Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default privet owned Drag racing?

hey guys this may have been brought up many times befor but i just am wondering. what is stoping people seting up privetly owed drag strips?

its not that expencive to set up all the timing systems needed to record your times. the only issue is geting enuff land. and laying the road...

so is there laws that are stoping people from setting up privetly run drag strips. or is it that no one has got around to it yet?

if it helps im from SA hence me asking y

carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: privet owned Drag racing?

it will depend on noise restrictions, public liability insurance, how much money you have to build the strip, infrastructure etc.

in short, a lot of money - plus many hours trying to get through red tape with residents, councils, governments and anyone else who has too much time on their hands. it could take many, many years to get one up and running from scratch depending on the red tape

even if there was nothing legal stopping you, it is just not worth it to many people
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
carnige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well what i have in mind is i have a bit of land at ardrossen wich is no where near any body so theres no people living nexed door. i had a mate that owns a road bitchumen buisness so that wont be extremly dear.
and the timing gear is only around the $1,000 and depens on how fancy u go lights ect the hole thing could be done for arounf the $15,000 it would take about 5 years to make it back i would say.
carnige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give it a crack I say
If its private land in the middle of nowhere you might be ok
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I have a feeling that the Bitumen might cost more then you think, even if its done at cost or near cost price.

400metres plus starting areas and braking area. Its got to be at least what? 6 car lengths wides so the lanes are safe.

Then you have to add on the service roads or return lanes so the cars can return to the start, any parking thats needed....

Probably talking at least 600-700mx20m just for the actual strip.

You'd need armaco along the sides for that whole distance.

It would add up rapidly.

Edit: if you wanted to make it eligable for any sort of official competition you'd probably have to meet the following requirements: Procedures for the recognition of drag strips
That link is to the FIA regulations.....
Provided to give an idea of what is required to produce a functioning drag strip in terms of dimensions etc.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
amb2600
parts seller

By memory , and this is only if you wanted to be andra sanctioned, but the launch area is hotmix not bitchy , should be 100mm thick tappering with a 1 degree fall to one side etc etc etc, there are tracks that arnt ANDRA sanctioned and thats fine, but alot of people dont race at other tracks due to insurance or not wanting to race where they dont get traction.,,
having said that if there is prizemoney to be had, ,,

make it and they will come .......... or at least i will try to..

Good luck
amb2600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

I reakon to do it properly add two zeros to your estimate......
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Public liability insurance would cost you that 15k for maybe 2 meets if your real lucky. A Concrete start pad would cost you that at the very least.

Tracks are not in every 2nd town simply due to Effort+$$=0 return. Just look at wisd and willowbank. Between them is a rumored $1.8m debt. Bad management has a lot to do with that tho
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4
6.324 @ 108.93mph 1/8th PB

SOLD
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
mickbundy

Mate write to your local council and ask what would be involved. If you can do it all the best with your venture
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Mate, if you have the land go for it. Quick calcs re return is if you get 60 cars to a "meet", either burn outs or drags, 60x $50 = $3,000. You may get a small income but it could be a battle. Dont make too much money or Bob Jane will wanna buy you up and shut you down.....lol
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring it on with camping,toilets and bar! oh sorry did you say ardrossan? good luck with the yorke penninsular council, takes 6 months just for a shed approval!!
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post