Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
falcon fg

Default Making a 6 cyl cross flow sound like a v8

I know a 6 cylinder pre cross flow with twin exhausts can be made to sound like a v8.
Can a steel head 6 cylinder cross flow be made to sound like a V8??
Has anyone done it??
falcon fg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Making a 6 cyl cross flow sound like a v8

First, I don't think what you stated about the straight 6's mentioned sounding like V8s is exactly possible, but with specifically designed exhaust relative the the firing order can be somewhat approximated.

Assumptions:

90* V8 block with 90* cross plane crank
I6 blocks blocks mentioned with 120* cross plane cranks

What makes the typical V8 sound is the combination mentioned above mixed wih conventional 4 into 1 exhaust. NO 180* headers. NO X-pipe.

This combination results in each bank firing 2 cylinder sequentially on each side during their firing sequence.

To approximate this, you want a similar effect from the I6 headers. That is, force 2 sequential cylinders to fire on each side of a 3 into 2 system with a single out pulse 240* out of sequence on the 3rd pipe of each pair of the . 3 into 2 system.

A similar effect will occur, but not exact.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
falcon fg

Thanks, I will take you advice to an exhaust shop this week. You are correct when you say the pre cross flow exhaust sound is not exactly the same as a V8 but it does sound very similar and with twin pipes most "non expert" people don't recognise the difference. I have spoken to an exhaust shop previously who said pre cross is easy to do to get the required sound but a cross flow is very difficult. I'm hoping some one on here has had it done and therefore I can tell a shop what I want. Please keep comments coming.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon I know the sound you're seeking falcon fg!

Certainly back in the day there were a lot of six cylinder falcons running around that I always considered had either the 'right' or 'wrong' sound when it came to modified exhausts.

Dependent on the style of extractors used, one had a kind of throaty sound reminiscent of a V8, and the other sounded like a bad fart!

I remember one mate had a 250 three on the tree ute that he put pipes on and it sounded really nice. Another mate liked it as well and thought he'd do the same with his 4.1 4 speed XC panel van, and it sounded terrible.

Don't know if that was due to the wrong style of extractors or something to do with the cross-flow head design.

Russ.
ozpacman is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
falcon fg

Thanks for your comments Russ. I agree with what you said. Hopefully someone has got a 4-1 with the right sound.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the 70's I had a mate with an xb pano that you would have sworn had a v8.
I couldn't believe my eyes when he popped the bonnet and there was a 250.

Unfortunately all I know is it was a combination of extractors, Lukey mufflers and twin 2 inch pipes. How it was configured I have no idea sorry.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The trick is to run dual pipes and a set of extractors with long primaries in a 321 format.

The secondaries need to be long cut the pipes and flange and run dual exhausts.

The set up I have on my xf runs back to a single for the cat, but splits after into dual hooker aerochambers and a couple of hotdogs.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Make sure you add a balance pipe/tube to help to achieve the required sound.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
falcon fg

Thank you eb2fairmont. I have a few questions you may be able help me with.
1. Are your extractors a brand name off the shelf or are they custom made?
2. I notice you have a cat in your system and the two pipes go single into the cat then two out. I don't need a cat due to the age of the engine (1976). Do you think that I need a cat in my system to achieve the V8 sound?
3. What size are your pipes?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
falcon fg

Thanks Mercury Bullet. I believe 250's are easy. The 4.1 crossflow is different and difficult.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My understanding was the pre crossflow sounded better because of the siamese 3-4 cylinder port. Maybe if you ran a balance pipe between the 3-4 primaries on a crossflow you could replicate it.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
Back in the 70's my 62 EK P/van had a set of speakers just inside the top tailgate,run my tapedeck through a small amp,always drove with tailgate up,we would play very loud V8 cars revving their heads off at the lights,guys next to you didn't know what you were running,lol,.that's a true story too.

Cheers Vilhjalmur.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must have a lumpy camshaft, twin exhaust ,6 into 2 extractors will be as close as you are going to get.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
falcon fg

Yes slowsnake I've heard of this before.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

twin system

hot dogs

no mufflers
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #16
falcon fg

Thanks Dunga. I appreciate your comments (noted)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #17
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

In the 90s i had an xd with a warm cast x flow with the second largest off the shelf crow hydraulic cam available,stupid people that weren't into cars all thought it was a v8,250psi static compression may have helped that...
The exhaust was nothing special,motivator extractors and a single 2.5 with a lukey straight through,drone city......
Id say a decent sized cam for a start.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want v8 sound, just buy a V8. All the money in the world will not make a crossflow 6 sound like a cleveland.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
Must have a lumpy camshaft, twin exhaust ,6 into 2 extractors will be as close as you are going to get.
Hello,
You are pretty well spot on there,I know you are talking Fords but my Grey sounded just like a 302 F100!
Especially to the cops,every time I was pulled over around Liverpool/Cabramatta it was "lift the bonnet", every time,

Had mildish cam,2 piece extractors,(3 into 1) twin 1-3/4 DIA exhaust and just 22 inch Lukeys,the head was ported and polished with near 30 thou shaved off it,run triple 1-1/2 SU carbs!
Yes you are spot on!

Cheers Ulick
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #20
falcon fg

Thanks for your comment futura but I have problem caused by another so I am stuck with the six probably forever. I just trying to make the best out of a bad situation but still get the sound I want.

Last edited by falcon fg; 08-07-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #21
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This - just make sure the two pipes are as long as possible.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon fg View Post
Thank you eb2fairmont. I have a few questions you may be able help me with.
1. Are your extractors a brand name off the shelf or are they custom made?
2. I notice you have a cat in your system and the two pipes go single into the cat then two out. I don't need a cat due to the age of the engine (1976). Do you think that I need a cat in my system to achieve the V8 sound?
3. What size are your pipes?
1. genies. However 1.75" primaries are the cuts nuts on these which pacemaker make.
2. No.
3 2.5" although 3" is better.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #23
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
My understanding was the pre crossflow sounded better because of the siamese 3-4 cylinder port. Maybe if you ran a balance pipe between the 3-4 primaries on a crossflow you could replicate it.
You know, I think you are on to something there. The way the exhaust manifold really does not have an effective separation between 3 and 4, this would result in 2 and 4 going off in a seeming side by side 120 sequence as if 2 and 3 went in sequence, giving a rumble.

It is easier to find full sequential firing separation examples on a V8 with 180* headers vs conventionally grouped exhaust.

Keep in mind pipe cylinder displacement, pipe diameters, pulse separation in degrees, muffler types, resonator types, valve timing all play a role in overall sound quality or lack of.

Here is a V8 with 180* headers. This gives full 180* firing pulse separation for each bank and produces the symphonic sound:

Here is the typical V8 with 2 instances of non separation of firing sequences per bank firing. Nice rumble. No symphony.

Without knowing the exact specks of each engine I would guess the race car with the 180* headers is in a more modified state of tune. Just looking at the tiny exhaust on the Mustang tells me it doesn't have a whole lot under the hood, yet gives the sound of the tougher hombre.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #24
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Forgot to mention 5 and 3 would have the same effect as if 5 & 4 fire sequentially.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:55 AM   #25
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make it sound like a hot six ... I'm a V8 fan, but there are plenty of great sounding 6-cylinders out there. Personally I'd look at the British/Europeans for a better note to replicate (if possible)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #26
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Make it sound like a hot six ... I'm a V8 fan, but there are plenty of great sounding 6-cylinders out there. Personally I'd look at the British/Europeans for a better note to replicate (if possible)
That is my favourite. The sweet symphony of an I6. I loved the sound of my Austin Healy 3000 MkII.

Not sure how familiar you are with the exhaust system but it had a split 2 of 3 into 1 exhaust manifold with twin head pipes feeding into a single muffler and then twin tail pipes out of the muffler. No resonators. Sang beautifully.

Of course when it comes to V8s I want the rumble.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 09-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #27
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
That is, force 2 sequential cylinders to fire on each side of a 3 into 2 system with a single out pulse 240* out of sequence on the 3rd pipe of each pair of the . 3 into 2 system.
The bolded needs correction. It is 2 of 3 into 1 systems.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably needs to run Carbs too, EFI smooths out the bumps..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #29
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
That is my favourite. The sweet symphony of an I6. I loved the sound of my Austin Healy 3000 MkII.

Not sure how familiar you are with the exhaust system but it had a split 2 of 3 into 1 exhaust manifold with twin head pipes feeding into a single muffler and then twin tail pipes out of the muffler. No resonators. Sang beautifully.

Of course when it comes to V8s I want the rumble.
Healy 3000 was exactly what I was thinking ..
.. or some of the Jaguars ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #30
falcon fg

Thank you eb2fairmont for the additional info