Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Default Noisy Tyres

Original Good Year Tyres generated unusual noise front and rear and sounded like I done a wheel bearing on all 4. Reversing these Tyres make humming noise at low speed. Alignment was not done at factory for car was out of Alighnment fast. I got rid of Tyres tried continental contact 3 it not that great either and worn within 25000 km.it did reduced a bit of the noise. After 6 months my alighnment was out again. Continental I got rid of running quieter Michelin primacy ST 3 much nicer very quiet but ford not put much insulation into underbody and body these cars not suitable for Australian conditions.
Ford guru is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Noisy Tyres

I think you'll find there is a bit more done to it for sound than your average vehicle, all you have to do is look under the carpet and take a door card off to see some little extra's.

I'd have liked the floor in the boot covered as that id my source of noise and some more in the doors would have been nice, but to say not much been done is not the case.

Steering and suspension geometry is a touchy subject but I can say if either are worn there's no alignment that can fix it. Fix it first and it should be better. 25K kms can easily be explained through ones driving style and environment. I don't see a problem with 25K kms personally. You're looking for comfort not longevity after all.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Gee, I thought the Mondeo was very quiet (at least my XR5 - admittedly top end model at the time).

What model and spec level do you have ?

What type of surfaces do you drive on ?
Aussie-spec coarse chip is bad news. But I think you notice the noise more in the Mondeo because everything else is ssssooo quiet (unlike my 1970's classics on the same road).

I've found the whatever brand tyres get noisier as they wear down (esp. when quite low tread). The tyres are pretty wide compared to anything else I've had over the years.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm having the Toyo TEO plus tyres on my LX TDCi replaced tomorrow. They have done 48333km and are down to 2.8mm. Mostly country roads. Ok new but got noisier as they wore.

Im getting the Michelin primacy ST3s.
215/55/16 93W. They might be quiet new but later on I'll see (hear?).

The old tyres have worn evenly and the car hasn't had a wheel alignment since I bought it 48333km ago. Just avoid potholes at 100km/h?

I do find the car a bit low to go on deeply rutted driveways so park on road and walk . . .
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Just reply to some post's my mondeo 2009 MA .When car new the wheel alignment not set properly from factory. I drive on sealed roads only! City and country roads . MA , MB same by MC model 2012 must of improved, but the car had alignment front and rear on proper lazer alignment machine it corrected perfectly. There not much rubber cushion in suspension it seems,so road holding very good but transmit road noise from Aussie roads very different from European roads of course . BA falcon bit quieter in comparision. I replaced original Good Year excellence tyres with quieter continental contact3 and made small improvement. Later I had another set of tyres continental MC5 quiet but worn within 25000 km. Next was Michelin pilot sport 3, great road holding but noisy on any surface but long wearing pretty happy . Next set I have I m currently using are Michelin primacy ST 3 this is best tyre I have had and $185 each there made big difference,they wear very evenly all tyres I had except first lot which came from factory which is Good Year excellence . But not excellent at all !! Compared to previous car mondeo not much insulation in body including fenders and engine bay so road noise only add to this . The car not as quiet for conversation while driving is only comparision Iam talking about . New mondeo 2016 I understand from write up it very quiet.

Last edited by Ford guru; 29-03-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 29-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford guru View Post
The car not as quiet for conversation while driving is only comparision Iam talking about .
I agree, that has been my experience.
Old 29-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree about the Primacy 3 ST. They are the best tyres I've had on either Mondeo, very smooth and quiet with decent grip.

If you think Oz chip seal is bad, try some of our main roads!
Old 29-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Continental ContiSport Contact 3 is a sport type tyre.

Good Year excellence looks to be a fuel efficiency tyre and I have my doubts about low noise claims.

continental MC5, first low noise and fuel efficient tyre you've mentioned yet you didn't like them because they lasted 25K kms.

Michelin pilot sport 3, flat out ultra sport tyre, though does terrific noise.

Michelin primacy ST 3, your best choice specifically looking at low noise and IMO the best of the lot.

In Australia our roads (outside of the CBD) are far to coarse for any tyre to dampen though only a few do a good enough job. If you're chasing low noise tyres you should be focussing on that specific feature. Full sport or economy tyres aren't going to help, much like tyres that can last 50K-70K kms. Continental ContiComfortContact5 would have served better than the sport3 MC3 or MC5's.

Two new 2016 MD Mondeo Titanium vehicle's that I've seen myself come equipped with ContiComfortContact 5 and or Primacy LC. I can say be experience the MD is extremely quiet it's the quietest vehicle I've been in this class passenger vehicle wise it's sublime. You almost can't hear a peep out of the EcoBoost engine at idle so body wise it's a bang up job. On the HWY over 620kms worth it was much quieter than mine by a big measure. Even though the PS3's are the quietest tyre it's had so far.

Nothing cures crappy coarse roads unfortunately, but you can do your best to minimise it. I reckon my next set will be Primacy LC and see how they go.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
Mondaveo

Another vote for Michelins here. My MC is currently rolling on Primacy HP and I've no complaints; although I've nothing to compare directly, being as they were the tyres on the car when I bought it. The current other, and couple previously owned cars have all been city runabouts, so the MC Mondeo feels amply cosseting and quiet in those lopsided comparisons. Agree with cobrin that the MD steps it up further; on my test drive, I found it so quiet as to feel strangely disconnected (something I'm sure you get used to).

B.M. (Before Mondeo), I did swap the wife's car onto Michelin Energy XM2, specifically chasing quietness and economy, when the OEM Hankooks wore out. Subjectively, I'd say they succeed in improving for noise, but they are also vastly superior for wet roadholding. I wouldn't hesitate to go for Michelins again on either car when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 29-03-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
Focii

My Dad was running Bridgestone Turanza T001 on his MA Mondeo Zetec, and they were by far the quietest tyres he had on that car.

The car didn't feel quite as nimble, however it was really quiet and a good ride compared some of the more performance oriented tyres he had on it. The other benefit to the T001's is that they lasted far longer too.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Binny

I do 50km of concrete motorway every day and and I am always amazed at how quiet my Mondeo is at 110. Zero wind noise, a slight growl from the diesel on inclines and a slight tyre rumble. Sometimes when I have had a rough day at work I just put the windows up, turn the stereo off and enjoy the peace. Because that peace gets shattered when I get home lol.
Its all in context to what you are used to I guess. Its not like I have a history of luxury cars haha. But my AUIII wagon was a lot noisier.
Old 30-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

My XR5 235/40x18
- came with Continental Contact Sport - rubbish from day 1, ... and expensive
- Yokohama C-Drive @32800k (x4) , could have been a bit more except nail collection prompted 2 new tyres . I used to run these on my Prelude and was very happy.
- Yokohama C-Drive 2 @ 63000k (x2) X
- Michelin Pilot Sport 3 @ 75000k (x2) means I got 40K kms out of the Yoko rear tyres !!!
- (soon, probably more Michelins) @ around 93000kms, front Yokohamas are wearing down. Again around 30K kms covered.

Interestingly, over the last 35yrs Ive used
Goodyear GT70 - ok for price
Toyo - Falcon and Telstar - both quite happy
Michelin MXL - fantastic !! Accord hatch, and also Prelude
Michelin Energy - very quiet on classic vehicles with 70 profile
Yokohama A539 - Also fantastic on Prelude
Yokohama ?? - Subaru Outback - OEM, ok for purpose, but expensive and collect nails !!
Continental / Yokohama / Michelin - Mondeo

Looks like I have my favourites - Yokohama and Michelin !!
Tyre brand/model availability changes over the life of a vehicle, as does price for equivalent product, which sometimes drives the purchase decision.
Old 30-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
I do 50km of concrete motorway every day and and I am always amazed at how quiet my Mondeo is at 110. Zero wind noise, a slight growl from the diesel on inclines and a slight tyre rumble. Sometimes when I have had a rough day at work I just put the windows up, turn the stereo off and enjoy the peace. Because that peace gets shattered when I get home lol.
Its all in context to what you are used to I guess. Its not like I have a history of luxury cars haha. But my AUIII wagon was a lot noisier.
The Mondeo with the right tyres is a quiet car. I'm struggling to think of anything quieter - I drive quite a few different rentals, but not usually BMW or Merc.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #14
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Michelin primacy 3STs are nice and quiet compared to the worn out Toyos.

I didn't take the tyre service's assessment of brake pads too seriously:
I was given a report stating all the pads were down to 2.5mm when in fact I'd inspected the pads the day before, the fronts were all about equal at 4.7mm. I use 0.1mm series metric drill bits as a gauge, so can't be too far off. Pays to double check.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Quote:
The new Michelin primacy 3STs are nice and quiet compared to the worn out Toyos.

I didn't take the tyre service's assessment of brake pads too seriously:
I was given a report stating all the pads were down to 2.5mm when in fact I'd inspected the pads the day before, the fronts were all about equal at 4.7mm. I use 0.1mm series metric drill bits as a gauge, so can't be too far off. Pays to double check.
Good to here good out come I fine these tires are the best I have got for the money cheaper than I paid for for other tires in post you replyed!
I find Mondeo brake pads wear very quick and leave wheel covered in lots of brake dust. I since change to bendix brake pads as specified by Bendix there CT I think ! Anyway the pads wear the softer mondeo discs because there more metal in pad so the brake disc rotors where changed from disc rotors I got from Bersons auto parts they gave me a really cheap option that worked. I am told by a ford dealer the discs on mondeo not has hardened steel as the falcon discs for they made for tougher Aussie conditions. It known they in Australia we very hard on our brakes so falcon is superior quality Iam told!
Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Binny

Its nothing to do with Aussie conditions and everything to do with braking performance. Euro cars are mostly fitted with better rotors and high performance metallic pads because they need to be able to perform at the higher motorway speeds over there without fading or warping. This is why they are more expensive to replace. My Mondeo brakes are the best I've had in over 20 different cars.

Falcon brakes on the other hand, if "made for tough aussie conditions" means prone to warping they got it spot on.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #17
Ford guru
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Its nothing to do with Aussie conditions and everything to do with braking performance. Euro cars are mostly fitted with better rotors and high performance metallic pads because they need to be able to perform at the higher motorway speeds over there without fading or warping. This is why they are more expensive to replace. My Mondeo brakes are the best I've had in over 20 different cars.

Falcon brakes on the other hand, if "made for tough aussie conditions" means prone to warping they got it spot on.
Compared to my experience with mondeo MA 2009 ,MB same as well the brake disc pads are very soft wear on the rear was higher than front for discs on rear are small. Properly something to do with the fact there same size as a focus smaller car. For rear pads changed 3 times and front once and it only done 145000km. And the car ,felt under braked and I not convinced it match Falcons of FG series for performance. I find even with soft genuine pads they not any better than a XR6 for many Falcons I driven have had same performance if not better braking performance than my Zetec 2.3 mondeo. I know of many friends that are much more aggressive at braking than I am and they not touched brake pads or discs yet! Of course by not using genuine brake pads they will wear the disc very fast so . It better to use aftermarket disc rotors and pads made improved feel and longer life.

Last edited by Ford guru; 03-04-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #18
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More info on brakes in http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444771 :How to avoid too much black dust.

Not using brakes helps. All very well if there aren't any intersections.

MY rears are worn more than the front. There are ridges on the edges of the discs. OK to change pads without changing discs?. (Front minimum thickness=26mm, rear 9mm, new discs 28mm,10mm) The lips and pads will sort it out?

Soft pads an option to avoid disc wear?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #19
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
More info on brakes in http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444771 :
MY rears are worn more than the front. There are ridges on the edges of the discs. OK to change pads without changing discs?. The lips and pads will sort it out?
....... REAR DISCS....
I (MB XR5) use cruise control a lot, even around town (CBR). I'm told with many new cars the rear brake comes on first, and may be why (lots of) gentle auto cruise cntl (ACC) speed adjustment triggers rear before front, using the pads even more.

Also, according to other comments on this forum......., the lip on the rear will probably prevent the caliper being removed. The rear pistons wind out with brake pad wear and cannot be wound back in without removing the caliper. OP comments said "grind the lip off to remove caliper", at which point I let my usual mechanic deal with the problem ......

Rears done around 70,000K, with fronts only half worn. My rear discs were just on tolerance, and pads worn enough too.