client, having finished more than three months of high school, asked for a written quote with a breakdown of the costs.

“Ah crap”, muttered Baz. “I’ve left me iPad on the bus yesterday. I’ll email ya somethin’ later.” In the background was a frustrated Gaz, who wanted to get back to work so that he could perve on the 2pm year 12 aerobics class.

Baz and Gaz left, not realising that they didn’t even have the client’s email address. Baz realised this 10 minutes later, and then an argument developed between them. It was now 1:40pm and Gaz wanted to be set up in the garden outside the gym before the 2pm show.

The argument was won when Baz pointed out that he could use some of the tiling job money to pay back Gaz for that crystal meth from last week. Gaz’s need to pay back his own dealer overrode the need to engage in pedophile behaviour.

Despite the tiling being crooked from not sleeping for three days, Baz still got paid. Gaz then got paid. Gaz’s dealer got paid (ie the school principal).

And they all lived happily ever after.

The end.

PS: I’m bored. In case you hadn’t noticed.

PPS: If you wanna print this out and paperclip it to the question then you’re most welcome to. Lemme know what comment it gets.