Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #151
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Id love to drive any V6 Ecoboost but sadly there are none on sale in Australia, or does there seem to be any plans, I've vented about this a few times on here.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #152
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Toyota used to have the V6 petrol in the Hilux that made a decent amount of power. It sold less than 1% of total Hilux sales and has recently been dropped. That's solid confirmation people don't want petrol engines in dual cabs here.
But the Hilux is the Camry of the 4x4 world.
Fleets and people who don't really like cars but have heard Hilux's are unbreakable buy them. These people will usually choose the most fuel efficient option.
If Ford put a decent petrol engine in the Ranger Raptor, I would bet it will be more than 1% of Ranger's overall sales. Not just because of the engine, but because of the other benefits of the Raptor over the standard Ranger.
People who would consider a Ranger Raptor I would say are more likely not not care about fuel consumption and be happy to pay more fuel costs for better performance.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #153
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I'd never given this much thought as I've always hated these utes, but now I'm in the situation where the practicality they offer is starting to become unavoidable - and I hate them even more!

Why is it we only have these horrible under engineered, under engined, undersized, under braked, pathetic toy trucks at absolutely obscene prices that are in no way reflective of what they're actually worth. The profit margin on these has to be insanely huge, for all the makes not just Ford.

The $60k mark gets us a 4/5cyl diesel bucket of misery here, but in the states you can get a V8 F150. I realise it's not a straight up comparison, cars will always cost more here, but this seems a bit extreme. Hasn't One Ford treated us well!?
Simply spot on. Funny how now Australian manufacturing is now just about finished. Common reasons given to closure was that manufacturing was not able to compete and unsustainable in Australia. Then how come these slave labor Thai built vehicles cost soo much? Surely with the $4 per hour labor costs, this should allow for massive savings to the Australian consumer. Nope just cold hard big profits and corporate greed, along with a whole industry in Australia killed in the process. Shame.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #154
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Simply spot on. Funny how now Australian manufacturing is now just about finished. Common reasons given to closure was that manufacturing was not able to compete and unsustainable in Australia. Then how come these slave labor Thai built vehicles cost soo much? Surely with the $4 per hour labor costs, this should allow for massive savings to the Australian consumer. Nope just cold hard big profits and corporate greed, along with a whole industry in Australia killed in the process. Shame.
Everything is connected.
The high cost of goods and services in Australia is due to the high cost of living in Australia, and the cost of living in Australia is expensive due to the costs of buying a house.

Look at all the people patting themselves on the back about how wealthy they are and how many houses they own and then watch them complain about how everything in life costs more than it should. The two are directly linked, one is affected by the other. You can't have a wealthy (on paper) population and cheap goods and services.

It seems a bit rich to accuse corporations of greed when "mums and dads" are equally trying to milk the country for their own benefit. What's the difference?

If the *** were to fall out of the housing market the economy would crash, prices would come down and our people would start picking up tools and machinery again. We'd once again benefit from being able to build and manufacture things in our own country. At least that's what I hope for our country. IMPO we've gone too far down the wrong path for it to be corrected by anything other than catastrophic failure and start again.

Last edited by leesa; 04-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #155
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Toyota used to have the V6 petrol in the Hilux that made a decent amount of power. It sold less than 1% of total Hilux sales and has recently been dropped. That's solid confirmation people don't want petrol engines in dual cabs here. V6 diesel is a better option, but after driving the V6 TD Amarok I wasn't that impressed. It's ok but petrol engines are so much better to drive than diesels. The V6 Ecoboost in the F150 Raptor on the other hand

Drive one if you ever get the chance, it's epic.
Given the option, and as you state, most people will go a 4 pot TDI over a n/a V6 for a run of the mill car.

But we are not comparing a stock Hilux to a Raptor, should be a different ball game all together.

In saying that the EB Falcon didnt set the world alight either (granted the Falcon was dying a slow death anyway).

Point is this car will have no direct competition, perhaps that's good enough reason to not bother with an EB V6 until someone steps up.

I think the USA have done such a good job with the name over there then those who know, and they will be the people buying, expect a certain level of performance and performance feel.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #156
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

drive a 3.5 EB f150 and you will spit on your diesel ranger. 0-60mph (96kmph) 6 seconds.

ranger 3.2 0-100 12 seconds

seriously wtf

fuel economy isnt even that far off

Like every one says - you could buy an early 80's falcon and get all the same performance.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #157
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
But the Hilux is the Camry of the 4x4 world.
Duel cab Utes are the Camry of the automotive world. They had great performance tradesman Utes they stopped making them.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #158
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Duel cab Utes are the Camry of the automotive world. They had great performance tradesman Utes they stopped making them.
That couldn't fit 5 people or drive on the beach. With those performance Utes gone that's even more reason to bring a new version in.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #159
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate our governments collectively as they have allowed this to occur.we now pay top dollar for junk made in a country that is supposed to be cheap. Free trade they called it. Australia sent 100 territory vehicles to Thailand. And they sent 2 million cars and trucks to us. Free trade.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #160
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too true. I've always said you'd have to really really really need one of these things to put up with driving one. It seems a whole lot of people do really really really need one given the sales numbers

But I must admit can see why - go any where, seats 5, carry a bunch of stuff. It's a pretty much 3 cars in one hence their popularity.

But they're not a performance vehicle or anything like it. No tractor truck built on a ladder frame chassis with a diesel engine, leaf springs, rear drum brakes, and such a high centre of gravity could ever be considered a performance vehicle regardless of their acceleration capabilities.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #161
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Neighbour traded his 550 Navara for a V6 Amarok. 4 pot was never going to get a run, a mate and his brother inlaw purchased two 550 Navaras over Rangers based purely on the engine capacity. A four pot 2 lt Raptor will sell as well as a four pot Mustang. Whoever made this call deserves the sack.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #162
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An Ecoblue twin turbo DOES NOT exsist, period. Ford are not building such an engine. Are you guys really going to buy into this UNOFFICIAL news?
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #163
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
That couldn't fit 5 people or drive on the beach. With those performance Utes gone that's even more reason to bring a new version in.
Want a proper 6 passenger truck. Probably cheaper too.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #164
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I hate our governments collectively as they have allowed this to occur.we now pay top dollar for junk made in a country that is supposed to be cheap. Free trade they called it. Australia sent 100 territory vehicles to Thailand. And they sent 2 million cars and trucks to us. Free trade.
Can't agree enough, Thai junk should be sold for the price of what it really is. Shame on Ford and Toyota for silently switching production to that country and keeping the same price tag. Another filthy corporate that did this and thought they could get away with it is Pringles chips, switching to Malaysian production and producing an inferior product and selling at the same premium price tag... (And I'm not rascist , I am Malaysian myself , but I see corporate greed and daylight robbery for what it is)
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #165
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Can't agree enough, Thai junk should be sold for the price of what it really is. Shame on Ford and Toyota for silently switching production to that country and keeping the same price tag. Another filthy corporate that did this and thought they could get away with it is Pringles chips, switching to Malaysian production and producing an inferior product and selling at the same premium price tag... (And I'm not rascist , I am Malaysian myself , but I see corporate greed and daylight robbery for what it is)
Saw similar to this in the bicycle industry, Cannondale my favourite make were hand built in the USA with every bicycle stamped with who made it for a lifetime warranty. Their motorcycle division sent the company broke where it was acquired by Pacific corp.
Cannondale closed its US bicycle manufacturing and are now mass produced Chinese garbage which the gullible public buy at roughly the same price.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #166
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't the idea of shifting Fiesta, Focus production to Thailand to make vehicles cheaper? But price stayed the same....
Old 05-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #167
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are not going to see a lot lower prices with the moving of production, the car makers do it due to government incentives or access to markets. It's not really about costs or lowering prices. Car making is very capital and material intensive, that's not going to change wherever you build them.

There is more labour costs in selling a car than building it anyway. Hence why very high labour cost countries like France, Italy, Germany, UK, Sweden, Japan and South Korea have thriving auto industries.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #168
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Under the bonnet will be an engine with mumbo. Our photographer said it sounded very similar to an EcoBoost V6 F-150 – and that makes sense, given Ford has recently updated this engine for the F-150 Raptor to pump out 336kW of power and 690Nm of torque.
The big F-150 uses the 3.5-litre EcoBoost V6 mated to a co-developed gearbox with GM, a 10-speed automatic." and Australia gets a 4cylinder !!!!
http://www.caradvice.com.au/558226/2...n-waiting-for/
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #169
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Labour costs only make up a small fraction of the cost to build a car. It really has no bearing on the RRP.

It's the government red tape, OH&S compliance, enviro, taxes, electricity costs etc that blow the cost of manufacturing here out. Not to mention the Australia tax that all the manufacturers put on their imported cars cause of our higher average incomes.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #170
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Labour costs only make up a small fraction of the cost to build a car. It really has no bearing on the RRP.

It's the government red tape, OH&S compliance, enviro, taxes, electricity costs etc that blow the cost of manufacturing here out. Not to mention the Australia tax that all the manufacturers put on their imported cars cause of our higher average incomes.
I agree 100%. My main aim of my comment was to point out that people have been brainwashed with the idea that manufacturing is no way sustainable in Australia due to wages. Just proves the age old of blaming unions for everything and apparently "extremely" high wages for end of manufacturing is just utter rubbish. Just small minded people that believe what they read in the Herald Scum. With proper tariffs, reduction enivro, taxs etc like you have mentioned and no trade deals to create a level playing field. Australian manufacturing is perfectly still viable and will always be. With the proper measures in place there is not reason why the ranger could have been built in Broadmeadows and falcon production ended either way due to lack of demand. This goes for all manufacturing across the board, not just automotive. Off shoring local jobs, in favor of bigger profits and greed is killing the country.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #171
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Holden said (for a Productivity Commission report) that manufacturing in Aus added around $1600 in labour costs alone to the cost of the car relative to having it built in an Asian factory. People can decide for themselves whether that's a reasonable cost to bear.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #172
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm Germany, France, great Britain, USA all have wages, taxes, compliance costs etc that we have. They seem to manage paying their workers a living wage.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #173
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car industry is a bit like the fruit shop. Coles and Woolworths step in and lower prices. Little fruit shop closes down. Can't compete. Prices go back up again. Fruit shop gone forever. Sad.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #174
Orangejuicepony

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
It may be time to voice displeasure to Ford about this decision.

Vote with your wallet. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Orangejuicepony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #175
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Hmmm Germany, France, great Britain, USA all have wages, taxes, compliance costs etc that we have. They seem to manage paying their workers a living wage.
Their industries produce volumes that dwarf ours. That sort of economy of scale means they can afford to.

We also had a ridiculous situation where the industry was in clear economic retreat, yet wages and conditions kept improving. Imagine the state of our economy if resource companies had to still keep paying the sorts of rates seen at the height of the boom.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #176
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
The car industry is a bit like the fruit shop.
It sells lemons?
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #177
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejuicepony View Post
Vote with your wallet. Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why let it get that far? Example, prior to the introduction of the 2005 Mustang a lot of possibilities were circulated by Ford to various organisations. A lot of the possibilities had key styling features similar to then current fwd products from Japan. One, in particular would require a Ford badge to distinguish from a Honda Civic. There was a very vocal group within Ford that wanted the Mustang to be re-targeted towards the ricer crowd. The Probe is an example of an earlier such attempt.

Basically, there was a lot of feedback to the effect, "
Ford can obviously do whatever it wants, but know this, we are long time Ford owners and own nothing but Fords now. If you turn the Mustang into a ricer look alike, we will sell every Ford we own and never buy a Ford again".

Did that campaign actually work? I don't know. I do know, the Mustang doesn't look like a ricer.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #178
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
Putting a powerful motor in a duel cab doesn't make it a performance vehicle. Still drives like a boat but uses more fuel.

The as Ford put up seemed more like the raptor was more of an off-road vehicle then a performance vehicle (which seems to be more popular now with the mods going on with duel cab Utes and 4x4 vehicles).
Old 06-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #179
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
An Ecoblue twin turbo DOES NOT exsist, period. Ford are not building such an engine. Are you guys really going to buy into this UNOFFICIAL news?
Maybe it will in 12 months .....
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #180
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Putting a powerful motor in a duel cab doesn't make it a performance vehicle. Still drives like a boat but uses more fuel.

The as Ford put up seemed more like the raptor was more of an off-road vehicle then a performance vehicle (which seems to be more popular now with the mods going on with duel cab Utes and 4x4 vehicles).
Nor does a small capacity turbo, lets use the term performance pretty loosely in this case. Performance can mean many things to different people.

But, in a ute/truck the last thing IMO owners want is the feeling of multiple gear change to mask the smaller engines. When you hit the go pedal you want grunt, not it dropping 3 gears and revving its lungs out.

Sounds like a cracking engine for a fiesta or focus though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 06-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post