Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #3931
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

137 new cases for Australia (mostly in Victoria) and no deaths so CMR drops to 1.224% and active cases rise to 946 (10.8%). SA records 6 new cases.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.435% and active cases rise to 21.

The UK recorded 516 new cases and 2 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops to 15.493%.

Just over 45k new cases in the USA yesterday and 254 deaths sees CMR down to 4.507% and active cases down to 52.6% but the raw numbers are rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA completes 37M and Russia 21M tests;

Algeria (441), Dominican Republic (1,241), Philippines (2,424), Mexico (6,914)recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #3932
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hermmmmm

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...06-p5599t.html

"Dr Jefferson believes that many viruses lie dormant throughout the globe and emerge when conditions are favourable. It also means they can vanish as quickly as they arrive."

Isn't this what Donald Trump has been claiming all along? "One day, it will just disappear"
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #3933
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Hermmmmm

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...06-p5599t.html

"Dr Jefferson believes that many viruses lie dormant throughout the globe and emerge when conditions are favourable. It also means they can vanish as quickly as they arrive."

Isn't this what Donald Trump has been claiming all along? "One day, it will just disappear"
Im not a Donald lover, but because its DT, people poo poo anything his says. But if it comes from some with a "Dr" before their name, then we take everything that person says on board without question. As far as we know, DT could have gotten his information from a Dr. But haters will find anything bad to pin on DT regardless.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
5 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #3934
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Im not a Donald lover, but because its DT, people poo poo anything his says. But if it comes from some with a "Dr" before their name, then we take everything that person says on board without question. As far as we know, DT could have gotten his information from a Dr. But haters will find anything bad to pin on DT regardless.

I am more interested that he and his cronnies might know more than they are letting on. It is no secret that DT is a germaphobe. Has been all his life, and I remember it was first brought up when he started "The Apprentice". But he is not worried about CV19 one bit. Either he has already had the vaccine or......cue conspiracy theory.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #3935
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I am more interested that he and his cronnies might know more than they are letting on. It is no secret that DT is a germaphobe. Has been all his life, and I remember it was first brought up when he started "The Apprentice". But he is not worried about CV19 one bit. Either he has already had the vaccine or......cue conspiracy theory.
The fact that he takes hydroxychloroquine throws your theory out the window
Old 06-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #3936
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Cronies are democrats.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #3937
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

FMD!

Why are we concentrating on number of cases?

If you have the test and it is negative.

So what?

You could be infected the next day.

It is the death toll that is the measurement of the virus' wrath on humanity.

Locking down the vulnerable is the key to minimising deaths, rather than locking down the healthy.

To visit my 97 year old MIL, you won't get in unless you have had the normal 'flu vaccine and to prove it you have to supply the batch number.

I support such measures because it is protecting the lives of those most at risk.

I also have a mate who has had chemo and he is in isolation because he is at risk. I support measures that protect him.

So please explain how locking down a building is saving lives?

It is a complete waste of time, money and resources.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #3938
PhilT2

Quote:
But haters will find anything bad to pin on DT regardless.
I've just finished John Bolton's book about his time in the White House. I also have a copy of Michael Wolff's book about the start of the Trump presidency. It;s not just the haters who criticise Trump, many who went into his administration as allies have come out as vocal critics of his poor management skills.
A crisis, such as the current one, will always highlight the weaknesses in a leaders skills. Many are still waiting to hear the details of Trumps health policy in detail, especially how he plans to deal with the next pandemic. Or how to manage the economic recovery from this one.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #3939
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

Locking down the vulnerable is the key to minimising deaths, rather than locking down the healthy.

Lols.
You just answered your own question in the one post and didn't even realise.

Who the hell do you think lives in housing commission flats? The fit and healthy?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #3940
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
I've just finished John Bolton's book about his time in the White House. I also have a copy of Michael Wolff's book about the start of the Trump presidency. It;s not just the haters who criticise Trump, many who went into his administration as allies have come out as vocal critics of his poor management skills.
A crisis, such as the current one, will always highlight the weaknesses in a leaders skills. Many are still waiting to hear the details of Trumps health policy in detail, especially how he plans to deal with the next pandemic. Or how to manage the economic recovery from this one.
I agree, the management of the pandemic is very questionable to say the least. I think this has gone against him for Novembers running a bit.

My comment was more towards anything prior to Covid. The choices he has made during Covid though has really undermined whatever credibility he had left.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #3941
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Lols.
You just answered your own question in the one post and didn't even realise.

Who the hell do you think lives in housing commission flats? The fit and healthy?
Freeloading reffos
Old 06-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #3942
blueoval
Critical Thinker

NSW-Vic border to close tomorrow

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #3943
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So I was saving my annual leave at work and now I've got about 5 weeks banked that I can use but can't go anywhere and will probably have forced on me at Christmas so I can sit at home and do nothing

Mexican lockdown sucks.

Is Greece still opening its borders to us? Might go to Greece if Sydney won't let me in

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...virus/12323460

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-07-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #3944
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Freeloading reffos
The last sentence is Spot on, i reckon..

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/head...e-poor-people/
Old 06-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #3945
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
FMD!

Why are we concentrating on number of cases?

If you have the test and it is negative.

So what?

You could be infected the next day.

It is the death toll that is the measurement of the virus' wrath on humanity.

To visit my 97 year old MIL, you won't get in unless you have had the normal 'flu vaccine and to prove it you have to supply the batch number.

I support such measures because it is protecting the lives of those most at risk.

I also have a mate who has had chemo and he is in isolation because he is at risk. I support measures that protect him.

Cav you are fairly correct, however the situation if the healthy spread it widely will include healthy looking medical staff eventually getting it and being asymptomatic, so you can imagine what it will be like in a cancer ward with close proximity and IVs being applied to the most at risk, many of whom need to return frequently over multiple weeks - or have an ongoing treatment.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #3946
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Freeloading reffos
Look at this news article from 'Their' ABC

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12423170

It's all racist police targeting our community and other nonsense from people with reffo names.

Probably because you got 57 of you with the pandemic.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #3947
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
NSW-Vic border to close tomorrow
Some Qld politician was talking on the abc radio a few days ago about re evaluating the opening of the Qld/NSW border, he said it would probably depend how NSW handled the 'Victoria lssue'.......

I guess it's been handled.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #3948
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
The last sentence is Spot on, i reckon..

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/head...e-poor-people/
Little story - The old man was a town planner of the 1960s generation and they all marvelled at these new towers. Architects like Le Corbusier cried out that if Paris' slums were not cleared and replaced with these towers, revolution would occur!

So the former slums (individual and attached housing) were cleared and the great modernist and brutalist towers in the sky were developed. The idea was everyone lives in the tower, there are great grassy expanses around to play games and sports. Life would be better.

Fast forward to the 1990s/2000s and I am a building surveyor on jobs to check over these things before substantial renovation or demolition. All around the building, scenes of anomie - graffiti, needles, alienation. I do remember one level being tagged 'Cell Block D'. What happened? I went back and asked my old man "What were you guys thinking?" He replied that the situation was worse beforehand, but the blocks had not proved to be the vision they had for them... I told him what I'd seen.

For the future I hope for quality, individual housing instead of these things. Maybe it will be better, maybe not.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #3949
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

For the future I hope for quality, individual housing instead of these things. Maybe it will be better, maybe not.
Very few votes in spending money on quality public housing.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #3950
PhilT2

A mate was one of a dozen or so of the staff let go from the IT section of a fairly big outfit about a month ago. He got an interview last week and the interviewer apologised for the delay in getting back to him. Apparently they had 1200 applications to sort through.

Maybe it's going to take awhile before things get back to normal.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #3951
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Freeloading reffos
Tell us what you really think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
Little story - The old man was a town planner of the 1960s generation and they all marvelled at these new towers. Architects like Le Corbusier cried out that if Paris' slums were not cleared and replaced with these towers, revolution would occur!

snipedydooda...

Sydney had some of those at Redfern. My biological father lived in one for decades with teh woman she shacked up with after my mother threw him out. The suicide rate was spectacular. They pulled them down eventually.

It's really easy to criticise people in hindsight who tried to do the right thing and failed. Maybe someday if you actually achieve something you will find yourself judged in retrospect.

I grew up as poor as people get in Australia. My parents never got public housing nor welfare. I guess in those days people didn't go on the dole unless they ahd to, or if they lived in an area where the culture encouraged it. I never understood PH myself. It was brought in after the ware for returned soldiers and I get that, but the expansion to all sorts of people bewilders me. It also amazes me they put so much of it east of the great divide. If you have a job you don't need PH, if you don't you don't need to live in Sydney. You could buy 5+ as many houses west of the divide for the same money and maybe living in a community in the country might help some of the mental health issues that prevail among PH residents.

But I'm sure I'm wrong and the left leaning sociologists who support this stuff know better. Afterall they get everything else right.

Back on topic have seen all over the world high density living equate to high infection rates. Luckily out here in semi rural brisbane outskirts I'm yet to exhibit symptoms of the covids and there has only been one confirmed case in the area. Still every trip to the superdoopermarket is a risk, and I spent some quality time in bunnings the other day..

Regarding Trump you are all asking the wrong questions. Given the division of power in the USA, and a disobedient population, do you really think Hilary or anyone else could have done a better job ?

Herding cats into a cupboard...
3 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #3952
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Back on topic have seen all over the world high density living equate to high infection rates.
Hong Kong is a high density area but they have had very few cases. Whether you choose to call their citizens compliant or smart is up to you but many were wearing masks before their gov recommended it. A 99% compliance rate with mask wearing meant the lockdown was less restrictive and shorter than elsewhere.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #3953
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Hong Kong is a high density area but they have had very few cases. Whether you choose to call their citizens compliant or smart is up to you but many were wearing masks before their gov recommended it. A 99% compliance rate with mask wearing meant the lockdown was less restrictive and shorter than elsewhere.
Hong Kong learnt cleanliness from SARS in 2003. there is regular sanitising of public areas high contact things such as lift buttons/handrails.

Last edited by five 7; 06-07-2020 at 07:13 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #3954
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Aunty Pauline's caused controversy on the Today show this morning

Quote:
WHAT DID HANSON SAY THIS MORNING?

On the Today show this morning, co-host Ally Langdon put it to Senator Hanson that some of the tower residents hadn’t had a proper meal since Saturday.

“Ah come on Ally, we’ve seen food being delivered there,” she replied. “The fact is a lot of them are drug addicts as well, they are getting their medication, they are alcoholics so they’re being looked after in that way.

“They are actually getting paid extra money. Why are they getting paid extra money? For what? They are not leaving the premises.”

Senator Hanson went on to say that residents’ inability to speak English had led to the towers being shut down.

“A lot of these people are from non-English speaking back grounds, probably English is their second language who haven’t adhered to the rules of social distancing. They all used a lot of the same laundry,” she said.
https://amp.news.com.au/entertainmen...mpression=true
Old 06-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #3955
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Hong Kong learnt cleanliness from SARS in 2003. there is regular sanitising of public areas high contact things such as lift buttons/handrails.
A US tv program did a story last week on cleanliness in upmarket hotels during the pandemic, seems like $600 a night doesn't guarantee clean sheets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltBrCJC5BNI
Old 06-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #3956
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Covid 19 -

I’m from Darwin, currently spending 4 days in Alice Springs on a drive holiday because I can’t go interstate.

Never been here before and took a drive to the airport for a squizz.

Heaps of planes parked out in the paddock, but thought I’d wander in to the terminal to see what they had to offer as it was close enough to lunch time.

Walked in, no dramas. Presented through the security scanning machine and low and behold, they stopped me for my Leatherman Tread!

Never been pulled up anywhere else in the country but good old Alice decided it wasn’t suitable. Didn’t matter that it was airline approved, it was an Alice ‘thing’.
Said I wasn’t travelling anywhere just coming through to see what sort of feed I could get in the terminal.
Kind of them to offer to ‘look after it’ for me seeing as I wasn’t ‘flying’ anywhere today.
Anyway, not really worth hanging around for a feed, and the ‘safe’ side of the security screening was no different to the other side, so I turned around and walked back out. And retrieved my Tread from the friendly young bloke at the security screening point.

Not one of the screening people had masks on, yet there were cops on the ‘screened’ side of the terminal taking details of every inbound person who landed, fully masked.

Bit different?

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #3957
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #3958
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
I’m from Darwin, currently spending 4 days in Alice Springs on a drive holiday because I can’t go interstate.

Never been here before and took a drive to the airport for a squizz.

Heaps of planes parked out in the paddock, but thought I’d wander in to the terminal to see what they had to offer as it was close enough to lunch time.

Walked in, no dramas. Presented through the security scanning machine and low and behold, they stopped me for my Leatherman Tread!

Never been pulled up anywhere else in the country but good old Alice decided it wasn’t suitable. Didn’t matter that it was airline approved, it was an Alice ‘thing’.
Said I wasn’t travelling anywhere just coming through to see what sort of feed I could get in the terminal.
Kind of them to offer to ‘look after it’ for me seeing as I wasn’t ‘flying’ anywhere today.
Anyway, not really worth hanging around for a feed, and the ‘safe’ side of the security screening was no different to the other side, so I turned around and walked back out. And retrieved my Tread from the friendly young bloke at the security screening point.

Not one of the screening people had masks on, yet there were cops on the ‘screened’ side of the terminal taking details of every inbound person who landed, fully masked.

Bit different?
These planes? taken 1st May on my way home from Darwin to Bundy. Quite a few Singapore Airlines plus a few others, I don't think Alice see's to many A380's, i think i counted six.....

Just arrived back in Darwin yesterday, hopefully for only my normal 5 week swing and not the 2 plus months i did last time....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #3959
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The irony of Victoria being the hardest locked down state to start with.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #3960
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The irony of Victoria being the hardest locked down state to start with.
Now we know how Hong Kong feels atm.
Closed Thread