Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Default AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade

I know this has been covered a million times but some of the main things have never been answered, I changed my AU3 Forte cluster to a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster today, all working great, only thing is that i dont have a trip meter as the high series have it in the climate control? and havn't wired up the individual door ajar and the washer fluid senser

all the tec docs around give basic instruction on upgrading a series 1 and just say change this these pins, not very easy to understand

the instructions for series 1 are pretty much the same for 2/3 with one of the wires changing colour but all pin locations staying the same

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2. - Brown
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3. - Light Blue / Red
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23 - Orange/Black
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26 - Green / Light Blue (Series 1 is White / Light Blue)

(Using the Photo Below) The Pin numbers start from bottom right and go in a U shape to the top right spread over the 2 connections, so a total of 28 pins one connection has 8 pins (that does not exist on base model wiring) and the other has 20 pins

this photos is of the back of a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster with a AU3 Forte Wiring loom, with the pins removed from the connection

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

correction... i do have a trip meter, but no dte...

Was

Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 21-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

DTE will be found on the left hand side of the climate control display.
Old 21-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

On a Forte? Don't think so. In fact I'm pretty sure you won't even find CC display.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
On a Forte? Don't think so. In fact I'm pretty sure you won't even find CC display.
I don't know either but according to the "Instruments" section here http://www.trueblueford.com/AU1_intro_INTERIOR.html all AU Falcons came with DTE.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I don't know either but according to the "Instruments" section here http://www.trueblueford.com/AU1_intro_INTERIOR.html all AU Falcons came with DTE.

Yeah, all AU Falcons came with DTE, however, the Fairlane and the T-Series except T3TE had it displayed in the centre console along with the climate control and fuel usage displays. The Forte, XR and T3TE all had it on the dash cluster.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
brad`
The Monty

also all fairmonts had it on the climate control, all series

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

so mine being a forte with a ghia cluster, it no longer displays dte, still beeps when low on fuel. i wonder how harrd it would be to wire up the climate contol screen (just to display fuel usage etc.)

just had a look at the wiring diagram of the cluster and the nothing special the there... just door open wires etc...

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont

Last edited by cam.giles; 21-09-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 22-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

im sorry for hijacking the thread mate ive got an au2 futura does this mean i could use the au2 monty cluster, as i crave the oil and volts metres?

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
im sorry for hijacking the thread mate ive got an au2 futura does this mean i could use the au2 monty cluster, as i crave the oil and volts metres?

Yep, that is correct, either 'mont or XR cluster will go in, just need to change pin locations etc according to diagram, and then either get Ford to disable the Rad and Washer level lights or connect the sensors

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Yep, that is correct, either 'mont or XR cluster will go in, just need to change pin locations etc according to diagram, and then either get Ford to disable the Rad and Washer level lights or connect the sensors
thanks for that..

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
disable the lights...so they would be on - like a warning light unless disabled?

i have a line on an XR cluster & am keen to do this
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Tors77AU
NEED MORE CASH *** ***S!

Ok, ive got an AU series 1 forte, and i plugged in a series 3 fairlane cluster and everything worked minus seperate door open function, the illumination and the dimming function.

In the docs on here and on ford mods it says that you have to change your oil pressure swith to a sensor, yet i get oil pressure reading on the gauge.

Guy that i bought it off used to work for ford a told me that all the AU oil senders where the same, just on low series when the voltage reaches a certain point it switches the oil warning light on.

Is this corect? seems to be the case with my 99 au anyway.
Tors77AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tors77AU
Ok, ive got an AU series 1 forte, and i plugged in a series 3 fairlane cluster and everything worked minus seperate door open function, the illumination and the dimming function.

In the docs on here and on ford mods it says that you have to change your oil pressure swith to a sensor, yet i get oil pressure reading on the gauge.

Guy that i bought it off used to work for ford a told me that all the AU oil senders where the same, just on low series when the voltage reaches a certain point it switches the oil warning light on.

Is this corect? seems to be the case with my 99 au anyway.
has been mentioned a few times around here, au1's had a "proper" oil pressure gauge, that actually moved as oil pressure changed. au2 and 3 only had a basic one that would just sit sorta half way all the time, without actually measuring the oil pressure, so they just ran a normal oil pressure switch instead of a pressure sender...

hope that makes sense...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know this has been covered a million times but some of the main things have never been answered, I changed my AU3 Forte cluster to a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster today, all working great, only thing is that i dont have a trip meter as the high series have it in the climate control? and havn't wired up the individual door ajar and the washer fluid senser

all the tec docs around give basic instruction on upgrading a series 1 and just say change this these pins, not very easy to understand

the instructions for series 1 are pretty much the same for 2/3 with one of the wires changing colour but all pin locations staying the same

The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly,
1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2. - Brown
2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3. - Light Blue / Red
3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23 - Orange/Black
4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26 - Green / Light Blue (Series 1 is White / Light Blue)

(Using the Photo Below) The Pin numbers start from bottom right and go in a U shape to the top right spread over the 2 connections, so a total of 28 pins one connection has 8 pins (that does not exist on base model wiring) and the other has 20 pins

this photos is of the back of a AU3 Fairmont Ghia Cluster with a AU3 Forte Wiring loom, with the pins removed from the connection

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

did you heatshrink them yet?
Old 25-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
did you heatshrink them yet?
Not Yet. Because I used the Floppy drive power cord going into the cluster I twisted and uesd electrical tape. No expossed wires any where. I will wait a few days to see if anything 'unplanned' happens then heatshrink them.
Thanks for your comments as I have done this job, it does help.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
nuguy01au
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU 2-3 High Series Cluster Upgrade

just wondering do you SWAP the pins over or move them into new position and remove other wires
also do i need the second connector for the cluster?
i have an au2 2001 with base cluster and replacing with a fairmont/fairlane cluster and need help. photos of before and after would be a huge help
nuguy01au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy01au
just wondering do you SWAP the pins over or move them into new position and remove other wires
also do i need the second connector for the cluster?
i have an au2 2001 with base cluster and replacing with a fairmont/fairlane cluster and need help. photos of before and after would be a huge help
This might help you.
This is what I did with some pics. Its not a full how to however. Mine was an AUII low to high series.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11319816

UK
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
nuguy01au
Starter Motor

aha now i got it am going to do it tonight see how i go
cheers
Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
aha now i got it am going to do it tonight see how i go
cheers
Good Luck, let the forum know how you go.
UK
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #22
nuguy01au
Starter Motor

yes it is in and workin just gotta get radiator coolant low light to stop flashin
Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
yes it is in and workin just gotta get radiator coolant low light to stop flashin
Goo to hear, not had the radiator coolant low light to stop flashing issue (yet ) Post some pics of it in.
UK
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Goo to hear, not had the radiator coolant low light to stop flashing issue (yet ) Post some pics of it in.
UK
iv seen it maybe twice in the 2+ years iv had the cluster in... doesn't stay on for long and i defiantly dont have a sensor.

One annoying thing i about a high series cluster and low series dash it you lose you DTE, but it still beeps at 80kms to empty every time you start the car etc you just cant reset it (you have to wait for it to finish beeping, which feels like 5 minutes)... the fix for that is to fit a high series dash

Cheers Cam

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #25
nuguy01au
Starter Motor

dont really want dte anyway
the low washer level light disappears but not the low coolant level light. a sensor needs to be fitted in the car somewhere to stop it
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #26
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can download a doc with all the required pinouts from my server http://www.hunterit.net/cluster.doc

if you are using a S2 or 3 cluster don't change the oil sender

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #27
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
dont really want dte anyway
the low washer level light disappears but not the low coolant level light. a sensor needs to be fitted in the car somewhere to stop it
you still get the dte beeping, just lose the ability to view the kms and stop the beeping...

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #28
BadTruck81
"Layin Frame"

Did you get the low coolant light off mate as i have the same prob and cant get rid of it????
BadTruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #29
nuguy01au
Starter Motor

i went and bought new coolant bottle and sensor and fitted it in had to do bit of homemade wiring cause didnt have the plug
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
BadTruck81
"Layin Frame"

Where did you tap in the wiring???
BadTruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post