Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #31
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Mercedes Benz X-Class

Mercedes-Benz has lost some of it's panache in recent decades as it has entered segments of the market where decades ago you won't dream of. I don't say the cheaper M-B models are mediocre. But gone are they days when driving a M-B meant best of the best with road presence that gave an air of dignity and looked like it could be as strong as a tank. Today's M-B are becoming more anonymous in a sea of bubble shaped cars and bragging you drive a S63 for example is slightly undervalued when somebody else drives an A class M-B.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There won't be an AMG version. There is no AMG Vitaro's, or Sprinters, or Actros. This is just another standard Mercedes Commercial vehicle. Nothing special about a re-badged Navara
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2017, 12:24 AM   #33
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
There won't be an AMG version. There is no AMG Vitaro's, or Sprinters, or Actros. This is just another standard Mercedes Commercial vehicle. Nothing special about a re-badged Navara
Special bit is a V6 190kW/550Nm Mercedes engine in top of the range version.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #34
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
This is what many are overlooking - MB has been building commercial vehicles for almost as long as they've been building sedans, a ute was just a matter of time.

I am guessing they went with a partnership arrangement as a way to test the waters, no doubt it will sell well and the next gen will be ground up MB.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #35
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
There is in fact an AMG Vito. It has no performance modifications, just a bodykit and heavily decked out cabin.

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #36
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder if they'll throw a bale of hay and 40 bags of horse shyte in with the pink bow when you pick it up. What a joke. A Nissedes. Each to their own as the saying goes, I'm sure there will be a special bunch of people that it will appeal to.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #37
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will easily be the ute of choice for Melbourne home builders and developers
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #38
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My boss has 2 benzes and is very well looked after by the Adelaide dealer, there is no reason why he won't buy one of these to tow his boat/jetski/toys.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #39
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Wonder if they'll throw a bale of hay and 40 bags of horse shyte in with the pink bow when you pick it up. What a joke. A Nissedes. Each to their own as the saying goes, I'm sure there will be a special bunch of people that it will appeal to.
Like the rest of these small cock syndrome mobile road blocks that are very rarely used for their intended purposes. 70 grand for a top of the line show pony regardless of the badge someone's taking the **** and thousands are falling for it.

The four cylinder engine is Renault not Nissan BTW.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #40
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

They look cool, not sure id lift it 2" add 33s a bull bar and snorkel tho!
Old 30-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #41
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

It would have to be pretty special to best a V6 Amarok. That's hands down the best "truck" I've ever driven.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #42
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Like the rest of these small cock syndrome mobile road blocks that are very rarely used for their intended purposes. 70 grand for a top of the line show pony regardless of the badge someone's taking the **** and thousands are falling for it.

The four cylinder engine is Renault not Nissan BTW.
Why do people on here continue to generalise about this type of vehicle? If it doesn't suit your lifestyle don't get one, simple. I have owned many Falcons including an FPV and the Ranger is holding together way better than any of them. 3 years on and I could still get roughly 40k private sale. Less than 15k off purchase price. Besides an XR8 a 3yo falc would be lucky to be worth half its original value so even though you front up more to start with you're still gonna be in front. These cars are extremely versatile and as much as I've love a quick car, for day to day driving they really are a one trick pony and offer very little apart from a traffic light stab. Ill be moving this one on soon and buying another. Just hoping Ford offer the V6 ecoboost in the next, best of both worlds.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #43
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
Why do people on here continue to generalise about this type of vehicle? If it doesn't suit your lifestyle don't get one, simple. I have owned many Falcons including an FPV and the Ranger is holding together way better than any of them. 3 years on and I could still get roughly 40k private sale. Less than 15k off purchase price. Besides an XR8 a 3yo falc would be lucky to be worth half its original value so even though you front up more to start with you're still gonna be in front. These cars are extremely versatile and as much as I've love a quick car, for day to day driving they really are a one trick pony and offer very little apart from a traffic light stab. Ill be moving this one on soon and buying another. Just hoping Ford offer the V6 ecoboost in the next, best of both worlds.
Glad your Ranger is. Bloke at work has just had $8000 of work done to his Ranger, and it was just out of warranty. Ford agreed to pay half god bless them.

Dual cabs are great vehicles, we had a dmax for 4 years and could not fault it-period, the thing was that good. I put the thing through hell and back and I did not have one fault the entire time I had it. Was cheap to run and cheap to service. We may get another dual cab down the track but it won't be a Merc.
If Ford offer the ecoboost V6 I'll look at the Ford - on any platform! I loved the dmax ruggedness but Fme I could never go back to a 4cylinder diesel in anything. Even if Merc offers the V6 I wouldn't be buying one. As mentioned, each to their own but Merc won't get my business.

Like him/hate him - JC. Forward to 1.35 :
https://youtu.be/4thuVBr_4EA

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 30-07-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 24-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #44
Sioso
irregular member

That's big money, who will pay $68,990 (so well over $70K on road) for an X 250d when it has the same engine as the Navara but is over 200kg heavier (0-100km/h in 11.8)

The V6 is going to be well over $80K on road.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...leaked-109518/

Dealer reveals starting price for new Benz pick-up

Your new ute, with a three-pointed star on the grille, will cost you a minimum of $48,000. That, in broad terms, is where pricing for the base model X-Class cab chassis starts, according to a reader who was provided the pricing information ahead of its official release.

In a comment posted yesterday in response to Bruce Newton's news story concerning the order bank for the new Mercedes X-Class, reader 'Graeme' revealed that the pricing information has been with Benz dealers "for a few weeks now".

After leaving a deposit for an X 350d five months ago, Graeme received a courtesy call from his dealer, advising the pricing details. The X 350d Power will cost $78,990 before options and on-road costs, the salesperson revealed. For the X 250d Power the price is $68,990, also before the on-roads and options.

While fitted as standard with plenty of nice kit, the X-Class in the Power grade can still be ordered with a plethora of options, including a 19-inch alloy wheel pack for $2000 (in lieu of the standard 18-inch alloys), a leather trim pack for $2000, a hard tonneau for $3000 and metallic paint for $990. It didn't take too many options, according to Graeme, before the price of his X 350d was up around $95,000 or higher.

Mercedes-Benz was approached for a response, but hadn't replied in time for publication.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #45
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
That's big money, who will pay $68,990 (so well over $70K on road) for an X 250d when it has the same engine as the Navara but is over 200kg heavier (0-100km/h in 11.8)

The V6 is going to be well over $80K on road.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...leaked-109518/

Dealer reveals starting price for new Benz pick-up

Your new ute, with a three-pointed star on the grille, will cost you a minimum of $48,000. That, in broad terms, is where pricing for the base model X-Class cab chassis starts, according to a reader who was provided the pricing information ahead of its official release.

In a comment posted yesterday in response to Bruce Newton's news story concerning the order bank for the new Mercedes X-Class, reader 'Graeme' revealed that the pricing information has been with Benz dealers "for a few weeks now".

After leaving a deposit for an X 350d five months ago, Graeme received a courtesy call from his dealer, advising the pricing details. The X 350d Power will cost $78,990 before options and on-road costs, the salesperson revealed. For the X 250d Power the price is $68,990, also before the on-roads and options.

While fitted as standard with plenty of nice kit, the X-Class in the Power grade can still be ordered with a plethora of options, including a 19-inch alloy wheel pack for $2000 (in lieu of the standard 18-inch alloys), a leather trim pack for $2000, a hard tonneau for $3000 and metallic paint for $990. It didn't take too many options, according to Graeme, before the price of his X 350d was up around $95,000 or higher.

Mercedes-Benz was approached for a response, but hadn't replied in time for publication.
Oh dear.

I think they may struggle for significant volume.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheapest Mercedes Sprinter is about $47k.
Thing is most people who want an X Class will want the top of the line model.
$80k is having a lend.
Top spec ute pricing has gotten way out of hand in Australia over the past few years.
Nothing will change if people keep paying $60k+
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Top of the range x-class is expected to be $84K
https://www.motoring.com.au/geneva-m...-class-111341/

and 7.9 0/100kph absolutely destroys the opposition
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #48
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Top of the range x-class is expected to be $84K
https://www.motoring.com.au/geneva-m...-class-111341/

and 7.9 0/100kph absolutely destroys the opposition
7.9 means it's equal with a V6 Amarok.
Which is surprising as the merc is supposedly around 200+kg heavier.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #49
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I've got the new Nissan that this is based on, paid mid $40k for the 4wd. Great ute, very capable on and off road, tows well, great interior etc etc. Only negative is the rear suspension gets lowered quite easily with anything more than 600kg in the tray. But there is no way I would pay more than what I did, regardless of the badge on the front, great value for money at Nissan pricing but anything more and there is better options.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #50
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

MB are not chasing "volumes" and they have quoted this.
Just filling in their range choice for current buyers/devotees of brand and pull in some here and there wishing to over spend for a brand no matter the variant.
Just think how many small/medium business owners have a MB sedan or wagon or SUV and need another business run around - the "look at me" buyer is todays money jam.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #51
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
7.9 means it's equal with a V6 Amarok.
Which is surprising as the merc is supposedly around 200+kg heavier.
I dont think the Amarok is that quick, at least I haven't read that it is.

I've driven my mates Amarok up in Darwin, its very refined and handles the corrugated roads great. accelerated ok but I wasn't out to set 0/100 times
Old 01-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We may see a BMW rival too 5 years at least though
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...-x-class-67658
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #53
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
I dont think the Amarok is that quick, at least I haven't read that it is.

I've driven my mates Amarok up in Darwin, its very refined and handles the corrugated roads great. accelerated ok but I wasn't out to set 0/100 times
https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...0161124-gswvl3

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews...arok-v6-review

https://motoringuru.com.au/car-news/...-sportline-v6/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8anum_ewmGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZTJ2Y1rxVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJdimprDiQA
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #54
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Special bit is a V6 190kW/550Nm Mercedes engine in top of the range version.
And a decent engine option to sway anyone who was looking at the Ranger Raptor but disappointed with the little 2l engine offered by Ford.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #55
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're disappointed a manufacturer other than Ford has released an engine option in a 4wd ute that people actually want. Can't wait to see the comparisons between the little 2.0l in the Ranger Raptor and the V6 Merc!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #56
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
You're disappointed a manufacturer other than Ford has released an engine option in a 4wd ute that people actually want. Can't wait to see the comparisons between the little 2.0l in the Ranger Raptor and the V6 Merc!

Am I disappointed Mercedes offered a 190kw/550Nm engine to Fords 157kw/500Nm for the Ranger Raptor? Sorry to disappoint you, no I’m not. Even if the Ranger Raptor was offered with a motor running the same power as the Merc I’d still opt for the 2 litre. Even in the current Ranger there are customers who choose the smaller capacity engine - imagine that.

You mention you ‘can’t wait’ - geezuz settle down, it’s only another 33kw/50Nm more than FORDS 2 litre and 3 less gears

When the comparison goes off-road get ready to really laugh.

2 entirely different vehicles for 2 entirely different customers.

Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Getting tired of editing out the name calling in this thread - might have to start with the official warnings next.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #57
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Merc customers may want the TITAN if it’s power they want -
It’s coming to Oz running the Cummins 5 litre V8 TD. It will have a little more than the 33kw and 50Nm the Merc has over the Raptor you’re so excited about. It runs 231kw/310hp and has 752Nm of torque at a locomotive hauling 1600rpm.

https://mr4x4.com.au/hold-horses-don...tan-australia/

Edit - engine link - The diesel brothers in the states just gave away a TITAN running the Cummins and they were very impressed with this engine. It’s near on zero emissions also.

https://cumminsengines.com/nissan-titan

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 02-03-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #58
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Am I disappointed Mercedes offered a 190kw/550Nm engine to Fords 157kw/500Nm for the Ranger Raptor? Sorry to disappoint you, no I’m not. Even if the Ranger Raptor was offered with a motor running the same power as the Merc I’d still opt for the 2 litre. Even in the current Ranger there are customers who choose the smaller capacity engine - imagine that.

You mention you ‘can’t wait’ - geezuz settle down, it’s only another 33kw/50Nm more than FORDS 2 litre and 3 less gears

2 entirely different vehicles for 2 entirely different customers .
Not really as we are talking the same price tag. fit the same size wheels and Tyres to the Merc and the offroad performance closes up significantly.

Personally all power aside I like the sound and refinement of the V6 diesel over the 4 pot tractor sound.

Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: quoting edited thread
Old 02-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #59
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not really as we are talking the same price tag. fit the same size wheels and Tyres to the Merc and the offroad performance closes up significantly.

Personally all power aside I like the sound and refinement of the V6 diesel over the 4 pot tractor sound.

Now we’re fitting bigger tyres and wheels to the Merc - yeah righto that’ll do it, not even gunna waste typing an answer to that.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #60
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

2 entirely different vehicles for 2 entirely different customers .
And that is why Ford gets away with a mediocre engine.

You probably think the lady in the Ford ad calling the Ranger a 'Truck' is acceptable too.

Some of us have higher expectations.

Last edited by Raptor; 02-03-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: quoting edited thread
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post