Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #31
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: GM Patents Twin-Charged, Variable Dynamic Compression, Hybrid Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
...Before I forget, there were some 2 stage supercharger arrangements where an "auxiliary" supercharger was the second supercharge. Off the top of my head right now, I couldn't say which engine and which aircraft got these.
It's too late here. I'm not typing straight. Need to add "Other than the P63..."
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #32
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: GM Patents Twin-Charged, Variable Dynamic Compression, Hybrid Engine

Too much mathematics going on in here, my brain hurts.
Old 19-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #33
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Just for clarification, the turbo superchargers were not used in turbo compound arrangements.

The PRTs on the 3350s were a more advanced form of turbo compounding than seen on the 1710 in the picture I put up. This arrangement added direct power to the engine crankshaft and supercharger.

BTW the engine I posted was originally meant for Miss Bardhal before the era of the jet turbine powered Hydroplanes.

Before I forget, there were some 2 stage supercharger arrangements where an "auxiliary" supercharger was the second supercharge. Off the top of my head right now, I couldn't say which engine and which aircraft got these.
Thanks Dave...looking at the schematic of the Allison it shows an auxiliary or pre charger arrangement driven by the turbine then the gearbox to the engine?
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #34
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Yes Steve, that is correct, I had the order of the superchargers wrong. That's what I get for staying up way past bed time...

Also, while away from this topic, I did a little research to get some first hand information.

The engine shown is an Allison, but was not from an aircraft. It was a NACA test development engine.

I found the actual NACA paper on the calculations they came up with using that test mule. Pretty interesting reading if you have the time.

http://www.missbardahl.com/engine/te...%20efficen.pdf

I also, found the web page with some more details about the Unlimited Hydro Miss Bardahl.

To complicate matter that team was actually using a Merlin where everyone else was using Allisons. I remember as a kid watching the races on tv all everyone talked about was the Allisons. The dominant boat in the early and mid 60s was Merlin powered.

To complicate things even more yet, those guy were actually going to use the exhaust turbine from a GE type B turbo supercharger as an RTC in a turbo-compound arrangement driving the auxiliary and main superchargers and the crank. I don't know if anyone ever put something like that in a hydro, regardless of power plant?

Here is a little bit of information about that.

http://www.missbardahl.com/engine/te...hancements.htm

Last edited by solarite_guy; 21-12-2017 at 02:35 PM.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: