Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Mugwump
Starter Motor

Default John Hughes - Car Dealer Perth Good?

Considering buying a mondeo through John Hughes online. Has anyone dealt with them? What was your experience like? would you reccommend? I am interstate and so dealing with them over the net/phone

any thoughts thanks

Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Most honest and fair dealer I ever dealt with and I have bought several cars from him over the years.
Old 17-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
marcusturbo

I agree. Good dealerships and the after care/service is pretty damn good as well.
Old 17-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Veefore

I was happy with the service and backup I got when I purchased a car from them.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also see:

http://www.newsdigitalmedia.com.au/m...year-announced
Old 17-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Mugwump
Starter Motor

Default Thanks for feedback

Thanks for feedback and local knowledge
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

you won't have any problems buying from John Hughes, he is one of the larger card dealers in Perth.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
bovva66

Park Ford in Bentley is part of John Hughes. Bought from them 18 months ago through a car broker. Got very good deal. Highly recommended.
Old 18-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep i bought a car off John hughes and i will buy again. he was in a different league to other dealers. Great experience and you WILL get looked after even after you sign on the line.

They even called 2 weeks later to see if everything was ok with the car!
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
mighty-mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovva66
Park Ford in Bentley is part of John Hughes. Bought from them 18 months ago through a car broker. Got very good deal. Highly recommended.

Car broker.......did they save you money or time or both? Any broker names you could reccommend in Perth?
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
bovva66

yes to both. broker found car, met with me at dealer, took me for a 45 minute test drive, then negoiated with dealer principle on my behalf for price. I did not need to talk or deal with dealer until I picked up car. Mike Lamont at WA Car Locater was superb.
Old 23-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
aaron24
Starter Motor

Default Re: John Hughes - Car Dealer Perth Good?

John Hughes is a grub, and nothing more. Stay well clear. He is widely regarding by the public in Perth, and certainly in automotive circles in Perth as being very shifty and dishonest. Don't believe all the saturation advertising. I'll certainly never spend another dollar there.
Old 18-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
CQB-241
Car tragic

Duplicate post

Last edited by CQB-241; 18-04-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Duplicate
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
CQB-241
Car tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron24 View Post
John Hughes is a grub, and nothing more. Stay well clear. He is widely regarding by the public in Perth, and certainly in automotive circles in Perth as being very shifty and dishonest. Don't believe all the saturation advertising. I'll certainly never spend another dollar there.
I say bull**** "Aaron24"! Work for the opposition?

Best new dealership I have ever dealt with and the ONLY Perth one who didn't try and screw me on a new performance Ford ....hence my first new purchase. HIGHLY regarded by anyone I know who has ever dealt with them. The first place I go to sell a second hand car for the last 13 years...pay the best for the dealers and are open about buying the best and selling the most rather than fat margins on fewer. Unless you can detail your issues I would call you out as being utterly full of it.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron24 View Post
It might be unpopular but I have to agree, it's always roses when buying a vehicle if you know the game, it's a completely different story if you don't or after sales support. Your mileage will vary.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I would not a buy a second hand car from him,a good mate of mine got a s/h car from him years ago and didnt have a very good run without going into detail,especially on aftersales service.
If its a new car go for it as long as you can claim warranty through a local dealer near you...
Just my experience, hope its some help to you.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #17
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no vested interest to bag this dealer ,nor am I a competitor ,.I tried to buy a G6ET from him back in 09 ,they had just got the car at a Ford dealers auction here in Sydney and had to ship it over to Perth,..the deal was done in an hour ( meaning they were saving the shipping costs )...initially the sales guy made all the right noises & price was negotiated down to been half ok,.. I don't recall his name ,he was brilliant to deal with ,however John Hughes's dum as dog5**t son then gets involved in the financing side of things and tries his best to recoup the negotiated discount,.. I churn the figures over in my head and tell him it wasn't happening ,I will finance the car myself, they then reneg on the deal , so I buy one locally the next day ,. the son then turns nasty and refuses to refund deposit and wants to hit me up for 5%.
his father John Hughes saw sense in the end and saved himself the embarrassment, but initially he took the hard line defending his idiot of a son ,thinking Id buckle ...not what I would call ethical people.

Last edited by nt0351; 25-04-2015 at 12:17 AM. Reason: grammar
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2015, 03:11 AM   #18
CQB-241
Car tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351 View Post
.....I tried to buy a G6ET from him back in 09 ,they had just got the car at a Ford dealers auction here in Sydney and had to ship it over to Perth,..the deal was done in an hour (meaning they were saving the shipping costs )...initially the sales guy made all the right noises & price was negotiated down to been half ok,.. I don't recall his name ,he was brilliant to deal with ,however John Hughes's *** ** ******* son then gets involved in the financing side of things and tries his best to recoup the negotiated discount,.. I churn the figures over in my head and tell him it wasn't happening ,I will finance the car myself, they then reneg on the deal , so I buy one locally the next day ,. the son then turns nasty and refuses to refund deposit and wants to hit me up for 5%.
his father John Hughes saw sense in the end and saved himself the embarrassment, but initially he took the hard line defending his ***** of a son, thinking Id buckle....
Can understand your frustration if you had that experience. Does sound like the boss ultimately defused the situation. My dealings with them over the last 13 years as a private seller (4 cars) have been excellent and I know several others with similar experiences. My first experience as a buyer (FGX XR8) resulted in a fair deal, met the man himself who congratulated me getting the first FGX they sold and first-rate communication from the sales staff ever since.
Old 25-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB-241 View Post
Can understand your frustration if you had that experience. Does sound like the boss ultimately defused the situation. My dealings with them over the last 13 years as a private seller (4 cars) have been excellent and I know several others with similar experiences. My first experience as a buyer (FGX XR8) resulted in a fair deal, met the man himself who congratulated me getting the first FGX they sold and first-rate communication from the sales staff ever since.
in the circumstance his son put him in Id say he had little choice ,...do you think its ethical after a deposit has been accepted to be told you have no deal ,we aren't obliged to sell you the car because the sales manager has not signed the contract ,.and in the next breath be saying we will pursue you for breach of contract, ? all because he cant or wont match a comparable rate on the finance , wtf is that ?? he was acting like he had the only one in captivity and if I wanted it , it would be on his terms ..sure they were a bit thin on the ground at that time , found one locally ,lower klms at the same money the very next day
showmanship and follow up calls is all good and well ,..its how they react when things don't go their way that counts
Old 25-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #20
Kempe

Interesting if rather long read on Whirlpool about JH

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=2124332
Kempe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I suggest that if anyone has and issue with a deal or car that have bought from JH try to see him personally before seeing Fair Trading or your lawyer (you may be asked to come see him on a Sunday when he has more time) . My experience is that he does really care about fairness and is very jealous of his mostly good reputation and that a personal approach will give a positive result.

In fact he can be very generous in hardship cases - a lady I know bought a second car from him that turned out to be a lemon. When she approached JH also explaining that she was a single mum with children and that she couldn't afford to buy another car, the instalments on the existing car were all her budget allowed and she needed a reliable car to get to work and get her kids to day care he gave her a brand new car (no not another secondhand one). Admittedly she was someone in adverse circumstances doing everything to help herself and was the sort of person who may have garnered his respect.

Talking to some retired car dealers principals I know some almost hate him although they albeit begrudgingly respect his ethics; he can be ruthless with competitors and his buying power makes it difficult for some smaller dealers to compete on price. He is also very personable which I guess makes him a good salesman. I have dealt with him on some other issues (charity related) and he can say "no" and have you go away not feeling rejected.
Old 26-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #22
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

The salesperson that you speak to is the 'public face' of the business, and so much depends on how you the customer are treated. This affects the reputation of the whole business (see tales of woe above...).
We all have interesting tales to tell.
As aussieblue says, if having problems with sales people, take it up the line. And if still unhappy, consider consumer protection laws.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
xr6donut

As a ex salesman...i can tell you...he runs the joint like hitler...staff meetings/training everyday...sell your quota or your gone...your more like a actor than a order taker....they must close every deal...they are nice to your face..(acting)...but they are there to make big bucks off you....he did not get to be a billionare and own a lot of car yards being mister nice...if you get a good deal,great...but be wary as with all car yards....................
xr6donut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

See https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...proved-broker/ His son's, Jeremy, Finance Company in trouble again.

Quote:
The corporate regulator has banned a fifth former broker of a Victoria Park car loan brokerage accused of deceiving customers and a financier.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission is investigating Get Approved Finance over the conduct of its brokers towards vulnerable clients with poor credit histories

ASIC said today it had permanently banned Grant Aaron Parker from engaging in credit activities and providing financial services.

The regulator said it found that Mr Parker, of Alfred Cove, engaged in misleading conduct when brokering motor vehicle financing for four clients in 2012.

At the time, Mr Parker was employed as a finance broker for Get Approved in Victoria Park.

ASIC said Mr Parker misled vulnerable clients with poor credit histories to believe they would be approved for vehicle finance if their loan applications were supported by guarantors. Mr Parker then dishonestly prepared loan applications solely in the names of the proposed guarantors without those persons' knowledge or consent.

ASIC also found Mr Parker facilitated the issuing of financial products in his clients’ name and inflated loan amounts by selling and financing insurance and warranty products without his clients’ knowledge or consent.

ASIC deputy chairman Peter Kell said the banning reinforced the strong message to any broker considering engaging in misleading conduct.

“ASIC will not hesitate to permanently remove those who engage in misleading conduct from the industry,” Mr Kell said.

Mr Parker can appeal ASIC’s ban before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

Get Approved was the trading name of finance broker Jeremy (WA) Pty Ltd and operated under its credit licence.

Mr Parker is the fifth broker from Get Approved to be banned by ASIC.

Last July Eric-John Pryor and Lachlan McDonald were permanently banned from engaging in credit activities or providing any financial services for similar conduct while arranging vehicle finance for clients. In December Rana Hepi was rubbed out for eight years and last month Julie Vanzyl was permanently banned.

In October Esanda agreed to compensate more than 70 borrowers for car loans organised by Get Approved, totalling more than $1.38 million.

ASIC said today that this had resulted in the total benefit including refunds of more than $570,000 to about 60 per cent of the borrowers, with the remaining borrowers at various stages of the remediation process.

ASIC said its investigation into the conduct of Get Approved and Esanda was ongoing.

The alleged misconduct occurred when Get Approved was operated by Jeremy (WA) Pty Ltd. Jeremy Hughes was a director of Jeremy (WA) from 2007 to May 2014.

Mr Hughes’ father, car dealer John Hughes, took over Get Approved through his company JHG Financial Services in May last year.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:25 AM   #25
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't have a good experience with John Hughes. I bought my Fairmont from them all those years back, and had the car serviced with them once ... never again.

I've also been car shopping in the past and stumbled into the Park Ford dealer to have a look at the Ecoboost Falcons when they were new. Salesperson was extremely pushy; despite having told him that I was still considering it, he got me into the office after the test drive and started writing out the contract. "What can I do to make you sign today?" I'll sign when I'm bloody well ready, damn it.

I guess it depends on the salesperson you get to deal with. Buying online might cut out some of the crap that walk-in customers have to put up with, though.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
See https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...proved-broker/ His son's, Jeremy, Finance Company in trouble again.

its obvious the son is a tool and has caused his old man a heap of grief as i said in the above post ,everything was sweet till that **** got involved
This user likes this post: