Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 19-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default GPS tracking

GPS tracking devices can (I believe) be fitted to commercial vehicles so management can see where their vehicles are.... can they also be fitted legally to private cars... for tracking the kids movements.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: GPS tracking

Yes, they can and are even sold as apps for phones.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

err apps wont wok...dont want them to know we are watching them/her...we have a daughter on medication for depression and when with us would be happier keeping tabs where she could drive too..if you get my meaning.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
err apps wont wok...dont want them to know we are watching them/her...we have a daughter on medication for depression and when with us would be happier keeping tabs where she could drive too..if you get my meaning.
The app is for the person doing the tracking, not the person who's being tracked.

How old is your daughter? If she is old enough to drive, chances are she is old enough to expect her privacy which should exclude being GPS tracked by her parents without her consent. What you're intending on doing sounds wrong.

This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Understood.

I wonder if there may be a way to use something like the Lojack (sp) system?
Old 19-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
The app is for the person doing the tracking, not the person who's being tracked.

How old is your daughter? If she is old enough to drive, chances are she is old enough to expect her privacy which should exclude being GPS tracked by her parents without her consent. What you're intending on doing sounds wrong.
In this case, then I might consult the doctor about any possible legal paperwork.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I know you mean well but if your daughter has mental health issues, I'm sure she would respect you more if you were upfront with her about it and didn't track her without her knowledge.

I know I would be upset if I found out I was being tracked by my folks, even if they had the best intentions.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
In this case, then I might consult the doctor about any possible legal paperwork.
There is no legal paperwork unless she's committed or has a legal guardian, as far as i know. She's an adult, she has an expectation of privacy that is granted to her by law. Even if she intends to drive her car over a cliff, you can't track her even if your skewed intentions are to try and save her life.
Disclaimer: i am not a lawyer

Old 19-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I know you mean well but if your daughter has mental health issues, I'm sure she would respect you more if you were upfront with her about it and didn't track her without her knowledge.

I know I would be upset if I found out I was being tracked by my folks, even if they had the best intentions.
Yeah, what you say is probably correct.

Now that you say that, I have heard of situations where some has asked for this type of tracking.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
There is no legal paperwork unless she's committed or has a legal guardian, as far as i know. She's an adult, she has an expectation of privacy that is granted to her by law. Even if she intends to drive her car over a cliff, you can't track her even if your skewed intentions are to try and save her life.
Disclaimer: i am not a lawyer
There was a time when one could be pretty sure of what was and what wasn't legal/illegal when it come to privacy here in the land of the free.

I think your reference to approaching a lawyer would be best from a legal stand point.

JD makes a good point that goes beyond law.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
JD makes a good point that goes beyond law.
I didn't think it needed mentioning as it's pretty obvious that the daughter will likely lose all respect for her parents if/when she finds out. How Tonz can feel otherwise is beyond me, but it's crossing a line. If it were me, I'd push them out of my life, that **** is not okay.

Edit: Another post of yours says your two daughters are in their 30s with families of their own. Why are you trying to track one of them?

Last edited by leesa; 19-02-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Old 19-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

1. You are confusing me with the OP.

2. I offered the OP some technical information.

3. What is obvious to someone who is not is the situation where a daughter wants to commit suicide may not be the primary consideration of an adult trying to save the daughter. Speaking from experience. A daughter who is made at me and has lost respect of me is a better situation than a daughter that is no more.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I appreciate most of the comments posted here, I was asking simply if GPS tracking is legal or not.

Believe me we do not need you doo gooders pratling on about legalities or not, we have been dragged to hell and back and back again, there is only so much as parents we can take without throwing in the bloody towel and supposedly not caring..
Thank you all but get stuffed
Old 19-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Alright mate, you can get stuffed too then I guess.

All the best.

- J.D.
Old 19-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Is the car your daughter drives yours?
If so there's nothing you can't do/install in YOUR Car!!!
Old 19-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm interested in this from a different perspective - for a senior relative who can end up taking a wrong turn, and is incapable of finding his way back out to where he was.

Several times I've had to get him to drive to a street sign & ring me with where he is, then describe how to get out of a convoluted housing estate by following his progress on google maps.

He has a GPS, but won't use it. He has bluetooth, but won't use it - preferring to stop and call, then proceed after the call.

We recently bought a bluetooth tracker (tile) for his wallet, after he lost it at home for 2 weeks, and got another tile for his keys as well.

We were only talking about it yesterday that he'd happily have GPS tracking in the car (his own car) that I can access to help him out when needed.

We've only lost him once - he was supposed to drive to the doctor, and ended up somewhere else. He didn't have his phone to call, so he sat in the car working out what to do when a friend of ours saw him, had a chat, and then rang us. He's still good with driving - comfortably following road rules, doing the speed limit, avoiding hazards etc, just occasionally not so good at remembering where he's going, or why he's going there. Usually there's a relative to help him, but on some occasions he wants to take himself, or there's nobody available.

So there are situations where tracking someone may be beneficial - and acceptable to all parties.

Depending on how Tonz's daughter feels about it, maybe the way to approach it is to bring up a past incident where things beyond her control caused an issue where tracking would have been helpful, and see if she can see the positive side to it.

GPS tracked fleets generally have an open-info policy where employees are told the vehicle is tracked (usually for commercial/running efficiency reasons - rarely for driver behavior unless they cause suspicion).

If it's Tonz's car, then he should he able to install whatever he wants, and it's up to him if he tells her or not. Installing it in her own car on the sly will only end in tears - no matter how well-intentioned it is.
Old 19-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your the owner of the car I'm sure you could put a track in, a lot run off a SIM card.

If your not the owner of the car, well that's another story which I don't have an answer for.

There are a few out there that are small and can fit under carpet pretty easily or the boot under a spare tyre.
Old 19-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are legal devises on the market that my family slightly looked at but that's about it as my father has dementia so if he was to get lost or something
you can now get trackers in bracelets necklaces and watches and they can have panic buttons too

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 19-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of well priced options

I'm looking at something like this for my son

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/173165145035

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 19-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mate someone prepared to answer my q rather than get on their high bloody horses about morals and crap.

Unless the knobs have been in our position they are talking yapping B.S.

Admin please close this thread.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Closed as requested.
Closed Thread