Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Xd Falcon Traction

currently putting my combo together and will be doing a bit of racing next season,
the car is a street car and wont be tubbed so im a little concerned about traction, im after some tips on slick sizes or suspension set up recommendations to get the power down (without drastically altering things)

set up is as folllows

xd falcon 3100lbs
434ci approx 700hp 600lbft
convo pro on front runners
8.5inch convo pro rear
pedders 90/10 front shocks
pedders soft rear shocks on leaf rear end
6000rpm stall & transbrake
4.56gears

what do yous think the largest slick diameter & width i can fit in these guards on these wheels?
will traction bars or caltracs help?
is there any chance of getting the power down with that sort of launch rpm & hp?
any tips appreciated, would like to pull a good number without chopping the car up/tubbing cages etc..

JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Default Re: Xd Falcon Traction

What backspace are your rims??

Yours is very very simmilar setup to my car, I have 28 x 10.5 15s M/T's with a very minor clearance job. I don't know bout 3100lb as mine I'd fairly well stripped and I'm at 3540 with me in it (125kg).

I have been sub 1.5 60ft with a heap left. Caltrac's and 90/10's is all I have so far.

Pm me your number if you like as I'm at work on phone. I can give you some idea's or I'll post up later on.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4
6.324 @ 108.93mph 1/8th PB

SOLD
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagsjoe
What backspace are your rims??

Yours is very very simmilar setup to my car, I have 28 x 10.5 15s M/T's with a very minor clearance job. I don't know bout 3100lb as mine I'd fairly well stripped and I'm at 3540 with me in it (125kg).

I have been sub 1.5 60ft with a heap left. Caltrac's and 90/10's is all I have so far.

Pm me your number if you like as I'm at work on phone. I can give you some idea's or I'll post up later on.
xagsjoe

thanks for the reply, im pretty fresh to drag racing in this sort of bracket/hp

backspace on the rims?.. they came fitted on the rolling car, is there a marking that says so? there are no spacers on them,
I loosely calculated that weight estimate based on my old xe which was about 3190lbs/1450kg on weigh bridge (without me) and i thought this car will weigh a little less with the components its using (heads, carb, accesories, trans etc)..

can you tell me a little more about your set up when youve got time?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
greencapri408
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Simon is a worthy recipient, his willingness to share  knowledge here for Forum Members and his wealth of knowledge. He has made himself available not only through the Forums but allowing members to contact him by mobile as required 

My mate had 28 by 10.5 s under his standard rear xd
If i was u id be running mono leafs with cal trac s and an anti roll bar they make a huge difference

I have a Capri with a 750hp clevo with leaf springs cal tracks and an anti roll bar before fitting the roll bar it used to twist up and unload the , there 29.5 by 11.5w s and run low 10s now it barely lifts a wheel and has gone 9.03 153
greencapri408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
greencapri408
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Simon is a worthy recipient, his willingness to share  knowledge here for Forum Members and his wealth of knowledge. He has made himself available not only through the Forums but allowing members to contact him by mobile as required 

If i was u id be running mono leafs with cal trac s and an anti roll bar they make a huge difference

I have a Capri with a 750hp clevo with leaf springs cal tracks and an anti roll bar before fitting the roll bar it used to twist up and unload the tyres , there 29.5 by 11.5w s and run low 10s now it barely lifts a wheel and has gone 9.03 153
Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencapri408

I have a Capri with a 750hp clevo with leaf springs cal tracks and an anti roll bar before fitting the roll bar it used to twist up and unload the tyres , there 29.5 by 11.5w s and run low 10s now it barely lifts a wheel and has gone 9.03 153

ok thanks,
are you saying a fat sway bar on the rear will help it track straighter & flatter?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
greencapri408
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no im not talking about a conventional sway bar like your talking

check this out
http://www.dragracingonline.com/tech...swaybar-1.html
http://www.cachassisworks.com/c-77-a...drag-race.aspx
Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

youl definately need caltracs or similar
i have under 500 hp and without caltacs all it would do is wind up the 4 leaf springs unload and spin the tyres, had 275 et radials, 90-10s, rancho rears.
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately caltracs, heavy duty saddles on the diff(or they will twist from the diff trying to turn up and around) and get the nine inch braced or you will bend it.
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
xagsjoe

Thanks for the reply, im pretty fresh to drag racing in this sort of bracket/hp

backspace on the rims?.. they came fitted on the rolling car, is there a marking that says so? there are no spacers on them,
I loosely calculated that weight estimate based on my old xe which was about 3190lbs/1450kg on weigh bridge (without me) and i thought this car will weigh a little less with the components its using (heads, carb, accesories, trans etc)..

can you tell me a little more about your set up when youve got time?
To work out your backspace take one off and measure from the inside edge of the rim to the mounting face, the 8.5 convo's are typically 3 3/8th BS but are also available in 4.5in BS too.

As I said i have 28x10.5s on mine on 15x10 welds 5.5 bs and the inner wheel well drivers side rubbed a little but a knockometer worked a charm
it's close but they fit well.

What trans have you got? C4 or a glide? who made your converter?

as for rear end mine is

3" heavy wall tailshaft 1350 yokes
Strange nodular iron carrier,
Strange alloy pinion support
Strange 35spline Full spool
Moser Billet 35sp axles
4.4:1 gears.

You really need a tough diff at this level, the standard housing just won't cut it, especially off a trans brake. I probably went overboard going to 35spline's but hey its future proof now. 31s would be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB 351
Definately caltracs, heavy duty saddles on the diff(or they will twist from the diff trying to turn up and around) and get the nine inch braced or you will bend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty 351
you'l definately need caltracs or similar
i have under 500 hp and without caltacs all it would do is wind up the 4 leaf springs unload and spin the tyres, had 275 et radials, 90-10s, rancho rears.
I agree with these statement's and Rancho's are a proven shock and by all accounts work great. as for the saddles if you use a standard housing and brace it get the saddles boxed in at the rear or cut them off and fit some heavy duty ones. Spring rate of 200lb/in in the rear is a good starting point. Mine are standard 79 XD Spac issue and work fine so far.

These are the ones Mcdonald Bros fitted to mine. I am using one of their heavy duty housings.

Remove all the rubber stuff from between the diff and springs and where your front spring eye bolt goes through weld a nice thick washer in the inside where the nut goes, it will flog out in a day, i had this advice and didnt get to it before I hit the track the first time and its flogged out now On the to do list for me. Make sure there is no binding when/if you fit the cal/austrac's.

Im not in any need of a roll bar in the rear and my car launches nice and flat at this stage as seen Here

Not to say you won't but there is plenty of fast cars around without them.

The front only needs some 90/10's you have and 6cyl springs, when you race it remove the front swaybar too.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4
6.324 @ 108.93mph 1/8th PB

SOLD

Last edited by xagsjoe; 04-06-2011 at 11:17 AM.
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post