Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 16-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 
Default Any track virgin..

Hello people, I'm looking at getting into doing some drag days.. Mainly too see how I handle it and how I can make my car go.. Is there anything I need to look out for? As far as I know I will need a helmut but do I need to do any special licensing or training courses ect?
After some drags I will be looking at trying to get into some track work also.. But that will be later on.. Anyway anything I can take in from you guys will be appreciated.. Cheers...
Sam.

Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
SIMBAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Any track virgin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvgtp255
Hello people, I'm looking at getting into doing some drag days.. Mainly too see how I handle it and how I can make my car go.. Is there anything I need to look out for? As far as I know I will need a helmut but do I need to do any special licensing or training courses ect?
After some drags I will be looking at trying to get into some track work also.. But that will be later on.. Anyway anything I can take in from you guys will be appreciated.. Cheers...
Sam.
i believe for drags just a helmet will do,i think for track days you need a cams license?
Old 16-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
prasac
Banned

yeah, just an approved helmet and the love of going fast
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Depends on how fast your going. Helmet, long Pants, long Shirt, Closed in shoes are the basic requirements. Also you will require a 600ml coke or water bottle as a catch can for any coolant overflow and zip ties to hold it in place.

If your going to go quicker then 10.99 seconds then you will require a ANDRA LIC and a harness and few bits and peices from memory. There is plenty of online calcualtors that can help you estimate your time if you know the power and weight figures of your car.

Checkout the WSID.com.au website and the ANDRA website.

Best to get a decent pair of tyres and smaller Dia wheels for the rear. Your 19 inch wheels and low profile tyres will not help your launches and will be costly to replace after a day of warm up burnouts. Depending on your brake package if you don't have the brembo upgrade then you should be able to fit 16 inch wheels.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Depends on how fast your going. Helmet, long Pants, long Shirt, Closed in shoes are the basic requirements. Also you will require a 600ml coke or water bottle as a catch can for any coolant overflow and zip ties to hold it in place.

If your going to go quicker then 10.99 seconds then you will require a ANDRA LIC and a harness and few bits and peices from memory. There is plenty of online calcualtors that can help you estimate your time if you know the power and weight figures of your car.

Checkout the WSID.com.au website and the ANDRA website.

Best to get a decent pair of tyres and smaller Dia wheels for the rear. Your 19 inch wheels and low profile tyres will not help your launches and will be costly to replace after a day of warm up burnouts. Depending on your brake package if you don't have the brembo upgrade then you should be able to fit 16 inch wheels.
ive recently just purchased some 17s with 275 mickey thompsons.. no idea on what times id be getting? 13 somewhere? being 6sp manual id have some learning to do i would reckon then i could be better?
Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
SIMBAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Makes sure you use the clutch to feed the power as it is the wearable item in the driveline. Make sure you then give the clutch a good brake between runs.

My mate Dan has a XR8 Boss 260 with similar mods to what you got and he runs low 13 ET and his is manual as well. You have a few extra mods so once you get it right you should see 12seconds.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post