Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria > FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
ZX9er

Default Paint issue

I live in an area of Melbourne that is going through a lot of infrastructure changes and the roads are pretty ordinary with stones and dirt all over them.

My problem is I seem to be getting an incredible amount of stone chips, so i was wondering is the paint 'soft' on Fords or is my situation just bad luck.

I had a VT Commodore for 4 years and it had half the amount of stone chips as my XR6 (BA) has collected in 5 weeks. All cars get stone chips but this is ridiculous to the point where I wonder if it is a paint problem.

I have only had the car for 5 weeks and it was imaculate with out blemish so to all of a sudden have all these stone chips is a pain in the but, I take pride in my vehicles and love to keep them as good as I can. This is easily the best car I have owned and i want it to stay that way.

I might need to buy a car bra? Not that i like the look of them but it would stop the chips though I guess

Any comments or personal experiences with this issue and how has anyone else delt with it?

Cheers

Steve

p.s This site seems a little over regulated as it would not let me write the word "a r s e"...... mmmm is that a little too rude?

ZX9er is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome, If you've only had the car a short time maybe there is a chance the front has had a respray and the finish isn't as durable as the factory paint. Generally the factory paint is pretty hardy. If you purchased from a dealer maybe you could approch them and come to some sort of arrangement.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
ZX9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Welcome, If you've only had the car a short time maybe there is a chance the front has had a respray and the finish isn't as durable as the factory paint. Generally the factory paint is pretty hardy. If you purchased from a dealer maybe you could approch them and come to some sort of arrangement.
Thanks AUXRVIII, I think you maybe on to something there as the car is imaculate, from under the bonet, boot, door jams etc. The front struck me as too good for a car that had travelled 60k. The salesman assured me the car had never been in an accident. I think I am going to have a chat with them tommorrow, see how it goes. I will take it to a banel beater I know and get him to give me his opinion before I go. The car is still under waranty.

Thanks for the welcome and your response.

Cheers mate
Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd just like to add that the car may have not been in an accident that would have left significant damage. Maybe there was a nudge to the front bar and the decision was made to respray the bonnet also.
Everytime I wash my car I chamios around the door jambs, boot and bonnet areas as this keeps the areas in close to showroom condition.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
ZX9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
I'd just like to add that the car may have not been in an accident that would have left significant damage. Maybe there was a nudge to the front bar and the decision was made to respray the bonnet also.
Everytime I wash my car I chamios around the door jambs, boot and bonnet areas as this keeps the areas in close to showroom condition.

Hi, I actualy took it to a panel beater today and he said he thought that maybe the front bar was resprayed but he wasnt sure. If it was he said it was an excellent job as it was hard to tell. The paint did seem soft though was his opinion.

I do the same AUXRVIII when I wash it, wipe the door jambs, boot bonnet and its still like new. In fact I think it is better than new.

I will keep my eye on it and maybe get it resprayed if it gets worse. When it is real bad then I will get it done.

I put 20" rims on it today and it looks sensational. I will take photos tommorrow and post em in the "show n Sine section. The car is already in there but will update the pics

Cheers and thanks again
Old 08-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
SVR73
Mr Polish

If you think your car cops it and is soft, you should tell that to subaru WRX owners.
Subaru paint from 01 onwards is damn soft and also quite thin
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
ZX9er

Hi SRV73, thats a pain in the ar/se for rex owners.

Its very frustrating when you take pride in your vehicle only to find stone chips appear almost everytime I take the car out.

Cheers