Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cars Will Soon Be Monitoring Their Drivers And Selling The Data They Collect

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...a-they-collect

Some comments:

"Haha people will be paying $50,000 for a vehicle that will steal and sell their personal data. Ha, and I thought paying for my phone service so that phone apps can steal data was bad enough. No thanks. I will definitely be arranging my life around walking everywhere."

"I refuse to by another new vehicle until someone starts making a basic full-size pickup or SUV that does not have all the foofy ********. I don't want cameras, I don't want satellite, I don't want navigation, I don't want wireless, I don't want heated seats, power windows, power and heated mirrors. I don't want active suspension and I definitely don't want ******* AI and people spying on me. I want a basic ******* work pickup...and I am sure a LOT of people just want a basic car. I'd bet the only reason nobody makes one has nothing to do with markets and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ******* GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS."

"Not in my 2004s or 2009.
No screens, no nav, no onstar.
I am never buying another car. When one fails in 10 years, I still have 2."
Old 11-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
jgmdat

Default Re: Cars Will Soon Be Monitoring Their Drivers And Selling The Data They Collect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...a-they-collect

Some comments:

"Haha people will be paying $50,000 for a vehicle that will steal and sell their personal data. Ha, and I thought paying for my phone service so that phone apps can steal data was bad enough. No thanks. I will definitely be arranging my life around walking everywhere."

"I refuse to by another new vehicle until someone starts making a basic full-size pickup or SUV that does not have all the foofy ********. I don't want cameras, I don't want satellite, I don't want navigation, I don't want wireless, I don't want heated seats, power windows, power and heated mirrors. I don't want active suspension and I definitely don't want ******* AI and people spying on me. I want a basic ******* work pickup...and I am sure a LOT of people just want a basic car. I'd bet the only reason nobody makes one has nothing to do with markets and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ******* GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS."

"Not in my 2004s or 2009.
No screens, no nav, no onstar.
I am never buying another car. When one fails in 10 years, I still have 2."

If you are getting your info from that website i think a car gathering your data is the least of your problems. Don't forget anyone can gather data but unless it costs you money i see no problem, they can send you all the crap they want but until you open your wallet it's nothing but annoying advertising. I could be wrong though as i'm not on social media and apparently that is where the world revolves now days.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Cars Will Soon Be Monitoring Their Drivers And Selling The Data They Collect

New World Order at its finest.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine discussing some obscure product with the passengers in your car, then the next digital roadside billboard you pass is advertising exactly that....
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Last edited by marty351; 14-02-2019 at 07:41 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Imagine discussing some obscure product with the passengers in your car, then the next digital roadside billboard you pass is advertising exactly that....
Just talk about cute lingerie models. Prob solved
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are already making the kind of SUV / Pick Up that the OP is talking about wanting....Restomods.

People are making the types of cars that the Op is talking about wanting. Restomods.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
No different to facebook or google.....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The sad part is that so many children are now a digital prisioners, even worse is that they are oblivious to this tyranny and unaware of what freedom is...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
The sad part is that so many children are now a digital prisioners, even worse is that they are oblivious to this tyranny and unaware of what freedom is...
Freedom is the ability to make your choices....they are choosing to be digital prisoners. Plenty of other things to do in life instead of staring at a &)(..kn piece of plastic all day......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
No different to facebook or google.....
Phones definitely listen to you. So called technology experts says they don't because they are not allowed to, but I often get Facebook ads for stuff I have spoke about and haven't researched on line at all.

It's happened too many times to be a coincidence.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #12
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Uber has been doing that for years...no one in power cares.
Just ask Karl Stefanovic…
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2019, 12:07 AM   #13
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Phones definitely listen to you. So called technology experts says they don't because they are not allowed to, but I often get Facebook ads for stuff I have spoke about and haven't researched on line at all.

It's happened too many times to be a coincidence.
110% correct, I believe phones can listen for key words, use typed in search terms (duh), know your location, and mind blowingly, your patterns.
Google knows every Monday morning I go to a certain customer premises (sales rep), when I hop in my car and Bluetooth connects, a map suggestion pops up telling me how long it will take me to get there.
When you go to Westfield, it knows which shops you spent time in, to target advertising ads to you.
When you google a business to get the contact number (like I do many times a day) it will tell you when the busy times are and the average time a customer spends there, all harvested from smart phones in the pockets of shoppers.
Cars are becoming electronic , so data harvesting is a natural extension of that.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-01-2019, 12:15 AM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

What do you mean soon? Happening now.
Old 13-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
110% correct, I believe phones can listen for key words, use typed in search terms (duh), know your location, and mind blowingly, your patterns.
Google knows every Monday morning I go to a certain customer premises (sales rep), when I hop in my car and Bluetooth connects, a map suggestion pops up telling me how long it will take me to get there.
When you go to Westfield, it knows which shops you spent time in, to target advertising ads to you.
When you google a business to get the contact number (like I do many times a day) it will tell you when the busy times are and the average time a customer spends there, all harvested from smart phones in the pockets of shoppers.
Cars are becoming electronic , so data harvesting is a natural extension of that.
Google in general uses your info. Maps learn your general locations etc. I never inputted my home address into maps when it asked but because i leave location services on on my phone it i say take me home maps take me home. I never inputted my work address either but as i also am on the road google maps still cant give me any address for that. They get their traffic reports on google maps from taking in how many users are traveling how fast at whichever point then use that to calculate the fastest route, which isnt always correct.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
This is the reason that my phone's GPS is turned off.
Old 14-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

A tech guys take:

https://m.androidcentral.com/i-saw-f...-damn-it-scary

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #18
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
This is the reason that my phone's GPS is turned off.
So turning off the GPS really turns off the GPS... hmm.

The more information that becomes available regarding the nefarious acts of tech companies and Government agencies needing to know everything.

Whilst turning off the GPS might not let Applications report location, I wouldn't be surprised that the GPS never truly turns off.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post