Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
xxxbgt
luv/peace n chickn grease

Default How much is an xb gt worth?

First time poster, long time browser of these forums.

I have just been to look at a 4 door xb gt. I have verified to the best of my knowledge that it is indeed a real gt.

Now, the problem is that the vehicle has been sitting in the weather for 10 years, it is VERY rusty. I know it is illegal to re-shell a vehicle, and have no intentions on doing this. I will be able to perform all body work myself so that is not a problem.

It has most original gt specific parts stored away out of the weather. Ie: interior, (cluster/console etc), original bathurst globes, matching number block etc (dissasembled though).

More information about the car: No sunroof, factory manual, orange paint, cream interior. Front seats have an orange band down the centres of them matching the exterior, disc brake nine inch. Looks like a bigger than normal fuel tank? Was there an option on this?

So what is this car worth in it's current state? I am seeking genuine opinions, not just a 'BUY IT NOW' attitude. Remember i am the one spending the money to restore this thing!

BTW: This is not a falacy car like the total driver scenario. I have just finished looking at the car, and am trying to do some sums on the total expense to get this thing rolling again.

No pictures, maybe i will post some when i get it.

xxxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's really to hard to even put a fiqure on it without looking at the vehicle, I'd suggest contacting your local GT club in your area and have a word to them.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
NA XR6
!!

Heaps mate heaps
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
Buddykin

What are they asking for it??
Buddykin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
xxxbgt

i really dont want to sell the car out from under me, so i will not be specific in details.

I think i may be able to obtain the car for under $10k. It does need lots of work though. What are your thoughts on this buddykin? I see you own an xb gt. It's hard to believe that these cars could be had for $7000 - $10000 years ago, how much more will they climb?

Missing gt bits i can think of at the moment include: Steering wheel, air cleaner assembly.

This car has no boot spoiler either, but i believe this was an option though.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Buddykin

My Advice would be to contact these guys - member or not they will be willing to help or point you in the direction for some assistance.
GT Car Club of Australia

An Example of what is out there?
Quote:
I know of a matching numbers red pepper auto? sedan over here that the owner has told me he is going to sell for about $10,000. When I saw it it was in need of a resto, but he had had the panel work done. All the original parts were there except rear wheels which were chrome 12 slots. Fronts were original and engine bay was all original, still had tramp rods, and original steering wheel etc. Does that sound expensive? Works out about Aus$8000-9000 I think.

Check this out for 25000

XBGT 20000

XB GT 15000

Take a look - these are just SOME example of reasonably priced examples.
Buddykin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its worth whatever YOU are prepared to pay for it....given the condition description..I would'nt pay anymore than about 6to8k.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I advertised my XB GT last year for $6000. It's got near zero rust, is dead straight, but is missing the original block and steering wheel...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxbgt
First time poster, long time browser of these forums.

I have just been to look at a 4 door xb gt. I have verified to the best of my knowledge that it is indeed a real gt.

Now, the problem is that the vehicle has been sitting in the weather for 10 years, it is VERY rusty. I know it is illegal to re-shell a vehicle, and have no intentions on doing this. I will be able to perform all body work myself so that is not a problem.

It has most original gt specific parts stored away out of the weather. Ie: interior, (cluster/console etc), original bathurst globes, matching number block etc (dissasembled though).

More information about the car: No sunroof, factory manual, orange paint, cream interior. Front seats have an orange band down the centres of them matching the exterior, disc brake nine inch. Looks like a bigger than normal fuel tank? Was there an option on this?

So what is this car worth in it's current state? I am seeking genuine opinions, not just a 'BUY IT NOW' attitude. Remember i am the one spending the money to restore this thing!

BTW: This is not a falacy car like the total driver scenario. I have just finished looking at the car, and am trying to do some sums on the total expense to get this thing rolling again.

No pictures, maybe i will post some when i get it.
I would say around the 4-6k,pity it doesn't have more options.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

what year model is it? I have owned an xb gt, and currently have an xa gt coupe ATM, with a xb gt coupe or XW or`XT GT coming. PM me with as much info as you are willing to supply, and I will help you out.

Donny

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 02:25 AM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

10 sounds abit much unless perhaps its a '73 manual. I just picked up a manual 4V XAGT coupe complete for that much ! alot of people think their rough beatup old cars are worth top dollar because the nice ones are pulling good money..there are still good cheap GT's around ..
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tough one to answer, XBGT's vary allot in spec from 1973 to 1976, a manual 73 model will have XAGT spec engine and toploader, but Ford only made 211 in this spec so they're pretty rare, at the other end of the scale 76 models have anti pollution small port single rail box spec.
Then you have to take into account resto costs which could easily add up to $40+k.
Work out what an immaculate example of what this model would cost you to buy and subtract the resto cost from that price to see what its realistically worth. You might find its cheaper and easier to just spend 40K and buy a good car.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Without seeing the car at all. Considering id say top dollar for an xb sedan right now is around the 30 mark. Top Dollar being what most would probably pay (meaning me) as there will always be cars that get more than that.

Not sure about the interior seat trim as ive never seen one with orange stripe down the chair. You said it is like the paint, i guess meaning orange stripe down the centre. I dont know of a colour combo that has orange as the GT blackout section in xb's.

You have to work out how much it will be to restore. You said the car is rusty. So assume it needs panel and paint. How is the interior? The globes that come with the car, what condition are they in, are they genuines, were they optioned on the car or just added to the car later? What year/month is the car?

As 4Vman said. A top quality concourse resto is going to cost big so you need to be prepared to take that on when you buy it and factor that into the price.

Chances are if he has had it sitting in the weather for 10 years he dosnt respect it too highly and would probably take an offer of 4k for it. That would be my first offer to him.

Is this car for sale per se? Or you just know of it and may make an offer. If he has it for sale for 8k or something and its very rusty and in great need of a resto, alot will be put off by that and im not sure it would be sold for that much.

But all this is without even seeing the car. So that makes it hard. Check out http://www.falcongtclub.org/ and do some research on the options the car has from the compliance plate meaning the trim, paint etc.

Fell free to PM if you need more assistance.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
Without seeing the car at all. Considering id say top dollar for an xb sedan right now is around the 30 mark. Top Dollar being what most would probably pay (meaning me) as there will always be cars that get more than that.
The $30K mark for what id call an immaculate original XBGT sedan was passed 2 years ago!
IMO id say 40-48K for an immacualte rare XBGT sedan would be top dollar going on recent exchanges that i know of.
I cant say ive seen an immaculate XBGT advertised forsale for a long time though.
That's why i think a really tired XBGT is a 5-10K buying proposition because the resto cost can be a 40K extra!

Old 05-06-2006, 03:25 PM   #15
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Photos would greatly assist the appraisal, sounds like an interesting find though.

To answer your questions:-
-Yes, a long range tank was available as an option (my XB GT has one)
-Boot spoilers were a dealer fitted item, not factory fitted.

The globes will have a production date on the inside of the rim. I'm suss on the interior seat trim striping matching the car color though, doesn't sound original.

It would be a good idea to contact Ford and get a letter of verification as to what the car came with option wise, and what the color/interior/trans etc was from the factory.

Last, but not least, what year is it? As mentioned, if its 1973 you're in luck...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
MIKEVYII

removing My comment as that car is gone. sorry

Last edited by MIKEVYII; 05-06-2006 at 04:51 PM.
MIKEVYII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
Photos would greatly assist the appraisal, sounds like an interesting find though.

To answer your questions:-
-Yes, a long range tank was available as an option (my XB GT has one)
-Boot spoilers were a dealer fitted item, not factory fitted.

The globes will have a production date on the inside of the rim. I'm suss on the interior seat trim striping matching the car color though, doesn't sound original.

It would be a good idea to contact Ford and get a letter of verification as to what the car came with option wise, and what the color/interior/trans etc was from the factory.

Last, but not least, what year is it? As mentioned, if its 1973 you're in luck...
Side note here guys,just bought an XB GT sedan,came with 8000 tacho ??????

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
Side note here guys,just bought an XB GT sedan,came with 8000 tacho ??????
that wrong, should be 7K, 8K was early XAGT.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #19
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
that wrong, should be 7K, 8K was early XAGT.
Ok no carry overs or anything ey,before i change it out.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
Ok no carry overs or anything ey,before i change it out.
not in XB, some late 72 XA's had 8K's but by 73 they were all used, its a pretty "common" upgrade that people did to GT's during their modified life.
For a while there every second XAGT RPO seemed to have one but none left Ford with them, it was just a popular owner modification!
I couldnt see a std Cleveland reving much past 6K let alone 8K

Old 05-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #21
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not in XB, some late 72 XA's had 8K's but by 73 they were all used, its a pretty "common" upgrade that people did to GT's during their modified life.
For a while there every second XAGT RPO seemed to have one but none left Ford with them, it was just a popular owner modification!
Argh to hel;l with it im no purest,ill leave it alone,too hard.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
xxxbgt

I will contact the seller tonight to obtain the compliance plate details and confirm a few things like the date code on the car.

Does anyone know the number to ring ford on to check what options this vehicle left broadmedows with? Is it 13 FORD?

I want to confirm whether this vehicle is factory or dealer fitted aircon etc.

I know about the date codes on the inside of the wheels, they are definately original globes, just need to confirm date code on these, and whether they were factory fitment.

Did xb gt have a factory fitted holley, or would it more likely be a quadrajet carb? I see the correct cast iron intake manifolds are easily available.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will contact the seller tonight to obtain the compliance plate details and confirm a few things like the date code on the car.

Does anyone know the number to ring ford on to check what options this vehicle left broadmedows with? Is it 13 FORD?

I know about the date codes on the inside of the wheels, they are definately original globes, just need to confirm date code on these, and whether they were factory fitment.

Did xb gt have a factory fitted holley, or would it more likely be a quadrajet carb? I see the correct cast iron intake manifolds are easily available.
13ford will get you through.
I'll be interested to know what year it is, if its a 73 manual ive got plenty of info for you.
XBGT's had factory fitted autolite 4 barrel carbs.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #24
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
The $30K mark for what id call an immaculate original XBGT sedan was passed 2 years ago!
IMO id say 40-48K for an immacualte rare XBGT sedan would be top dollar going on recent exchanges that i know of.
I cant say ive seen an immaculate XBGT advertised forsale for a long time though.
That's why i think a really tired XBGT is a 5-10K buying proposition because the resto cost can be a 40K extra!
A very neat XAGT was bought in SA a week or so ago and driven back here,was wild violet,parchment and went for low 30's, 40-48 sounds high for an XB,unless 4v manual and absolutely perfect/unrestored.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
A very neat XAGT was bought in SA a week or so ago and driven back here,was wild violet,parchment and went for low 30's, 40-48 sounds high for an XB,unless 4v manual and absolutely perfect/unrestored.
An immaculate Restored yellow XAGT sedan sold down here for 62K recently, and last year a blue XAGT Sedan went for 50K.
Yes i agree, 48K is top dollar for an XBGT sedan but im talking top quality rare car (like a 73 4V manual) for 48K.
What people need to remember is as HO's and RPO's go up in value they inadvertantly drag other model GT's prices along with them, that combined with the fact that restoring a car properly is an expensive and time consuming exercise and the fact thet there are bugger all decent XA or XBGT's left means good cars fetch top dollar.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Makes me wish I had the XAGT I bought for 6k still, 72,4v,auto,square block,wild violet,black int,and some other extras,that car is still perfect to this day and still in the family,has under 100,000mls on clock. went to a show a while ago and it is better than any I saw there,The interior looks like the day it came out of the showroom and it's never had a spot of rust in it, it sat in a garage for 11yrs when owned by a ford wrecker previously.It will never be sold though,it's beeing kept for my nephew,lucky kid hey.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Makes me wish I had the XAGT I bought for 6k still, 72,4v,auto,square block,wild violet,black int,and some other extras,that car is still perfect to this day and still in the family,has under 100,000mls on clock. went to a show a while ago and it is better than any I saw there,The interior looks like the day it came out of the showroom and it's never had a spot of rust in it, it sat in a garage for 11yrs when owned by a ford wrecker previously.It will never be sold though,it's beeing kept for my nephew,lucky kid hey.
Nice!
I dream of running into a distant relative up the bush and discovering a phase 3 tucked in the shed with 11,000 miles on the clock..... I wish!

Old 06-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #28
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:

I believe if the air con is dealer fitted it would be of the under dash variety. Factory air con would have option 40 for integrated air con and was not under dash I believe.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post