Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
PeteBlu
Starter Motor

Question Can a hose clamp be over-tightened?

I recently had a mechanic tell me that it is impossible to over-tighten a hose clamp so much that it could cause a flange to break. This was after they replaced the radiator hose in my car, and the flange on the thermostat housing broke off (see pic.)

Seems unlikely to me, what do you think?

Cheers.
PeteBlu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Can a hose clamp be over-tightened?

I've broken a few new hose clamps over tightening. SS, mild steel.
Broken a alloy pipe flange under it over tighening one as well.
New stuff seems to be chinese junk.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

it would depend what you did it up with. A phillips head screwdriver will only let you go so far, but a 7-8mm socket can go a lot harder.
9 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlu View Post
I recently had a mechanic tell me that it is impossible to over-tighten a hose clamp so much that it could cause a flange to break. This was after they replaced the radiator hose in my car, and the flange on the thermostat housing broke off (see pic.)

Cheers.
Looks badly corroded, which would have caused it to break off.

But care should be taken not to overtighten hose clamps, otherwise they may fail too.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Do you use coolant? Is it the proper ford coolant?
Old 18-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Looks badly corroded, which would have caused it to break off.
I think he has a Mondeo with a plastic thermostat housing. And they are more vulnerable to stress fractures like that. Pretty corrosion resistant thought :-)

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-01-2019 at 02:24 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
PeteBlu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Do you use coolant? Is it the proper ford coolant?
Yes, and yes. Can I ask why?
Old 18-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
PeteBlu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I think he has a Mondeo with a plastic thermostat housing. And they are more vulnerable to stress fractures like that. Pretty corrosion resistant thought :-)
Correct. And the stress fracture could be caused by over-tightening the clamp do you think?
Old 18-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; plastic deforms then breaks.
Old 18-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Ah, it looked like badly corroded aluminium. Sorry.

Yes, plastic would break.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
xeeclipse
Banned

Always used TRIDON clamps. They don't cut into the hose like some other brands.

Should always be done up with an 8mm 1/4 drive until the worm drive binds. If reusing an old hose either switch the drive around 180 degees or trim if excessively swollen.
xeeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hose clamp's should never be done up tight, let alone super tight.
Just firm, if the correct hose is used and in new condition then the clamp should only be firmly done, if you over tight them then you run the risk of future leaks.

The clamp should be just positioned on the far side of the ridge on a housing and done firmly, people often over tighten clamp's thinking the tighter the better but in actual fact you squeeze/squash the hose and cause leaks.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It's also good practice to put a thin layer non hardening gasket goo around inside of the hose end far enough to go past that ridge. It helps the hose slip on and prevents leaks by filling any nicks, dents and casting imperfection in the fitting it's going on. It was normal procedure when I first started working on cars and was even prescribed in various factory workshop manuals but seems to fallen out of favour in recent decades. I usually use this: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...ealant-liquid/
Old 19-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's also good practice to put a thin layer non hardening gasket goo around inside of the hose end far enough to go past that ridge. It helps the hose slip on and prevents leaks by filling any nicks, dents and casting imperfection in the fitting it's going on. It was normal procedure when I first started working on cars and was even prescribed in various factory workshop manuals but seems to fallen out of favour in recent decades. I usually use this: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...ealant-liquid/
This was common when manufacturing variation was much larger than it is today - back in the day when dad would pack a spare fan belt, tools, water for anything more than a 30 mile journey "just in case"

Modern manufacturing techniques have reduced the variation so it is no longer a problem (in modern countries). The tolerances they make stuff to nowadays is amazing in comparison to back then, unfortunately others things have also progressed - we also now know how to make something last *exactly* 3 weeks longer than the warranty...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #15
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plastic coolant flanges go brittle with heat and age so it is possible that over tightening the hose clamp could cause this.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
This was common when manufacturing variation was much larger than it is today
I'm not convinced when it comes to cooling system parts; some of the Chinese castings, even for OEM parts, for thermostat housing and water pumps I've seen are fairly rough. Yes the plastic radiator tank pipes and thermostat housings are much more perfect. I think the quality of the castings from the Japanese and Australian factories from the 60's, 70's and 80's was better. The other problems using sealant overcomes is the modern phenomena where pinholes have been punched in hoses where price or number tags have been attached to them with plastic ties.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 19-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

What Gates says at https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/...april-2015.pdf :

Quote:
Hose suggestions: Replace with the recommended Gates hose. Gates uses
compounds that offer better resistance to the negative effects of compression set.
Clamp torque suggestions: To avoid cold water leaks, adjustable tension clamps must
be retightened after a brief run-in period. Another solution is to use constant-tension
clamps, which automatically adjust with the heating and cooling of the system.
Connector suggestions: A beaded connector offers better sealing and retention
characteristics. The smoother the finish of the connector, the less tendency to leak under
the clamp. Brass and cast iron fittings adhere to common rubber compounds after time,
which reduces possibility of leaks, as does the use of sealants and viscous gels.

And Supercheap https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/bl...ator-hose.html :

Ok I know SC are not always the best place for tech advice.

Quote:
Apply some sealing compound to the inside of the new hose fittings and place the loosened clamp over the hose ends before sliding the new hose into position on the engine block and radiator fittings.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 19-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Typically cast parts also have a joint ridge where the two parts of the mold join running the length of the pipe fitting on both sides like on this apparently OEM BA Falcon thermostat upper housing

from ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/p/BA-BF-Falc...Ltd/1171348148

Sealant will help seal the hose there. Even plastic parts often have these mold join lines e.g.: https://www.ebay.com/p/Coolant-Coole...18/23014214355

Ditto with this Ford OEM FG one albeit the the ridge looks smaller and smoother except on the underside outer lip and look at the lump there https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-...H0-:rk:43:pf:0 So more precision hmmm? Perhaps we've gone full circle and the focus on cost of parts rather than quality means the use of sealants on coolant hose will be back in fashion again.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 19-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has said sealant is a bad idea, combined with tightening firm, it is a rock solid combination

The old gasket goo / aviation cement #3/4 use to be top shelf of every tool box, that's not the case any more.

regarding quality, (as with many things - including hose clamps) you usually get what you pay for, I wouldn't use no name brand hose clamps or thermostat housings - cooling and oil systems are too important.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well you won't overtighten a spring/constant tension clamp.

IMO they are better than the screw drive clamps.

Anyone have any negatives/bad experiences with them? - apart from getting them off, which is usually because of not using the correct tool.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I prefer this type of stainless T bolt hose clamp but there is probably even more chance of over-tightening and breaking something.:

I find the spring/constant tension clamps lose tension with age.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-01-2019 at 12:18 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 12:37 AM   #22
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I find the spring/constant tension clamps lose tension with age.
Yes they do, and replacing them is easy enough - can't say though I could ever find any the size for the upper and lower rad hoses.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 12:37 AM   #23
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

You can definitely over-tighten a hose clamp on a car which has plastic inlet/outlet pipes on the radiator. With heat cycles and age the plastic gets brittle and it's not uncommon to see them collapse. I don't reckon it would even be that hard to crush a brand new plastic hose if you got a bit over-excited and kept tightening it.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post

Anyone have any negatives/bad experiences with them? - apart from getting them off, which is usually because of not using the correct tool.
Haha, I think the question should be, has any had any good experiences with them? Bloody dogs of things, especially if it’s in a tight spot or they need to come off/on with the engine hot.

I think if someone doesn’t have the ‘feel’ for tighten a conventional clamp with a ratchet, then they should probably leave the job for someone else.

When I was an apprentice at a truck shop we were Iveco service agents. Probably the worse built trucks with more PD issues than anything else. Around ten years ago the NZ fire service ordered some 80 Euro cargos, which ****ed coolant out of nearly every hose. I was sent to where they were kitted out for a week to seal up all the hoses with that aviation sealer... I can still remember what it smells like and it took about one week for it to run off my skin but it did the job.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post

Must say I've had a couple loose their tension. Many the smaller ones around a heat source.

Old 20-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The heat shrink (e.g. Gates Powergrip) ones never seen to have caught on here like they did in the US. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O91YqHbp8c

Anyone ever used them or found them in a production car here?
Old 20-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #27
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlu View Post

Cheers.
Plastic = hard and brittle. Cast metal = corrosion.

Over tightening will be a contributing factor but not the main cause

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The heat shrink (e.g. Gates Powergrip) ones never seen to have caught on here like they did in the US. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O91YqHbp8c

Anyone ever used them or found them in a production car here?
Looks nice but wouldn't fancy carrying extra removal tools and having to replace one out on the side of the road.

"Honey did you bring your 12v hair dryer."

2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The other issue with cast aluminium is that the cooling and/or quench cycles ( see http://www.themetalcasting.com/alloy-cooling-rate.html etc) can have an impact on both the strength of the product and the susceptibility to fracturing so the skills, experience, quality controls and cooling technology employed in the casting factory/foundry will be a factor. Where castings are left to air cool on racks, or cooled with blown ambient air even very variable ambient temperature or climatic location of the factory site may also be a factor (perhaps sometimes the sub zero sometimes in some Chinese factories V generally much warmer Kilkenny Castings in South Australia).
Old 20-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Looks nice but wouldn't fancy carrying extra removal tools and having to replace one out on the side of the road.

"Honey did you bring your 12v hair dryer."
Yes definitely an issue. They've been using them for about 20 years in North America including on some production cars and they are also called shrink band clamps (see https://books.google.com.au/books?id...0bands&f=false etc.) and Boa Clamps (as in boa constrictor and with a wide variety of brand names. I can see why manufacturers would like them on assembly lines; probably much quicker to fit and a quaranteed seal but I wonder what their in use life is like.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-01-2019 at 02:54 PM.