Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
kaddy
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Stereo System Question

Does anyone know if it's possible to set a default volume level for the radio?

The annoyance I am finding is when switching from CD to radio. The comfortable volume level for a cd is on average - 8. The equivalent radio volume is about 4 (a voulme level too low for a cd). So, if you switch from the cd to radio without first adjusting the volume, it's deafening. I've not come across this with any car stereo system before. Wondering if there is a way to rectify it.

kaddy

kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
scribbly

According to the pdf copy I got off 'TheColonel' there is a separate Audio Handbook. I did a search and found what looks like an official Ford Site for manuals. The audio manual is listed at about 3.5 Euros.
Of course you would think the dealer would supply this....

https://www.z-order.de/(S(f5ymbhr5c0rfvd45njxorxfh))/Selection.aspx
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Katoomba

If fellow Mondeo owners have a few minutes to spare, I would be grateful if you check your system to see if you have Kaddy's volume problem too.

I'm finding it really irritating (and potentially dangerous) and don't believe it should be happening in a $39,000 car. So much so that I'm going to report it as a fault at what used to be called the after sales service (can't remember the new fancy name for this checkup).
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
jared79
Sock Puppets

Dont think you can, the only time I have noticed the volume drop when changing is when I go to the phone and then back again. My AUX is always lower. That being said, it would be great to do it. Because I mainly use my iPod in my car, you have to have the volume up at about 15-20. Now try changing the input to the Radio. Wakes you up pretty quick. I just have to remember to turn it down prior to changing.

I have been through the manuals and I cant find anything that would do what we want it to though. What I want to know is can i hook up a Sub and amp to this head unit. Know one seems to know.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
monkeyboy666

I haven't noticed the difference between the radio and the CD player, when I switch between them the volume level is the same. I mainly have mine set at around 14 or so though - maybe the louder it is the less noticeable the difference is .. or maybe my ears are just too damaged from having it up at that level to pick it!?!

One thing I did set to 'on' was the compression(?) setting under the menu option when playing a CD - its meant to get all the CD's to be at the same volume level - maybe that affects the radio too?

I can understand the Aux being at a different level since your Ipod / other brand mp3 player will have its own volume control independent of the stereo unit. I have my (non Apple) mp3 player volume at max which seems to equate with the level of the radio and CD - in that if I switch between CD/radio/Aux they all seem to have the same volume level and I'm not diving for the volume switch to turn it down when I switch between them..

Is that what this post was asking..?
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
I haven't noticed the difference between the radio and the CD player, when I switch between them the volume level is the same.
I was hoping someone might say that because I think the volume change is a fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
... if I switch between CD/radio/Aux they all seem to have the same volume level and I'm not diving for the volume switch to turn it down when I switch between them..

Is that what this post was asking..?
Yes, that's exactly the effect I'm trying to achieve.

The dealer is sending me the latest Australian manual (Oct 07) and perhaps there's something in that.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Katoomba

I mentioned the volume problem at the after sales checkup. The service guys checked all the Mondeos on the lot and found the problem common to all of them. They said they will forward the info to Ford as a fault report.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
I mentioned the volume problem at the after sales checkup. The service guys checked all the Mondeos on the lot and found the problem common to all of them. They said they will forward the info to Ford as a fault report.
My question to you is this;

When you go from radio to CD does the 'indicated' volume on the display change?
Easy to check, when the radio is on, turn the volume and note the indicated level. Than switch to CD and do the same, I think you will find the actual volume level remains the same and its the sound level that your CD's are recorded at that are causing the issue.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Katoomba

The volume number stays the same: it's the sound level that changes. I am also using commercially recorded CDs not home-burnt ones.

I've had a LOT of cars of many different brands over the years and this is the first time I've ever experienced this. I still have a Laser as well as the Mondeo and there is no noticeable difference in sound level when switching between modes.

The dealer's service dept conceded it was a fault.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
kaddy
Starter Motor

For me the issue is definitely not caused by the cd recording levels. I've tried numerous cds - both purchased cds and those I've recorded myself. Have also played the same cds in other cars (Laser, Falcon, 380) none of which had the problem. In all 3, the volume level remained the same when switching between radio and cd.

Can only conclude this is a fault with the Mondeo stereo system.
kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
jared79
Sock Puppets

I find that the difference between the radio and CD are very similar in mine. But I use my iPod with the AUX connector and you have to have it cracked (to about 15) to get a descent volume out of it. You just have to remember to turn it down before you change to the radio or CD. One thing i have noticed is when I use my phone through the bluetooth. It lowers the volume, so if I go back to my iPod after a phone call, it's about 5 levels lower. Kind of strange. Maybe they will have a firmware update that will fix this issue.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
The volume number stays the same: it's the sound level that changes. I am also using commercially recorded CDs not home-burnt ones.

I've had a LOT of cars of many different brands over the years and this is the first time I've ever experienced this. I still have a Laser as well as the Mondeo and there is no noticeable difference in sound level when switching between modes.

The dealer's service dept conceded it was a fault.
weird! mine is normal.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
TheColonel

I've had no issues with mine, volume levels are consistent.

It's not something like the EQ levels being different between cd/radio/aux as they can all have independent settings (well at least on the Sony version found in the xr5)
Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The Aux input is pretty light on for volume, but changing between radio and CD doesn't cause me an issue.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post