Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
lari1eye

Question GM to close Sth Korean Gunsan Plant.

With all the excitement of the Winter Olympics, GM international boss has announced the closure of one of four GM Korea manufacturing plants at Gunsan. GM Korea make the... Barina, Spark, and Trax.. for Holden Oz market. This plant makes about 260,000 vehicles per year.
The other three car plants are also in doubt.

Reuters 16 2 18
In what they thought were meet-and-greet introductions, senior officials agreed to work with the global automaker on problems at GM Korea, according to South Korean officials with direct knowledge of the meetings.

Last week, Barry Engle, GM's International Operations Manager, made another visit, meeting with the head of state-run Korea Development Bank, which owns 17 percent of GM Korea. Bank and government officials said Engle asked for financial support and in return, KDB suggested an audit before it would consider committing any fresh funding.

South Korea officials said they left reassured they were making progress working through issues, albeit slowly.

Then came the bombshell.

On Tuesday morning, GM announced it would shut its Gunsan plant, which employs 2,000, and decide the future of the remaining three other Korean plants within weeks.

“GM only talked about the difficult situation they were in, and asked for our help, but did not say a word about the closure before. It was a shock to us,” a South Korean government official said.

The discord and lack of communications point to rocky negotiations ahead as South Korea seeks to prevent further job losses and provide support for a critical part of its manufacturing sector while avoiding criticism for spending tax payers’ money to support private industry.
lari1eye is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: GM to close Sth Korean Gunsan Plant.

Welcome to GM tactics.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Do you suppose it is a Chinese concession?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
lari1eye

Sure looks like some sort of concession. If Korean factories are losing money for GM, they go the same way as Holden, Opel etc.
The number of vehicles sold on China is incredible.
In 2017, China’s total vehicle sales increased 3.0% Year on Year to.. 28.9 million units, whereas US auto sales fell ~1.8% YoY to 17.2 million vehicles last year.
And Shanghai-GM joint venture, with just over 4 million sales, is fourth in the Chinese market behind VW, Toyota and Honda.
Old 18-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

The Chinese have always loved the Buick.

I wonder if China made some offer to GM in the smoke filled back rooms?

How is Ford sales there?
Old 18-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
The Chinese have always loved the Buick.

I wonder if China made some offer to GM in the smoke filled back rooms?

How is Ford sales there?
They dropped by 18% in January.They are having problems @ the moment in China(which is the worlds biggest market.)Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

So Holden’s will come from China eventually?
Old 18-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post

They dropped by 18% in January.They are having problems @ the moment in China(which is the worlds biggest market.)Cheers
They may need to figure out what is going on there.

I wonder if China doesn't like the Thailand operation?
Old 18-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
lari1eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
Last year when Ford closed their Australian factories, they said there would be 20 new models coming by 2020.
Then Holden said they would have ...25... new models coming by 2020.
Maybe this is where they will be coming from.
Just like our phones, clothes, car parts..etc
Old 18-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Phones, clothes, car parts. Hmmmmm? Portent of things to come.

What do most do these days when a phone or a piece of clothing needs repair?

What a second, I can't find the word repair in the dictionary anymore.

Car parts from China? That gets it's own story.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
Vormund

GM is probably going to only exist in China and the US at rate they are going.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not surprised.
Very good discipline and quality, however anyone in the corporate world understands where Sth Korea sits re global labour costs - where even the USA is cheaper

Last edited by 383hq; 18-02-2018 at 12:34 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
They may need to figure out what is going on there.

I wonder if China doesn't like the Thailand operation?
Ford pulled out of Japan a few years back,they didn’t want the things it seems.Hardly any(I did not see any) on the roads in Tokyo.Lots of “Kei” class cars & heaps of Priuses & lots of imported exotic stuff.Cheers
Old 18-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM couldn't run a chook raffle. Chinese Holdens are coming, the quality can't be any worse than they are now.
Out of our 4 work cruzes, one boiled dry due to a coolant line being made of cheese and dumping the coolant, I've checked the others, and caught 2 before they overheated, booked them in for repair,these are only 2 years old BTW.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of other GM Global plants in many other low cost countries. Unlikely cars will come from China for some time yet. Recently launched Equinox comes from Mexico, and things like the Astra come from Poland or some other Eastern Euro country.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
d@rk51d3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post

I'm led to believe they were already pretty much assembled here with imported chinese parts
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #17
sr71

I was on a 70000 m2 job site 15 years ago. Requiring a large number of of Welders. The local Boilermakers had welds that weren't passing inspection. Next thing, in come the Korean Boilermakers, with the reputation of being the best Pipe Welders in our country. Their was huge pride over their work. Just like a Miami Engine Builder thread, it made me question why other areas didn't have the same work ethic.
This seems like an unfair business decision, lacking respect to the workers who did their job with pride. Sounds familiar doesn't it...
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

GM basically have had no plan whatsoever for about a decade.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #19
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post

Having many friends in China (I work there maybe 10 weeks per year) the reputation of the Fords for Quality is above locally made GM and even Toyota.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #20
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Having many friends in China (I work there maybe 10 weeks per year) the reputation of the Fords for Quality is above locally made GM and even Toyota.
Wow, how did Ford pull that one off . I'm a Ford fanatic, and dislike Toyotas , but will be the first to begrudgingly concede that Ford product is not as well engineered or durable as Toyota.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Maybe so,but as I alluded to they have tried to reverse their struggling sales,but they have actually gone down by a massive 18% while their competitors are steaming ahead.They have a lot of work to do in China it seems.They pulled out of Japan quite awhile ago(they were on the nose there.) I never saw a Ford on the road in Tokyo or Kyoto.Cheers
Old 20-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #22
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Wow, how did Ford pull that one off . I'm a Ford fanatic, and dislike Toyotas , but will be the first to begrudgingly concede that Ford product is not as well engineered or durable as Toyota.
To Quote one colleague "the steel is thicker, and they develop less rattles".

Sorry, I can only quote opinion, I got no science
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #23
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at early on Japanese fare even before Korean cars were even thought of . Pretty ordinary by any standard . Once Toyota started building some okay stuff we saw by the mid 1970's some much better cars from them , Datsun/Nissan (240K as example), Mazda RX series , Honda Civic and Accord etc. Early Korean fare from Kia e.g Rio were cheap nasty trash , so were a lot of Hyundai's at the time. Before long though both are building some much better stuff like Sportage, Cerato and Elantra ,Tucson etc and and are probably meeting market demand in many ways today with current stuff.
India with Tata and Mahindra etc building crap but supposedly improving so it's inevitable why China won't get better too given it's manufacturing might. Case of have to because if you don't build decent cars now , the market will eat you up.
China are copycats in many ways but if they take the best of manufacturing methods they will become huge in car manufacturing probably even quicker than Japan and Korea.

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-02-2018 at 09:22 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2018, 03:39 AM   #24
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Look at early on Japanese fare even before Korean cars were even thought of . Pretty ordinary by any standard . Once Toyota started building some okay stuff we saw by the mid 1970's some much better cars from them , Datsun/Nissan (240K as example), Mazda RX series , Honda Civic and Accord etc. Early Korean fare from Kia e.g Rio were cheap nasty trash , so were a lot of Hyundai's at the time. Before long though both are building some much better stuff like Sportage, Cerato and Elantra ,Tucson etc and and are probably meeting market demand in many ways today with current stuff.
India with Tata and Mahindra etc building crap but supposedly improving so it's inevitable why China won't get better too given it's manufacturing might. Case of have to because if you don't build decent cars now , the market will eat you up.
China are copycats in many ways but if they take the best of manufacturing methods they will become huge in car manufacturing probably even quicker than Japan and Korea.
Roddy, just a friendly tip. When reading through threads I must admit that often I just totally skip past your replies without reading them due to it just being a big wall of text. If you break up your replies into smaller paragraphs it’s much easier to read.

Often you post replies worth reading and it’s a shame to just skip past it all!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #25
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Roddy, just a friendly tip. When reading through threads I must admit that often I just totally skip past your replies without reading them due to it just being a big wall of text. If you break up your replies into smaller paragraphs it’s much easier to read.

Often you post replies worth reading and it’s a shame to just skip past it all!
Thanks ..I get it , fair enough I suppose. . Was critisized about that once before . Maybe falling back into old habits but I try to paragraph replies these days sometimes though I don't and I'm certainly no literary genius . Sorry you see it that way..

There is more than just me on here that do the same if you look . Maybe you notice mine because I try to engage in numerous threads if I can.

Will try harder.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #26
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I have two Kia's these days. Some electrical stuff is a little dodgy. The actual welding etc is top notch. Interiors are reasonable.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post