Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving at night.

It seems lately that every time I drive at night, I see a motorist without their headlights on. Either that, or they only have those smaller fog light style ones turned on giving them the impression they do have their headlights on. I stopped flashing them with my hi beams a long time ago. It rarely works it seems, and just confuses them more. The cars my wife and I drive require the operator to manually turn the headlights on and off. An alarm sounds if you take the keys out with lights on, that's the extent of the technology. Do newer cars not turn lights off & on with sensors?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving at night.

The other night I followed a near-new X5 through the M5 tunnel, and it wasn't until KIng Georges Road he finally realised he didn't have his lights on.

The cluster - being some sort of LCD display was the only thing lit up in the vehicle.

As you come out of the tunnel, there's not a lot of light - and it's almost pitch black as you get to the 100 signs near K/G rd. It was only by then he'd realised.

I was beside him when he finally switched them on, and the amibient lighting lit up the cabin like a christmas tree. Surely even that would have been noticeable?

And why doesn't the X5 have auto lights? Even an 11 year old base model VE Commodore has auto lights that you have to physically disable (and they revert to auto every ignition cycle). The local Fords, and many Toyotas, have given people the switched option for auto lights for over a decade.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
....An alarm sounds if you take the keys out with lights on, that's the extent of the technology.
......luxury! way to high tech for my car

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11466508

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not only the ones who drive with their lights off in built-up areas at night, but more of the ones who drive with fog lights and light bars on in country areas, oblivious to the problems they are causing to oncoming cars.
This is another example of tech taking over basic function requirements of the driver.
I don’t use auto headlight setting …… I was born with the amazing ability to know if it was daylight or dark.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dash speedo is lit at all times and when you put the lights on the speedo lights dim by half.

If you leave the auto lights on they will come on in a tunnel day or night.

Maybe people are leaving their fairy lights on 24/7 and just forget.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
......luxury! way to high tech for my car

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11466508
Even though I made a comment on that post, I don't remember it. Apologies to all.

Oh yeah, the list of driver aids & safety options on these babies is endless. High tech all the way.. Ira's post reminded me of another issue which is vehicle's carrying loads which cause the rear to sag, raising the headlights to eye height rather than at the road. Combined with those over priced 'white light' globes and a driver can easily find themselves completely blinded for a few seconds. Very scary at speed, especially on unfamiliar roads. I am really surprised that this doesn't seem to be an issue and I would be interested to see if any accidents have been caused by this. The retina in the eye is damaged by white light when exposed to it, which explains the blinding effect even when looking down at the road. There are study's into this showing how the eye reacts to different light and after reading it, I am amazed that they are allowed for use on the roads. For anyone interested, here is a link. http://www.lightmare.org/effect_on_vision.htm

Last edited by au350hp; 14-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 14-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
The other night I followed a near-new X5 through the M5 tunnel, and it wasn't until KIng Georges Road he finally realised he didn't have his lights on.

The cluster - being some sort of LCD display was the only thing lit up in the vehicle.

As you come out of the tunnel, there's not a lot of light - and it's almost pitch black as you get to the 100 signs near K/G rd. It was only by then he'd realised.

I was beside him when he finally switched them on, and the amibient lighting lit up the cabin like a christmas tree. Surely even that would have been noticeable?

And why doesn't the X5 have auto lights? Even an 11 year old base model VE Commodore has auto lights that you have to physically disable (and they revert to auto every ignition cycle). The local Fords, and many Toyotas, have given people the switched option for auto lights for over a decade.
Owning a car with autolights myself, it takes away the thought of needing to turn them on. (like so many automated things)
New displays also take away the indicator that the lights need to be on.

When my car gets serviced they always turn off the autolights, gets me every time.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I think the separation of the lighting system between the dashboard and the external lighting in later model cars has caused the problem, where the driver thinks their lights are on because the dash lights are on..

Why don't road safety authorities make it mandatory to at least have a warning system to alert the driver that the headlights are not on, or better still turn them on automatically when the engine is on, regardless of the light switch position?

Such a basic and simple safety requirement that has seemed to have got lost somewhere in the world of high tech 'safety' features that are currently being heavily promoted.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

The thing that annoys me most is poorly adjusted headlights and drivers that leave their foglights/driving lights on when you're passing them. There seem to be a lot of knobheads driving around in modern mid-sized SUV type things that don't seem to realise they're not supposed to drive with foglights on when it isn't foggy.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a Ford Ranger. Its almost like having no headlights.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
The thing that annoys me most is poorly adjusted headlights and drivers that leave their foglights/driving lights on when you're passing them. There seem to be a lot of knobheads driving around in modern mid-sized SUV type things that don't seem to realise they're not supposed to drive with foglights on when it isn't foggy.
A truck with a bullbar full of 150w hid's sorts those idiots out.

You want to try and blind me with glare...here, cop this!

I'm so over it I don't care anymore, if they have no respect for their fellow travellers then they suffer the consequences.
Same with those who convert to bright globes or hid's in normal housings. They wear it too.

Selfish, nothing more.

Wapol had a blitz on foglights a couple of years ago and next day the talkback radio lit up with complaints about getting tickets. Too stupid to understand it's illegal.
I wish they would do it again.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes interesting one: In your case SA has the highest fine
https://www.motoring.com.au/when-sho...lights-108269/

Personally they don't bother me, factory fitting ones that is. This law was probably designed when people were fitting 100W aftermarket lights.

plus I have anti glare rear view mirror
Old 14-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Wapol had a blitz on foglights a couple of years ago and next day the talkback radio lit up with complaints about getting tickets. Too stupid to understand it's illegal.
I wish they would do it again.
The best we seem to get in NSW is the occasional warning on the electronic signs.
I know of only 2 people pulled up about it - one was a warning at an RBT, and the other was a fine (if he wasn't a smart-*** he probably would have escaped with a warning).

But it's pretty sad when even some of the local cop cars drive around with them on. Not a good example to others doing the wrong thing.
Old 14-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The best we seem to get in NSW is the occasional warning on the electronic signs.
I know of only 2 people pulled up about it - one was a warning at an RBT, and the other was a fine (if he wasn't a smart-*** he probably would have escaped with a warning).

But it's pretty sad when even some of the local cop cars drive around with them on. Not a good example to others doing the wrong thing.
Damn, coppers doing it too?

They never used to bother me much until one night when I was driving a hire car on the mornington peninsula in Melbourne. I was nearly cleaned up at a roundabout when a car had it's foggies on and it obscured his indicator.

Have a look next time you know a car is in that configuration, the indicators essentially become invisible.
Then there's the nuff-nuffs who refuse to dip their high beams, this is becoming more prevalent here.

In the bush at night it's just general glare that is much worse without ambient lighting to tame it.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 14-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Drivers are getting dumber and lazy.

I too have stopped flashing people. It is so simple yet they can't/don't do it.
It is kind of scary
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #16
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I recall hearing it is an offence to drive at night with the secondary lights on with the main headlights? Anybody confirm this?
And whilst I am whinging, I live a street down from a road that has bus services and every so & so takes up every bit of a kerb in the name of not walking an extra few meters by parking safely a little further away. Picture trying to turn out of a street where you are facing uphill at a T intersection and the cars are parked so close to both sides of the kerb corner, you have to nose out into the middle of the road blindly, an inch at a time in case of a speeding motorist or somebody sending a txt comes through, as they would not be expecting a driver to be hindered by parked cars. There used to be parking on both sides of the street until a ZG Fairlane took out a Domino's Pizza 4cyl, but they can still park on one side. Maybe I should 'move' a No Standing sign....
Old 14-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I recall hearing it is an offence to drive at night with the secondary lights on with the main headlights? Anybody confirm this?
It's been a no-no for quite a few years.

Fog lights
A driver is only permitted to use fog lights if driving in fog, mist or other atmospheric condition that restricts visibility.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ts-general.pdf
Rule 218-1 (a) Use fog light when not permitted 2 $110
Rule 218-1 (b) Unlawful use of spot/search lamp 2 $110
Rule 218-1 (c) Unlawful use of additional headlamps 2 $110
Rule 218-1 (e) Use other lights not as prescribed 2 $110
Old 14-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #18
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it's probably always foggy inside their heads
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #19
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is always set to auto. That way, people don't have to remember to turn them on. Most modern cars have automatic headlights, yet it beggars belief that people still "forget" to turn them on. Just leave them on auto. Done.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #20
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
It's been a no-no for quite a few years.

Fog lights
A driver is only permitted to use fog lights if driving in fog, mist or other atmospheric condition that restricts visibility.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ts-general.pdf
Rule 218-1 (a) Use fog light when not permitted 2 $110
Rule 218-1 (b) Unlawful use of spot/search lamp 2 $110
Rule 218-1 (c) Unlawful use of additional headlamps 2 $110
Rule 218-1 (e) Use other lights not as prescribed 2 $110
Thks GasOlane. I am amazed the police don't use the part C law, additional headlamps when it is now so common.
Old 14-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thks GasOlane. Am I correct in assuming all of the secondary lights, like the B series & so many SUV's, are classified as 'fog light's?
Yep. Although these days with LED's it's often hard to distinguish between 'fog lights' and overly bright parkers.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #22
Lunch
Wait, what?

I paid good money for a model with extra lights at the front of my car, I’m gunna use them whenever I feel like it, especially given the fact that all 4x4s, SUVs and trucks, basically every vehicle that’s not a standard height passenger vehicle has headlights at almost perfect eye height and some of them have up to 6 lights from factory, since I upgraded my factory bulbs I get flashed maybe 1ce every few months cos I’m blinding someone but I drive a single lane road to and from work, divided only by double white lines for most of it, against the flow of traffic, I’m blinded the whole way by cars with or without their secondary lights on and you can always count on there being 1 muppet with his high beams on everyday, ain’t none of them concerned for my safety, I just watch the outside white line when it gets too bright, I got flashed by an SUV with half a dozen lights on the front of his car this morning, you’re dreaming if you think I’m turning my spottys off, when the design of your car has zero regard for people driving towards you! why should I drive with 1/4 less illumination especially when the road has at least 1 new roo roadkill per week.

Last edited by Lunch; 15-02-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Lunch is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #23
lovford
Banned

The led driving lights (not fog lights) come on when ever the car is on. Maybe this makes them think there head lights are on when in actual fact there not.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #24
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I can just tell when my lights are off and I turn them on.

I'm an unusual man though.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 02:38 AM   #25
lovford
Banned

I was ****ed as a fart once pulling out of a bottle o and the coppers told me to turn my lights on. I was also ****ed as a fart as I drove past a breathalyser on the opposite side of the road while I went to the servo with no licence for sigs. On my way back I totally forgot they were there and got waved through. They were the times I didn't get caught. Im glad to say after a few convictions, I have learnt my lesson and don't drink and drive ever anymore.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 04:48 AM   #26
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Every time I drive at night here in Perth I experience other cars with faulty or incorrectly adjusted headlights. The percentage is alarmingly high, and the only thing currently improving it seems to be new car sales (and older cars coming off the road).
WA is without scheduled vehicle inspections, and that definitively does not help the situation. The only thing I can think of to improve this would be for DOT to make it mandatory by regulations that all licenced mechanics and workshops should also check headlight adjustments while doing any other work, such as oil changes and tyre fitting.
If WA had vehicle inspections this would have corrected some of it, then at least every few years all cars would have been up to standard. Currently I would estimate that at least every 1 of 5 vehicles in Perth are having faults with their lighting in one way or the other. Incorrect usage such as having fog lights on at all times is also annoying, but should be a matter for the traffic police to pull over and have a chat with them.
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #27
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSw has annual inspections, and nobody checks the headlight aim. I've seen numerous cars on our fleet come back from smash repairs with headlight aim all over the shop - that's probably another major cause.

I remember in Fiji in 1991 there was a sign in a servo in Suva that said "free headlight check" and they did a proper aiming job (with the machine) while you got fuel. Now that's full service.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #28
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP - funny you mention that.. I too have been seeing a heap of people driving at night with no headlights on, blissfully unaware.. its nut... I even had a Cab , with passengers in it, drive (for those who know Brisbane) Through the Airport Link, Clem 7 Tunnel's and down Ipswich Road to Moorooka (so a fair distance) at 11:30pm without headlights on.. And when I put my window down at a set of lights to let him know, he just totally ignored me...

Is it not common sense to check they are on? Both my Cars have Auto Headlights (in the Commodore the Switch Actually defaults to Auto and you physically have to Turn the Auto lights off) but I still check to ensure they are on.

Also agree about Headlights that aren't adjusted properly, HATE getting blinded by some nitwit who's Lights are too high... My Jeep (and my old Mazda 6) both have Auto Levelling lights which is a handy feature to have....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NSw has annual inspections, and nobody checks the headlight aim. I've seen numerous cars on our fleet come back from smash repairs with headlight aim all over the shop - that's probably another major cause.

I remember in Fiji in 1991 there was a sign in a servo in Suva that said "free headlight check" and they did a proper aiming job (with the machine) while you got fuel. Now that's full service.
My Volvo has a great solution.
Electrically adjustable. It's great, throw a couple of adults in the back seat, aim them down, car is empty push them back up. Drive down a country rd at 3am and set it to the highest position for better penetration. In the city have them on the lowest position.

All done with a dial on the dash.

Simples.

XC Cobra #181.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #30
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auto leveling lights is a great feature. or self leveling suspension plenty of Caravaners out there unknowingly blinding people
3 users like this post: