Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Galvanised "Private Pole" Durability

I'm doing preliminary homework for a new power supply. It will require a private pole and then underground conduit. Aesthetics of the pole are not a big deal.

Many of the Level 2 supplier of poles and connection reckon that standard gal poles typically only last about fifteen years before corrosion at ground level renders them unsafe, whereas they say hardwood is more like 30-40 years in similar conditions.

Fifteen years sounds kind of short to me. Aside from catastrophic failures (external events), I haven't seen one die yet. Has anyone here actually seen a gal private pole that has failed from ground level corrosion or is at imminent risk of failing?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Galvanised "Private Pole" Durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I'm doing preliminary homework for a new power supply. It will require a private pole and then underground conduit. Aesthetics of the pole are not a big deal.

Many of the Level 2 supplier of poles and connection reckon that standard gal poles typically only last about fifteen years before corrosion at ground level renders them unsafe, whereas they say hardwood is more like 30-40 years in similar conditions.

Fifteen years sounds kind of short to me. Aside from catastrophic failures (external events), I haven't seen one die yet. Has anyone here actually seen a gal private pole that has failed from ground level corrosion or is at imminent risk of failing?
My brother is a L2 Supplier. He often changes wood for gal poles.

I think it's rubbish. The poles are like 5 or 6mm thick. He sprays them with something when he cuts into one - probably a gal paint of sorts to protect the cut.

The only way I can see one failing is if it somehow fills with water and it rots out from the inside but that will take quite a while considering the thickness of the steel.

I see you are in Sydney. Let me know if you need his number

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Cheers, sounds like it’s not just me.

Job is 550km away, probably outside your brother’s preferred territory.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard of private gal poles failing with a linesman on a ladder against them.

Hence why if it's your pole you arrange your own repairs, elecxtrical authorities generally don't work on them
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve only read about that, not previously heard it from a reliable source. Do you know what sort of prevailing environment they were typically in, and how old? [I’m aware of the “no climbing on private poles” policy of some energy companies and Telstra.]

(Not fussed about eventual replacement, trying to choose an economic course where necessary works will recur at a time/age when I’m hopefully still on the ball!)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was told the opposite as in timbers only good for 15-20 but gal around 30 but went hardwood for asstetics

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Cheers, sounds like it’s not just me.

Job is 550km away, probably outside your brother’s preferred territory.
I can't even get him to my place to get work done - you would have had no chance

3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i work for electricity distribution company.

Our guys won't climb them, not sure if union or company directive though. we either need A frame ladder or EWP access.

I've been to a few timber ones that have fallen just from age/weight of wires pulling on them.

a workmate has had a gal one fall and hit his head/back on the way down, and there was a number that have fallen from guys climbing them.

one of the contributing factors is rust, especially at groundline where people chip the gal off with the whipper snipper.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
i work for electricity distribution company.

one of the contributing factors is rust, especially at groundline where people chip the gal off with the whipper snipper.
Had one in the quarry a few months ago when I was there, snap and fall on a mini excavator's operator machine as he was clearing around it. Yep, rust at ground level.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Any idea how old it might have been?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe 5 years from memory, I can remember them putting it in however it was a corrosive environment below a gravel washing plant.

Took out all the crushing plants and electronic scales when it happened. Operator survived but his new machine was toast.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That probably puts it in the “statistical outlier” category, they either chose the wrong material or accepted the risk with an upfront bargain.

I’m wondering about cement/sand grouting inside the pole to above ground, with a 1/4” drain/breathing hole at top of grout.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a base plate & rag bolts?
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
That probably puts it in the “statistical outlier” category, they either chose the wrong material or accepted the risk with an upfront bargain.

I’m wondering about cement/sand grouting inside the pole to above ground, with a 1/4” drain/breathing hole at top of grout.
What is the specific environmental situation this pole is going into that is of concern to you?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Riverina soil; red sandy loam with some clay. Don’t think it’s overly salty or skewed in mineral content.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
PhilT2

Power poles in my street are all in excess of 40 years old, a few have been replaced but most seem ok for a few more years. Class one timber is usually good for that long at least. Street lights were put in on gal poles at least 20 years ago, all still there.
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:48 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Are spun concrete poles available at a realistic cost? e.g. http://www.rocla.com.au/Power-Poles.php They claim a minimum service life of 50 years.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a look for "titan" poles by Dulhunty as well.

fibre/concrete composite.

no idea on costs or sizes available or if they sell to the public
Old 09-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Are you talking near Griffith? Who are you getting to do the work? I would go with a cement pole.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

CB, plenty of railway line off cuts sitting around here doing nothing. I'm sure ARTC won't mind. Just need to pick them up at midnight.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #21
hayseed

All the gal Ones I've seen around here have some type of Bitumen/rubber on the Bit that goes in the Ground & 4-500mm above ground level..

Last edited by hayseed; 09-09-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Are you talking near Griffith? Who are you getting to do the work? I would go with a cement pole.
I’m about 120km east, near Coolamon. No choice of L2 contractor yet, will be looking for one that lets me DIY much as possible. Ideally I just want them to pull the cable through my conduit, and do the hooking up plus meter.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

RW, that modern track weighs a heap! I used it for fence posts once - most of them were a two man lift.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #24
Rambunctious

With regard to rusting of gal poles, here is something to ponder for the electricians.
As a retired Plumber/Builder, I have come across a few underground water services where poly was used in conjunction with brass tees/fittings, and where the incoming underground power supply in conduit to the premises crosses over or under the brass fittings, the brass fittings are almost non existent, meaning a form of electrolysis has caused the brass to dissintergrate.

Could this be happening with the gal poles ??
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve been thinking that it’s poor galvanising; very thin and possibly the etching/rinsing chemicals are not being properly washed away. Also machining processes after galvanising that stress or contaminate the surface - hot grinding is a typical one. The bloke I was effectively apprenticed to (in building) favoured cutting methods he imagined “smeared” the zinc coating across the cut; shearing or cold sawing depending on thickness.

Seen plenty of 19th century galvanised iron that’s still in good shape despite being things like brick vents below the DPC, and was taught that leaving that dusty, limey rinse water (from cleanup of mixed concrete or mortar) coating on your digging tools was a corrosion preventive measure. It seems to work - which is why I’d wondered about grouting inside the pole.

sneaky - the Titans are available, $1320 bare is the lowest price I’ve seen. Compared to $200-odd for a gal pole it’s quite a difference.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #26
hayseed

Citroënbender, I've sent you a PM..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #27
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the gal poles ensure that if you concrete them in there is a bevel to prevent water sitting around the outside of the pole. That helps with rusting and degraded gal as well.
I like the railway iron idea if you can source and install some.

Regards,
Tote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #28
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Pffftttt, forget all that rubbish, get yourself a Stobie Pole mate, ya can't go wrong. I've only ever seen them replaced when something BIG argues with them at high speed... and nobody wins an argument with a Stobie Pole.

https://bluetrainenterprises.com.au/...tricity-poles/

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #29
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I admit to nil action yet. Like the idea of a "monumental" pole but would rather an opportunity to make a real feature of it elsewhere.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #30
Pis-ton broke
Banned

hi, i have two gal poles on my property. one has been in 20 years now and has three lines coming off it, power to the pole and one line to the shed (three phase) and one to the house. it looks like its in good condition, however low in the soil is where it counts. but it does take quite a load.

i personally installed another gal pole a few years back, because the wooden on was stuffed. i concerted around the base, as required in the specs. there is a pdf from the power supply co. on pole and installing specs.

make shore you get get a hot dipped gal pole and not a zinc/gal look alike type of pole. my soil has a bit of sand and drains well, this will contribute to longevity. i see your in sydney, i,m thirlmere, s,w,sydney. your welcome to come and take a look at it.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post