Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Default 2016 LZ Focus 'engine service now' limp mode.

Hi,
Own a 2016 LZ for 2 years now, been reasonably reliable until a few months ago when I started getting "engine service now" on start up and occasionally while driving. Along with this, another error will appear saying 'hill start assist not operational', start stop becomes disabled and the car goes into limp mode. Occasionally restarting the car clears the fault, but sometimes it doesn't. The car is currently back at Ford for the 4th time to have this issue resolved and I'm losing patience.
They've tried:
-self test and reset (LOL)
-EGR replacement (do the petrol engines have these?)
-Boost sensor replaced

Absolutely the worst car I've owned so far, and it's not even the one with the powershift cogbox!
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Default Re: 2016 LZ Focus 'engine service now' limp mode.

Our Focus has been awesome. I'm hoping that this isn't a reoccurring thing on these models.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

I should add that I've put 71k on mine, I drive long distance, so perhaps you guys with lower K cars should be worried. I am over this issue, the car is undrivable.
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

Build Thread
Old 26-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon View Post
I should add that I've put 71k on mine, I drive long distance, so perhaps you guys with lower K cars should be worried. I am over this issue, the car is undrivable.
Watching with interest on this one, ours is up to 60k and touch wood we haven't had 1 warranty claim has been a awesome car. I got the gearbox serviced at 45k for peace of mind. Please let us know the outcome mate
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

It's been an absolute turd since I bought it mate.
Warranty claims so far:
- rear wheel bearing failure
- oil/fluid pump for start stop feature failed twice
- start stop jerky operation or non operational altogether
- re-occuring limp mode (this issue)
- rough and dipping idle intermittent

Serviced like clockwork at Ford (reluctantly) since purchase, no modifications or abuse at all.

Meanwhile my BA XT which I did a turbo conversion on years ago continues to be dependable and brilliant, only stopped driving it because of fuel economy.

Build Thread
Old 26-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Really wishing we had lemon laws like USA, I want this thing out of my life.

Build Thread
Old 29-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
jase_elxr8

sounds like a grounding issue or an issue with the engine harness splices. Splices in the engine harness cause the exact same symptoms in the ST's
jase_elxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
WindsorXR

Everyone that I know with an LZ Focus has loved it with no issues. I'd be peeved if I got a lemon

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 29-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My LZ rattles on start up, it’s like a heat shield noise. Ford says they all do it.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should have bought a diesel then you would know that the noise is OK for the car
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #11
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

I think there's an issue with the engine harness, I quizzed Ford on it, they said they did a jiggle test on it with the IDS plugged in, but nothing came up. Got the car back now after it wouldn't fault for them, so the issue is ongoing. It hasn't played up for a few days now though

Build Thread
Old 01-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
WindsorXR

Yeah, the heat shield rattle is normal. It doesn't really bother me too much, but a mate of mine just bent his up a little to stop the rattle. I know that you shouldn't have to, but it's not too hard of a fix

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 01-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorXR View Post
Yeah, the heat shield rattle is normal. It doesn't really bother me too much, but a mate of mine just bent his up a little to stop the rattle. I know that you shouldn't have to, but it's not too hard of a fix
I don't have any rattles or any other unusual noises on start up.sept 2016 purchase and 33000 kms and I still think it's the best focus I've owned.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
WindsorXR

It's a very faint rattle. Usually only hear it with the door open while starting. Not sure if some are worse than others or not

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Hey everybody,
I complained to Ford head office, who then dealt with the dealer service centre and have since found that the LZ Focus does in fact have the same type of engine wiring harness splice as the Kuga and other Foci had in the past that caused issues.
The splice has since been soldered together and the issue seems to be resolved now.

So LZ owners, the engine wiring harness can have dicky splicing, yours may not fail but they can, keep it in mind.

Build Thread
3 users like this post: