Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Should I buy...

Hi guys,

My neighbour is trying to get rid of his VE SV6 6 speed manual, green. Stock as a rock.

He got given it for $2500 from a friend who was trying to give my neighbours a financial leg up.

But the car has a few problems... Passenger front quarter has been replaced due to some previous damage but it's in undercoat. The biggest issue though is that the gearbox has a weird issue, they've described it as a slip. As in it drives normally, but then randomly it will feel like it goes out of gear, but then it feels like it re-engages.

I'm no Holden guy but IF the gearbox is not much of an issue, and I can relatively easily repair it, it would be a really good buy to then flog off.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

Thanks guys

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Should I buy...

Is this the model with the timing chain stretch issues ?. Some Alloytec engines had issues I believe. Have no idea about the gearbox stuff but I have a 1984 Honda Accord too that I bought as a runaround late in 2016 off a bloke who owned a VE SS and a VE V6 that his wife drove .

He said since he'd had the V6 he'd done the chain twice that tends to stretch . Don't know if you could check for that too before you buy . The VE isn't a bad looker though and I think that otherwise they drive really well ..

Have a quick squizz at this on that matter to consider just in case .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEVfUQgCsM ...This vid shows the change over to new components when the chain fails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyehWKDV-Y ... I think in this regard the ol' inline Barra is in front .The 3.6 V6 seems a lot more prone to this than the older 3.8 units so I've been told . The bloke I bought the Accord off told me that he had no such issues with a VT with the 3.8 V6 and he had it for a long time . The one you are looking at might not be one of the troublesome ones though but just keep it in mind .

Last edited by roddy1960; 01-01-2019 at 07:21 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Interesting, I'll Google what the symptoms are for stretched timing chain...

Also, forgot to mention, the car only has 140k or so on it.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Ok, so I've checked codes etc, everything is fine. The more I discuss the major issue with my neighbour the more it sounds like a clutch problem.

He was just saying that a Holden mechanic suggested that it's most likely some kind of build up on the clutch plate (my words)... What my neighbour actually said was "that it was the thing that spins, like a wheel... And the Holden guy said that you just need to scrape it and change something..."

You get the idea.

But a slipping clutch makes most sense to me. No idea how much to change that, or if I can do it myself without a hoist... But I'd be willing to give it a go if it's doable by a home guy with minimal experience with clutches and lots of experience with most everything else.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 01-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

Righto, so its inexpensive, reasonable kays. Condition otherwise is up to you. The clutch business im not all over. Done over 140 on a factory clutch before and am on 115 in the car i daily with the factory clutch. Will it do a burnout? Or atleast grab on a harsh launch and chirp 1st?
Its a cheap car for a reason and there are things that may not be up to desired levels, but if it drives well then take that into consideration.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

What year is it?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
Interesting, I'll Google what the symptoms are for stretched timing chain...

Also, forgot to mention, the car only has 140k or so on it.
It's probably a really good car once you get the clutch slip issue dealt with if you end up buying the car . Timing chain fails are well known but not all of them do it ..

According to this bloke in this vid , the cause is pretty obvious or at least a way to minimise it happening is fairly easy fix . Main thing is very regular servicing and second thing is an easy mod to the ventilation ..

Have a quick squizz ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLPU1Qh2oo .

Otherwise a good engine it seems ..Exy if the timing chain fails though . Good luck with whatever you decide to do ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. If the clutch has been abused it may be the dual mass flywheel letting go, not really a problem, just add a few more dollars to the price of the clutch kit. (get one with a flywheel) Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Thanks guys for the input. Roddy, I think you're right it will turn out to be a very good car once sorted. I'm not interested in keeping it, just bring it back and then on selling it.

I've gotta get a few quotes for the clutch and that will be the deciding factor I think.

Michael I'm not sure the clutch has been abused in the normal P plate way. The original owner was an older gentlemen so burnouts and donuts probably weren't his thing.

Bent it's an 2007.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 02-01-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

For those who are interested, I decided not to buy the Commodore. Not that is wasn't worth it, I think I could have turned a bit of a profit on it, but my house renovation is more important at this point.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 12-01-2019, 04:08 AM   #11
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Brooksey,
I think that was a wise decision, and I don't think you would have made any significant profit on it considering the number of hours and expenses you would have had on it.

If it was to keep for yourself, yes then it would been a much better deal.

If it was to fix and sell, then you would have ended up paying rego transfer, stamp duty, paint patch up, surprise expenses, and the risk of not selling it quickly therefore having to dump the price to get rid of it. Selling an unlicensed car is near impossible.

The other thing is that the tax man is getting more clever about car sale profit also. ATO wants us to believe that they share databases from car registrations to tax office these days. Even if you had lots of expenses with it, as a private person it looks like you had it for a short while, bought it cheap, and sold it for more.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2019, 04:08 AM   #12
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Brooksey,
I think that was a wise decision, and I don't think you would have made any significant profit on it considering the number of hours and expenses you would have had on it.

If it was to keep for yourself, yes then it would been a much better deal.

If it was to fix and sell, then you would have ended up paying rego transfer, stamp duty, paint patch up, surprise expenses, and the risk of not selling it quickly therefore having to dump the price to get rid of it. Selling an unlicensed car is near impossible.

The other thing is that the tax man is getting more clever about car sale profit also. ATO wants us to believe that they share databases from car registrations to tax office these days. Even if you had lots of expenses with it, as a private person it looks like you had it for a short while, bought it cheap, and sold it for more.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post