Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #31
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I don't know why they keep rejecting RHD Shelbys. Mustang has proven it's desirability in RHD, Bullitt was a near instant sellout, and HSV never had any issue selling 100k+ limited editions. There is a market here.

Maybe it's just not big enough to return the extra cost of investment required to make a RHD version?
I suppose it's just too small of numbers in proportion to LHD for the trouble and expense . Wouldn't be so bad if they'll allow import and driving of a LHD though if you're prepared to fork out for the privilege as has already been mentioned . Some of the purists are disappointed going by comments on reviews that there is no dedicated manual among other things but it's a pretty serious weapon .

IF I was rich , if it was allowed and if you could actually use it in LHD the one I'd buy would be the GT 350.

Highly , highly unlikely .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The 7-speed dual clutch tranny is a much better choice than an auto,
those people lucky enough to own a GT500 will probably love the
paddle shift and the feel of the gearbox.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #33
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't know why they keep rejecting RHD Shelbys. Mustang has proven it's desirability in RHD, Bullitt was a near instant sellout, and HSV never had any issue selling 100k+ limited editions. There is a market here.

Maybe it's just not big enough to return the extra cost of investment required to make a RHD version?
agree, to me it seems no more onerous than bulding a RHD GT. They could simply convert to RHD as they do now, then add the GT350 body and go fast bits. Done, ready for export
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #34
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
agree, to me it seems no more onerous than bulding a RHD GT. They could simply convert to RHD as they do now, then add the GT350 body and go fast bits. Done, ready for export
It’s not that simple, I wish it was.

BTW they don’t “convert” to RHD they are built that way in the plant.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #35
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
It’s not that simple, I wish it was.

BTW they don’t “convert” to RHD they are built that way in the plant.
sorry, thats what I meant
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 18-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Things like wider track means resubmission for ADR approval, that’s why we didn’t get PP2 on regular Mustang. It’s just unfortunate that Ford couldn’t sell a bulk order of LHD Shelbys and the RHD pieces to a preferred RHD specialty works and then sell them across all the RHD countries, a bit like a bigger version of HSV.
They’re thinking too small.....

Last edited by jpd80; 18-01-2019 at 09:37 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Just doesn't work like that. Everything has to be re-tested/re-complianced (emissions, ADR's etc). And then there is the potential issue of RHD steering components and wether they clear the different engine configuration.

Nothing is just changed and then considered acceptable without passing the testing protocols. No car is released without passing all of them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just doesn't work like that. Everything has to be re-tested/re-complianced (emissions, ADR's etc). And then there is the potential issue of RHD steering components and wether they clear the different engine configuration.

Nothing is just changed and then considered acceptable without passing the testing protocols. No car is released without passing all of them.
We had that example with the right hand header fouling the steering shaft on Mustang, so much for RH preservation
Imagine if the T6 team did that with Ranger and then came back to do the LHD Bronco and they left all the RHD stuff as is like the yanks did to us with Mustang
Old 18-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
We had that example with the right hand header fouling the steering shaft on Mustang, so much for RH preservation
Imagine if the T6 team did that with Ranger and then came back to do the LHD Bronco and they left all the RHD stuff as is like the yanks did to us with Mustang
It's a bit tighter with Mustang being so low slung. Ranger has more room to play with due to the higher cowl/firewall area.

Ranger is built in LHD and RHD across 4 different plants too, there is no RHD or LHD bias. Different story with Mustang as it's LHD biased. I wonder if that will change in future now it has sold so well globally?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Australia has proven to be a real winner for Ford in regard to the RHD pony . Some further reward to loyal and growing Aussie Mustang fans in some way would be great for Ford and owners alike , ie more potential for extensive performance pack options for the current GT and Eco and such as time goes on. That might offset the non availability of the GT 350 and the GT 500. in this country and others .

Surely that's not unreasonable or technically/legally out of reach .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe it’s a case of Ford reviewing which vehicles make sense in our market, I’d like to think that the region has a chance at a RHD F150 but next gen P703 arrives in 2020 or so I’m lead to believe
Old 18-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #42
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would there be a big enough market here for a $200k GT500 Shelby though? ….The Mustang has been a great seller here but I suspect a 500 wouldn't sell in huge numbers at that price tag

A big part of the appeal of the Mustang for many buyers here since its release is that you can get into American Muscle for only $60k ! so is bang for buck. Many of those will be one time buyers who can tick Mustang ownership off their bucket list and won't look to either update or upgrade. What they have they will keep until they die and hand it down to their kids.

Others may have bought one as a daily drive and not brand loyal – It’s a nice everyday car for a single bloke with no family, because let's face it is really only a 2 seater car, but once they start a family it will be traded for an SUV and the mortgage will be too much of a financial burden to buy the SUV AND a weekend car worth 200k

With that kind of coin to spend you have more options in the performance car market .

As for new buyers who have traditionally been , for example, C63 AMG purchasers I doubt they would move to Ford in Droves . You'll get some , but not a lot. There will be the snob factor – those who wouldn’t touch a Ford with a barge pole at any price and would consider being asked to pay $200k for a Ford laughable.

So that narrows the market down to cashed up Ford enthusiasts and I don't think there's enough of those to justify bringing them here.

Old 19-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #43
sewingman
Starter Motor

The problem I see happening is in the future now mustangs are available from all ford dealers and the amount of them you are seeing on roads will make them more of a every day car. Same as what the XR6 and XR8 became. A mate bought and got delivererd here in Vic a Mustang Bullet. Not the same gauges as usa, or upper cross member under bonnet and a few other things. I think Ford will never view us as big as a market as they have in the usa for special fords.
sewingman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #44
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #45
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first one just sold at auction for $1.1m

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #46
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
The first one just sold at auction for $1.1m
That was for charity though wasn't it? it's like the first tray of Mangoes selling last year for $13,000, not indicative of the actual price thank god....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if a business case could be made for Regular RHD Mustang with PP2 and 480 HP Bullitt engine mods
maybe as the next exportable RHD vehicle special, something that's much easier to build and certify..
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #48
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 coming to Australia

Mustang Motorsport has confirmed it will be bringing Ford Mustang Shelby GT500s to Australia, after it was expected none would be seen locally.

With Ford Australia saying it wouldn’t be able to supply RHD versions of the car locally, Mustang Motorsport managing director Craig Dean told MOTOR incoming legislation would allow cars to be imported and converted locally.

Full article here:

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/202...MvAB5RpIo9tEf0
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #49
Venomous1
5.0 means business

So $300k then...
Old 20-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 coming to Australia

Mustang Motorsport managing director Craig Dean told MOTOR incoming legislation would allow cars to be imported and converted locally.
Thats cheating!!

You cant bring a LHD only car here and pass it off as a RHD just because its gone through some half baked conversion.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #51
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I often wonder about this,
Does a converted car come with full factory warranty, or just a warranty from the converter?
Old 20-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thats cheating!!

You cant bring a LHD only car here and pass it off as a RHD just because its gone through some half baked conversion.
I'm sure that Mustang Motorsport would be really impressed with you calling their work 'half baked'.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #53
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I often wonder about this,
Does a converted car come with full factory warranty, or just a warranty from the converter?
No manufacturer would warrant a conversion unless they did it themselves
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #54
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Thats cheating!!

So you are saying that the Camaro converted by HSV is also half baked?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #55
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I'm sure that Mustang Motorsport would be really impressed with you calling their work 'half baked'.
Im not sure, when u say impressed would you mean in the same fashion as HSV whom certain members suggested would do a half baked conversion of the Camaro?
Old 20-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #56
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
So you are saying that the Camaro converted by HSV is also half baked?
Lol, no, infact i said the exact opposite in the Camaro thread when someone suggested it would be, but i dont recall you defending HSV.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #57
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Of course it half baked. Look at the location of the handbrake on the 2018 model.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
No manufacturer would warrant a conversion unless they did it themselves
I wonder if Ford or GM would consider an approved re-manufacturer
of LHD vehicles if they were done to OEM standards?

I was actually hoping that this would come about with someone like
Prodrive handling GT350 conversions but obviously not.

HSV is showing what can be done with proper due diligence and improved
efficiency so I hope OEMs are taking note, maybe boutique cars could be the
next growth industry for a few enterprising locals, maybe if Govt backs off LCT...

Yeah i know, pigs flying and winning lotto numbers...

Although, those Ram 1500 V8 trucks for 89 grand look tantalizingly close for
some high end Ranger/Hilux buyers....surprised that Toyo has't tried Tundra.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #59
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Of course it half baked. Look at the location of the handbrake on the 2018 model.
Won't be issue on a 2020 GT500 which is what this thread is about
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Won't be issue on a 2020 GT500 which is what this thread is about
He's setting you up.
The hand brake on the factory RHD Mustangs is still on the passenger's side,
will the MM do what Ford didn't and move the hand brake to the driver's side?

I think not.