Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #331
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Default Re: TDCI Focus

It was similar to what I paid for the rear part of the exhaust originally, it depends on where you go. The place I go do a lot of diesel vehicles so they're pretty good. I think I'm just about done with upgrades now, not much else to do performance wise. It's a whole new car compared to stock.

The turbo is quiet because of the overly restrictive air intake, open that up and you'll hear it real good.

The Goodyears aren't great, but they aren't that bad either.

If you want to know what it sounds like, it's very similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-kj0...eature=related

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #332
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How much did it cost?

I find the turbo in my car very quiet, sometimes you can hear it with the window down and giving it a bit of curry, slight whoosing noise.

Also does anyone think the OEM goodyear NCT 5 tyres are completely rubbish? They don't grip real well and they squeal fairly easily. Not only that but it doesn't take much to spin them, even in torque limited 1st gear, taking off with 1/4 throttle will see the front right spin.

Also I'm finding the brakes on my car, they're not too great, you push the pedal down, get the whole leaning forward in your seat thing, but you don't come to a stop quickly, it seems to nose dive but not really stop, I guess it could also be the tyres affecting braking distance too. My WS Fiesta stops much better, but that might be because its a very light car.
Don't forget you're also carrying more weight in front with the diesel engine, I find the brakes on my Zetec are OK but nothing like the brakes on my former GT TDI Golf, that had fantastic brakes for a stock set up A change of brake pads might help too Big Damo and if you can afford to upgrade the rotors that would more than likely give you even better results
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #333
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Went to start the Focus this morning, unlocks, key in, turn to ignition, radio comes on, go to start:

turns over once, makes a loud ticking noise.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Get the old mans car to jump start it, not enough current to start it but enough to turn it over.

F it, I took the Fiesta instead.

I get back, slowly roll out the driveway and down the street, dump the clutch in second gear and she fires into life, sweet. Got it idling now to charge the battery up.

I wonder why it went flat, I didn't leave any electrics on, no interior light, no radio, no lights, and I drove it for 2 hours on Friday?

If it doesn't start tomorrow morning, I'll take it back to Ford and they can check the battery.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #334
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Took it for a drive, drove fine, turned it off, tried to start it again, tick tick tick tick, no go.

Going into Ford in Monday.
Old 26-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #335
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://youtu.be/Ph2Lg_jN1ro

Thats what it does, if a mod could merge my three posts that would be cool, thanks much.
Old 26-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #336
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like dodgy battery/connections or crook solenoid on starter motor. Try it with the headlights turned on and if they do not dim a lot when you try to crank, its probably connections on starter motor or the solenoid on the starter
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #337
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Sounds like dodgy battery/connections or crook solenoid on starter motor. Try it with the headlights turned on and if they do not dim a lot when you try to crank, its probably connections on starter motor or the solenoid on the starter
Battery connections are fine, no corrosion and they're on solidly.

I haven't checked at the starter motor end though.

Tried the headlights then they dimmed heaps, it seems theres enough power to run the headlights, radio and everything on ignition, but not enough to turn the motor over.
Old 26-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #338
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Thats actually very good information. I never thought to check something like that might make it easier to track down problems in the future....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #339
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I couldn't even roll start it this morning, I had it booked into Ford, opened up the central locking, that worked, put it on ignition and no lights, nothing.

Rolled it out the driveway and down the hill, dumped it in second gear, still nothing.

Tried jump starting it with the old mans car, not enough juice to turn it over fast enough.

So I thought F it, and left it at the bottom of the hill on the side of the road and went to work in the old mans car.

I jump started it tonight with my new project car, then drove it straight down to Ford, they took it in.

I measured the voltage at the battery after a 50 minute drive, 10.92V, must have dropped a cell.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #340
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Got it back today, faulty battery was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #341
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks like the Focus will be on hold for the near future, as I've got myself a 1997 EL Fairmont Ghia to play around with.

So that means once my springs, sway and cold air intake are in, that will be it as the spare money is now going on the new Fairmont, which needs a lot of work.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #342
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The original Goodyear NCTs on the 08 TDCI are at 72000 due for replacement soon .
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ,s at $205 or Bridgestone Adrenalin at $209 (stock 205/55/16 size.)
I ,ve tried the Toyos on my wifes petrol focus-they lack grip.
Whats your thoughts-Bridgestone or Michelin??
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #343
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
The original Goodyear NCTs on the 08 TDCI are at 72000 due for replacement soon .
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ,s at $205 or Bridgestone Adrenalin at $209 (stock 205/55/16 size.)
I ,ve tried the Toyos on my wifes petrol focus-they lack grip.
Whats your thoughts-Bridgestone or Michelin??

To be honest, if you have 72,000 k's up on the Goodyears and have been satisfied with their performance then I'd be replacing them with the same, I doubt you will get anywhere near that amount of kms from the Michelin's or Bridgestones
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #344
rand0mn00b

yes, that is incredible mileage!!
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #345
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes but 2 of the Goodyears have been out of round since new... the tyres are as noisy and whiny and wobbly as buggery. I hate them, but they would probably do 80000Kms.

the question is (no to Toyos) Bridgestone Adrenalin or Michelin Pilot sport 3, s to replace them.

Which one?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #346
rand0mn00b

any particular reason you're limiting it to those 2?

can't speak for the entire Toyo range but the Proxes 4 on mine are ok... grippier than the factory Goodyear NCTs

after a bit of research I'm getting Kumgo KU31s fitted this Thursday. Have you considered them? Might work out costing a fair bit less than your existing options (without sacrificing too much on quality I hope - will find out soon!)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #347
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
any particular reason you're limiting it to those 2?

can't speak for the entire Toyo range but the Proxes 4 on mine are ok... grippier than the factory Goodyear NCTs

after a bit of research I'm getting Kumgo KU31s fitted this Thursday. Have you considered them? Might work out costing a fair bit less than your existing options (without sacrificing too much on quality I hope - will find out soon!)
This is totally of topic and my apologies to Big Damo but KU31's are a fantastic bang for buck tyre, they may not last as long as some of the more expensive tyres but they will more than likely be as good or better to drive on I have had KU31's on a couple of cars both VW Golf's and they handled great in wet and dry, they did start to get a little noisier once they were down to around 50% tread but they still gripped well and would have been good for at least 40,000 kms with plenty of spirited driving included

I would suggest though that if you want to discuss tyre options it would be best if you started another thread in the appropriate section
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #348
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
This is totally of topic and my apologies to Big Damo but KU31's are a fantastic bang for buck tyre, they may not last as long as some of the more expensive tyres but they will more than likely be as good or better to drive on I have had KU31's on a couple of cars both VW Golf's and they handled great in wet and dry, they did start to get a little noisier once they were down to around 50% tread but they still gripped well and would have been good for at least 40,000 kms with plenty of spirited driving included

I would suggest though that if you want to discuss tyre options it would be best if you started another thread in the appropriate section
No problems

I don't mind us discussing anything Focus in here anyways.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #349
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Just fitted KU31s to my LT TDCi. Fitted and balanced, 4 tyres was ~$460. They are a bit noisy at 110Km/h but at 90 are pretty good. Around town they are quiet though. Good grip and feel.
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #350
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Got it back today, faulty battery was replaced under warranty.
My LV Focus battery died at 15 months too.. not under warranty as it's 12 months for the battery.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #351
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpasticBus
Just fitted KU31s to my LT TDCi. Fitted and balanced, 4 tyres was ~$460. They are a bit noisy at 110Km/h but at 90 are pretty good. Around town they are quiet though. Good grip and feel.
*high five* me too today (205/50/17 for my Zetec, $520 for the 4 fitted and balanced). then went down the road to have my wheel alignment done.

i think it will take a bit of time to bed in but i agree while from new they are quieter than my previous tyres that were aged (not a fair comparison) they are certainly not quiet quiet. at least not as quiet when i first changed to my previous tyres (toyo proxes 4) compared to the factory Goodyear NCT

grip and handling can't tell yet, it has been raining cats and dogs in Sydney today so not ideal conditions. well apart from the fact they're not losing traction under heavy acceleration in wet (like my borderline legal tyres they just replaced)

Last edited by rand0mn00b; 08-12-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #352
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whitch tyre chain /franchise did you buy off?
Thats a ''value'' price be it $460 or $520!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #353
ConradP

Man when i got 225/40/18 i got some falkens, $250 per tyre and then had a wheel balance as well, so was like $1100 D:
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #354
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Whitch tyre chain /franchise did you buy off?
Thats a ''value'' price be it $460 or $520!
if you own a TDCi and are running stock wheels (16" i presume) you should be leaning towards the $460 figure

i bought them from St George Tyres in Arncliffe they can deliver or if you're a Sydney sider can drop in and have them fitted. I had heard of their store in passing but coincidentally found their prices more recently on eBay to be best.

I had heard a lot about Kumho KU31s punching well above their weight in general compared with more common household brands, but St George Tyres and Tempe Tyres down the road both have them at really good prices I guess they must move lots of stock
Old 09-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #355
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Thumbs up Re: TDCI Focus

Hi Guys,

Just de-lurking to say hello after spending the last couple of hours reading this thread.

Traded in my 2003 Magna on a 2010 LV MkII TDCi (ex-Ford Motor Co. exec vehicle) about a month ago. The Focus was first registered in May this year so it's still relatively new (albeit now slightly over 20,000km on the clock). Can't believe how well the car pulls compared to the Magna with a 1.5litre advantage, it's an absolute hoot to drive.

First manual gearbox since a VH Commodore in 1992 so it's been a bit of a learning curve, but it's all good even with two extra forward gears. I've now learnt to push the gearstick into first after coming out of reverse instead of selecting 3rd by default and stalling .

Car seems pretty good after reading some of the horror stories elsewhere on this forum, has some very minor scratches and I need to work out how to polish some powdery surface/substance off the rear taillights...advice on plastic polishing gratefully accepted.

My partner has a 2011 WT Fiesta LX TDCi sedan which she cruises around the Macedon Ranges in, so seeing we're both now Ford TDCi people I'm thinking this forum and the site in general may be quite handy going forward!

Anyway, it's been great reading.

Mick

Last edited by Ratmick; 09-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #356
SpasticBus
Indifferent

http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/ty...-91w-ku31.html

$109 each. Free delivery. Sign up to their newsletter and get another 5% off. Then take your tyres into K-Mart and get them fitted and balanced for $15 a corner.

Despite what others may say, i found OzzyTyres to be a pleasure to deal with. Responsive to queries and dispatched within 24 hours.
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #357
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick
My partner has a 2011 WT Fiesta LX TDCi sedan which she cruises around the Macedon Ranges in, so seeing we're both now Ford TDCi people I'm thinking this forum and the site in general may be quite handy going forward!

Anyway, it's been great reading.

Mick
I'm in the Macedon Ranges too, keep an eye out for me in the white TDCI Focus, you'll recognise it, because it has 2 Hella Rallye 4000 compact driving lights on it
Old 28-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #358
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anyone notice these things being really laggy on hot days?
Old 28-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #359
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Not so far mate...having said that I don't think it's been really hot so far...

Mick
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #360
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Ok, two reasonably hot days and I noticed no lag

Mick