Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
lotusproject

Default Aftermarket Double Din Head Unit For Mondeo Zetec MC

I am considering fitting such a unit to my car for the benefit of inbuilt GPS and a reversing camera, plus bluetooth and CD/DVD player.
My advice is that I will lose Sync and maybe some other functions compared with the OEM Sony unit.
I have come across an Aerpro harness (CHF05C) that will enable use of steering wheel controls but have several other questions that I am finding it difficult to get answered:
For Example, will this harness enable the following:

1. Give audible warnings for fasten seat belts, door open, lights on etc.?
2. Transmit to the centre panel of the colour dashboard display info such as station tuned to, CD track playing, aux tracks etc., as per the OEM unit in my car?
3. Full use of steering wheel control buttons?
4. Audible warning on front and rear parking sensors using different pitch?

Any thoughts anyone please?
lotusproject is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Deo

This is just guessing on my part but I would say:
1. Yes, I doubt that would stop even without the harness
2. No, almost no chance
3. Probably, if that's what it says it does
4. Probably, as per 1

Your best bet is to focus on selecting an aftermarket HU that is designed for a Mondeo mk4.5 rather than expecting a harness to improve things.

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch

Last edited by Deo; 31-03-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
VF69HARDTOP
Starter Motor

Default Re: Aftermarket Double Din Head Unit For Mondeo Zetec MC

Eonon make a replacement unit for the Mondeo with inbuilt GPS and more but the sound quality is not great.
VF69HARDTOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
lotusproject

Thank you to VF69HARDTOP and Deo.
My main concern is that so little seems to be known about the performance of these harnesses, even by the people that sell them. They virtually offer no comments about what they will and will not do.
Hoping to hear from someone that has done what I am proposing to do.
Thanks again for comments
Old 19-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
GT014

I bought my aftermarket satnav stereo from these guys, the head unit on my sorento looks factory fit but looks and responds better.

Check these guys out, it's all plug and play

http://www.car-vision.co.uk/286-ford-mondeo
Old 19-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
lotusproject

Many thanks GT014.
I will check out the lead you provided.
Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
jayess
Starter Motor

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the forum here.

Thought I'd give this thread a refresh.

I found these guys yesterday and their unit seems pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmuX_C2tdk
http://www.otomultimedya.com/urun/an...pasitif-ekran/

The issue I've found with the Eonon devices and other devices around eBay are that they made for MB mondeos, cos MC models everywhere else received the new NX navigation system except for Aus ==. As a result, we would lose Convers+ functionality being reduced to just a trip computer.

This unit is compatible with Convers+ and the Mondeo in the vid is an MC one which is reassuring.
Just need to find out if we can get Aus maps on it is all.

EDIT: They're able to ship to Aus and accept PayPal

Last edited by jayess; 06-06-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Extra Info
jayess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
lotusproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayess View Post

The issue I've found with the Eonon devices and other devices around eBay are that they made for MB mondeos, cos MC models everywhere else received the new NX navigation system except for Aus ==. As a result, we would lose Convers+ functionality being reduced to just a trip computer.

This unit is compatible with Convers+ and the Mondeo in the vid is an MC one which is reassuring.
Just need to find out if we can get Aus maps on it is all.

EDIT: They're able to ship to Aus and accept PayPal
Well found jayess. Looks to do everything it should.
Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
lotusproject

Originally Posted by jayess

Hi to anyone interested in retention of all Convers+ functions when fitting an aftermarket double din head unit to an MC Mondeo.
The functions which are normally lost are:
Parking sensor operation.
Tuned radio station, CD track info, aux track info.
These functions are "greyed out" in the centre display.
I have read the comments under the above youtube video and I still think there is some doubt about retention of all functions. The video shows that the the Covers+ functions are absolutely as per original Ford however, much of Covers+ in the MC is integral with the Sony head unit, so what have they done to incorporate the Sony functions into their unit? They will not answer this question directly.
Steering wheel control functionalty can be restored by fittng of a partiicular wiring harness, with the replacement head unit.
My advice from experienced installers here is that Convers+ will not work without the Sony.
Any thoughts/comments/ first hand experience anyone, please?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
Binny

I found that youtube video of it pretty underwhelming. It appears to be mostly stock Android in tablet mode which isn't exactly user friendly when you are driving. It looks fiddly, clunky and extremely laggy in response too. Imagine yourself trying to use this while you are driving.
At least the Eonon has an interface that has been designed for use in a car. But I wouldn't buy it either. I really haven't seen anything that ticks all the boxes yet.
I'm hoping that more aftermarket units start shipping with Android Auto in the near future.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
jayess
Starter Motor

Hey guys,

I finally gave in, took a gamble and bought the Eonon Head Unit (The D5162Z)

http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specifi...PS/D5162Z.html

I was pleasantly surprised by the unit. The Convers+ functions are mostly lost, but the unit does everything I need it to. I know everyone is uncertain as to what these units can and cannot do, so i'll try to cover everything.

General Comments:

Unit is decently responsive, doesn't lag too much, touch screen responds well and the interface looks decent and is easy to use. Screen brightness is ok, but can't stand up for direct sunlight.
What I found slightly annoying was the parking sensor noises are different (theres no longer different tones for front and rear, all the same)

Convers+ Functions:
Everything is mostly lost, only Radio and Aux Line In input sources can still be selected, but info isn't displayed on the convers+ unit. When you play music off the unit, Convers+ will just show CD Track 1 the whole time.
We also lose iPod integration sadly.

Phone:

You have to connect your phone through the Eonon's bluetooth unit. You can browse, search contacts and recents quite easily, but it does occasionally lag and you have to double or sometimes triple tap a name to call it. Call quality is good, I've had no complaints from anyone.
The bluetooth A2DP music streaming works quite well and the sound quality is nice.

GPS:

Eonon bundle Sygic maps with their units, but personally I'm not a fan of their interface. Instead I opted for iGo Primo off Ebay and the interface is really good. I can find destinations really easily and the map is pretty and easy on the eyes.
With regards to satellite reception, I mounted the antenna just above the unit and just under the centre air vents and I get quite good reception. Depending on the area, I normally pick up about 15 satellites and lock onto around 10.

Radio:

Not much to say here, easy to use interface, you can store favourites easily. Sound quality is just like the Sony unit. A small pain was that the Sony unit uses a dual Fakra antenna plug, but the Eonon unit uses a standard DIN, so you'll need a dual Fakra to DIN adaptor (might be worth pointing this out to Eonon if you get one).

SD:

This is what I mostly use for music. I like the interface, it shows all the info I need and the album artwork. I can easily shuffle and repeat songs at one touch. You can browse a list of songs quite easily by artist, track name etc...
You can also search for a specific song which is quite handy.

USB:

Pretty much same as SD, but SD card is tidier to use.

AVIN:

I haven't yet tried this yet, but I'm in the process of wiring an RCA to AUX cable to the original AUX port so my passengers can plug in their audio devices on roadtrips. You also can get RCA to iPod cables if you want, but I don't know how they'll turn out.

Installation:

It is very much plug and play, just take out the plug from the sony unit and plug it into the harness for the eonon unit, plug in the radio and gps antenna and you're good to go. Tools wise you'll need a T20 torx screwdriver and a trim remover tool. The cable management was a bit tricky, but a little patience and you'll be able to get through it.

Hope this helps anyone who's considering getting an aftermarket head unit and apologies for the huge block of text.
6 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2015, 02:50 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks very much for the review. Just a couple of questions - have you installed a reversing camera? And why did you choose this unit? Eonon's website isn't particularly informative!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:12 AM   #13
jayess
Starter Motor

Nah I haven't installed a reversing camera, I found I don't desperately need one.
I chose it cos it's reasonably priced compared to some other options out there. The shipping is really quick, it arrived in 2 business days and I was getting to the point where I really wanted an integrated sat nav.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
sailaway

Quote:
Nah I haven't installed a reversing camera, I found I don't desperately need one.
I chose it cos it's reasonably priced compared to some other options out there. The shipping is really quick, it arrived in 2 business days and I was getting to the point where I really wanted an integrated sat nav.
LOL I don't know whether to thank you or kick you. I had convinced myself I could do without a fancy head unit until your brilliant/informative post.

After seeing this instruction video I can understand the ease of installation but still would prefer someone else to do the cursing.
https://youtu.be/IB5vB6zdmAk

Pricing isn't too bad and I am very tempted.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
jayess
Starter Motor

Haha I know how you feel, I kept trying to ask myself, do I really need to get a better head unit. But I found I kept having to put up and take down a portable Garmin Sat Nav and that was the push that made me get it.

I found I don't miss the Convers+ functions THAT much, a lot of the stuff I used to do on the Convers+ screen, I can do on the head unit just as easily.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me. I'm based in Melbourne too.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #16
sailaway

Quote:
Haha I know how you feel, I kept trying to ask myself, do I really need to get a better head unit. But I found I kept having to put up and take down a portable Garmin Sat Nav and that was the push that made me get it.

I found I don't miss the Convers+ functions THAT much, a lot of the stuff I used to do on the Convers+ screen, I can do on the head unit just as easily.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me. I'm based in Melbourne too.
Ditto with my Garmin GPS but it normally stays on until it eventually falls off (About a week)and stays off until needed again. It's suction cap is on the plastic border on the left hand side of the current head unit.

Okay the start of my DUMB questions...

1. What does the Convers+ screen show on our present Sony Head Unit. LOL What is it used for?

2. They say it comes with either a black or grey surround. I guess that refers to the border around the buttons on each side of the unit does it?

3. Read the GPS map is circa 2013 and wondering how much? (If any) upgrades would be)

3. Dumbest question award winner for today - DVD movies will play whilst you are driving will they?

LOL Warned you they would be dumb and probably a couple more to come.

Have been on and off about buying one all day but it now boils down to what a sparky mate thinks of it after he has a read up on it tomorrow night and if he puts his hand up to help me install it. Could probably do it myself but these days need someone to fall back on. (Read: Pass the buck and blame)

Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 AM   #17
jayess
Starter Motor

Haha not dumb at all, happy to try my best to answer questions

1. So on the Sony Head Unit, we use the Convers+ screen to select input source (Radio, Aux, USB etc...) and the display shows the current song and we can select songs etc. We can do this on the Sony Head Unit too, but takes a lot longer to do and the dot matrix display isn't fun to look at lol. Basically with the head unit, these functions get transferred over to the new head unit.

2. Yeah that just refers to the border around the buttons and the screen. I got the black one so it matches my MC mondeo.

3. I didn't get the maps that Eonon offer, i got iGo Primo off a retailer on Ebay, theres a lot of them offering the Q3 2014 maps for about $60
I haven't looked into upgrading the maps yet, sorry :\

4. By default, DVD movies won't play while we're driving, but there's an option in the settings that will allow you to. It has a stern warning above it though haha, but the option is there for you.

Installation is super easy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwxrAr72RA

I watched that video to see where the clips where on the trim pieces
Once you get through the screws, its a direct fit plug and play and you're good to go

It can be a one person job, but I installed it with my friend who held the unit while I did cable management which was handy.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
sailaway

Would not mind a dollar for every change of mind I have had re this head unit.

Do I really need it? Yes/No and back and forth over and over from the wee hours to late at night.

I didn't take that long to decide to buy the Mondy. From not having any thought of changing cars and seeing the ad to buying would have been 2 hours maximum. (Including travel time.)

Afer looking at my existing Garmin GPS in situ I asked friend (Never ask a female boys questions) and she said why do I need it? I reply, "the GPS" you have one she counters. Listen to music I come back with. You guessed it, "You can do that now" she replies.

Okay I try by telling her I had decided to install a rear view camera but you have sensors beeping at you.

Mates love it and are ****ed they cannot find such good model for their vehicles. She convinced me around midnight last night not to buy it. (Read coerced with logic)

Thank God the sale ends 12th Oct and only have to resist for a short time more.
(Over)

Oops! Sorry about the size.

Anyway thanks for your assistance and back I go to the above with the Garmin GPS. Maybe

Old 09-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
lotusproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Would not mind a dollar for every change of mind I have had re this head unit.

Do I really need it? Yes/No and back and forth over and over from the wee hours to late at night.

I didn't take that long to decide to buy the Mondy. From not having any thought of changing cars and seeing the ad to buying would have been 2 hours maximum. (Including travel time.)

Afer looking at my existing Garmin GPS in situ I asked friend (Never ask a female boys questions) and she said why do I need it? I reply, "the GPS" you have one she counters. Listen to music I come back with. You guessed it, "You can do that now" she replies.

Okay I try by telling her I had decided to install a rear view camera but you have sensors beeping at you.

Mates love it and are ****ed they cannot find such good model for their vehicles. She convinced me around midnight last night not to buy it. (Read coerced with logic)

Thank God the sale ends 12th Oct and only have to resist for a short time more.
(Over)

Oops! Sorry about the size.

Anyway thanks for your assistance and back I go to the above with the Garmin GPS. Maybe
Good post Pete.
I don't think I am tempted any more. I had my fingers burnt with installation of another brand. Apart from significant problems with the unit itself, I completely lost the front and rear parking sensor beeps, some Convers+ functions did not display and the sat nav (popular brand) was inferior to Garmin. It was jerky and did not have decent saftey camera info.
I had it uninstalled and found it a pleasure to get back to the excellent integration of the Sony unit.
If these issues can be properly resolved in an aftermarket unit, I might be tempted again, as while I like the excellent operation of my Garmin, it does fall off from time to time and is unsightly wherever I put it.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #20
jayess
Starter Motor

Each to their own I guess haha

I went through many phases of yes and no before I got the unit. The push for me was having to take down my garmin at every rest stop on a road trip.

But that being said, theres nothing wrong with the stock Sony Unit and its proper integration with Convers+
Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Deo

Quote:
How have you attached the mount for that Garmin unit?

MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even more reasons to upgrade if you have a poverty pack Mondeo. Very, very tempted.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:05 PM   #23
jayess
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
Even more reasons to upgrade if you have a poverty pack Mondeo. Very, very tempted.
If you do decide to get one, let me know. Ill help out in any way I can
Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 AM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
sailaway

[QUOTE=Deo;5495195]How have you attached the mount for that Garmin unit?

On the glossy plastic frame that is either side of the Sony Head unit. It widens on the top and the suction cup just fits on.
http://i.imgur.com/oXKLhHt.jpg

If cleaned first with vinegar and water (Cup and plastic) it usually stays on for a couple of weeks. At least it doesn't have far to fall.

Another benefit apart from being in a good position to use it doesn't stand out like one on a windscreen. Far less noticeable from outside the vehicle.

Last edited by sailaway; 10-10-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #26
sailaway

Quote:
Thanks for that. Unless the sale gets even cheaper or I see one in action I doubt it.

Where are you in Melb??? Myself in the SE suburbs.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #27
Deo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
How have you attached the mount for that Garmin unit?
the suction cup just fits on.
Thanks. I'm keeping an eye out for a more robust solution for my phone than that, but still reversible ie without damaging the car.

MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Old 10-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
jayess
Starter Motor

Im in the NE suburbs Pete
Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #29
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
Thanks. I'm keeping an eye out for a more robust solution for my phone than that, but still reversible ie without damaging the car.

I reckon it is a robust enough position as well as being out of site and easily disconnected if not needed.

A better photo showing position...
http://imgur.com/8Ba8VOY

Old 11-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #30
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Bump this thread along again....

Curiosity got the better of me today when by chance seen this MC Mondeo Zetec for sale with a touch screen installed.

Went to check it out 'under cover' as such, I was not interested in the car only the ICE. Was for sale at a dealer and didn't want to be seen as wasting there time, even though I was!
Very nice interface and factory look.

Stole a couple of pics of the make, plus 3 yrs Aust Warranty!
http://aus-audio.com.au/

And the Convers+ screen. Looks as though it is missing some stuff?
Missing,
* CD
* Radio
* Auxiliary
* Phone

And separately, for those interested in the updated firmware Convers+ screen, it also looks like this has the 'Coolant Temp' permanently embedded to the left of the screen which is a great addition (would kill for this), plus a little red slider above the fuel bar.

Don't know what they are worth, but they certainly look great. The addition of inbuilt GPS is massive though.
Not sure if all the other features lost is worth it though?