Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default First drive review of Mustang PP2

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/we-ge...-fast-package/

Positioned between the PP1 (which is pretty much what our GT's are) and the GT350, it's US $6500 option over a base GT (which we don't get).

From all reports it's closer in lap times to the Shelby than it is the base GT. Manual only.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
White SW
Starter Motor

Default Re: First drive review of Mustang PP2

Very nice Beastie it is, I love the 19" wheels, would look very nice on my BA.
White SW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

305's all round
Old 21-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While they are at it can they do a real turbo six?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ra-sweet-dream
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ra-sweet-dream
Well obviously if they were inclined they would use the 3.5 V6 from the F150 Raptor. But the 2018 Mustang has dropped the V6 completely.
Old 22-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why?
The aspirational Mustang has always been a V8.
The 6 was sold for CAFE reasons, its place now taken by the EB4.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Why?
The aspirational Mustang has always been a V8.
The 6 was sold for CAFE reasons, its place now taken by the EB4.
Why? Personal choice. Why do with 8 if you only need a 6? The Stang was always about cheap and cheerful bang for buck , I’d pay that over “having to have” that big ol 5.0 “just because”.

The Turbo six Barra would be a great power plant in there in my opinion. I’ve driven a 5.0 and it was OK, I’d rather a Barra with a good bottom end punch. That 5.0 is a very big lump of engine for 450 or so HP. Aspirational or not times change. Will it happen, of course not, but in my opinion it would work nicely. Relatively simple power plant, cheap to manufacture, bang for buck and would shake up an LS pretty easy.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 03:10 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why? Personal choice. Why do with 8 if you only need a 6? The Stang was always about cheap and cheerful bang for buck , I’d pay that over “having to have” that big ol 5.0 “just because”.

The Turbo six Barra would be a great power plant in there in my opinion. I’ve driven a 5.0 and it was OK, I’d rather a Barra with a good bottom end punch. That 5.0 is a very big lump of engine for 450 or so HP. Aspirational or not times change. Will it happen, of course not, but in my opinion it would work nicely. Relatively simple power plant, cheap to manufacture, bang for buck and would shake up an LS pretty easy.
Considering they only sold the Barra 6 here and is no longer produced, it's not going to happen. It will only be a variant of one of the Ecoboost engines or nothing. You have to admit that part of the character of the Mustang is the V8 and the sound it makes and a good part of why a Mustang GT has the V8. To can the Mustang V8 will only result in a loss of sales to Camaro and Challenger V8 models in their primary market.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geeezuz Christ - 305 rubber

That’s a nice bit of gear, wheels and stance are spot on! Very nice.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well both your reasons for wanting the 6 should be mitigated by the fact that: 1. the weight difference between the two engines is marginal at best (Around 201-203kg dry weight on both); and 2. The turbo 6 is more expensive to produce. Now you would also lose the advantage of economy of scale, so now both options add cost.
Lincoln is producing its own version, and I’m sure it will offer a turbo 6. That said, you wanted it to be cheaper, but that’s not going to happen. Just be a man, get the GT and get a supercharger! 😄

Last edited by chevypower; 24-05-2018 at 09:05 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: First drive review of Mustang PP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Well both your reasons for wanting the 6 should be mitigated by the fact that: 1. the weight difference between the two engines is marginal at best (Around 201-203kg dry weight on both); and 2. The turbo 6 is more expensive to produce. Now you would also lose the advantage of economy of scale, so now both options add cost.
Lincoln is producing its own version, and I’m sure it will offer a turbo 6. That said, you wanted it to be cheaper, but that’s not going to happen. Just be a man, get the GT and get a supercharger! ��
So the locally made turbo 6 Barra was more expensive than the V8? The sales price didn’t show that. The mod motor program is pretty old, but they have considerable investment in it, having an upstart in-line six from down under wouldn’t be very nice I guess.Two engines, similar weight, one relatively cheap ,simple to modify and tune and waaaay smaller, or a Coyote.

Be a man? Yeah, and be different too! Don’t need a supercharger for that. If anyone does I feel sorry for them hahaha.

The V8 and the Mustang definately has a strong background, but if it was (but I acknowledge it never will) be offered with a Barra turbo it would have opened up a different market. The US tuner crowd would have loved something like that.
Old 24-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the locally made turbo 6 Barra was more expensive than the V8? The sales price didn’t show that. The mod motor program is pretty old, but they have considerable investment in it, having an upstart in-line six from down under wouldn’t be very nice I guess.Two engines, similar weight, one relatively cheap ,simple to modify and tune and waaaay smaller, or a Coyote.

Be a man? Yeah, and be different too! Don’t need a supercharger for that. If anyone does I feel sorry for them hahaha.

The V8 and the Mustang definately has a strong background, but if it was (but I acknowledge it never will) be offered with a Barra turbo it would have opened up a different market. The US tuner crowd would have loved something like that.
If you pay attention much to what people say, you will know I have long been a fan of the EcoBoost V6. But that has nothing to do with the accuracy of my response to the basis of your argument. The sales price between the 4.0 I6 and 5.0 V8 Gen 2 Coyote has nothing to do with the production cost difference between the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost and the Gen 3 5.0 307 V8. Both are great engines, but your arguments are invalid. Your follow up arguments about originality and anatomical compensation are red herrings that have nothing to do with your original arguments. If you want to refute what I’m saying, then post something substantial to prove me wrong.
Old 24-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also it looks like your FG 4.0 non turbo dry weight is 195 kg. Not sure what the weight of a turbo and intercooler are, but we are already within 6 Kg of the 460 hp 5.0 that revs to 7,500rpm. Not sure what kind of weight savings you were expecting between a 4.0 with a cast iron block and an aluminum 5.0.
Old 24-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
If you pay attention much to what people say, you will know I have long been a fan of the EcoBoost V6. But that has nothing to do with the accuracy of my response to the basis of your argument. The sales price between the 4.0 I6 and 5.0 V8 Gen 2 Coyote has nothing to do with the production cost difference between the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost and the Gen 3 5.0 307 V8. Both are great engines, but your arguments are invalid. Your follow up arguments about originality and anatomical compensation are red herrings that have nothing to do with your original arguments. If you want to refute what I’m saying, then post something substantial to prove me wrong.
Settle down there old mate..my comments are only regarding the Barra. Nothing to do with the eco boost production costs or any other version of six cylinder engine you refer to. Your comments are out of context.

Your comment about “being a man, get a GT and a supercharger “ well, like I say, I’m happy to not bother measuring manhood by those means, and I like originality, it’s not a red herring, just my view old mate. Have a nice day.

Last edited by XByoot; 24-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 24-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Settle down there old mate..my comments are only regarding the Barra. Nothing to do with the eco boost production costs or any other version of six cylinder engine you refer to. Your comments are out of context.

Your comment about “being a man, get a GT and a supercharger “ well, like I say, I’m happy to not bother measuring manhood by those means, and I like originality, it’s not a red herring, just my view old mate. Have a nice day.
Fair enough, I wasn’t being literal with the “be a man” comment. I just mean go drive it and get one. We can wish it had all these things it doesn’t have, but from what I can tell, it’s an amazing car. If they did offer the TTV6, it’s not going to be advantageous in the things you are looking for. It would be torquier down low (that’s what makes it an amazing F150 engine), but it’s not like the 5.0 is lacking there. If it were me, and I had the choice in a Mustang, I really would get the 5.0 with a Whipple blower if I felt I needed more.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Is this package coming to Australia?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Is this package coming to Australia?
No word on it yet. But interestingly it's an option over there, not a new model. They have 3 variants of the GT, the base GT, the PP1 which is pretty similar in spec to what we get and then PP2.

I doubt it though.
Old 24-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
No word on it yet. But interestingly it's an option over there, not a new model. They have 3 variants of the GT, the base GT, the PP1 which is pretty similar in spec to what we get and then PP2.

I doubt it though.
Considering we don’t get the GT350 (or the upcoming GT500) over here this package would comfortably fill that step up FPV/HSV market spot that’s currently quite empty.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cylinder argument aside, why would you choose an I6 Barra over the V6 Ecoboost?

Talking about Bottom end punch. The 3.5 Ecoboost annihilates the Barra for Torque.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #20
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Cylinder argument aside, why would you choose an I6 Barra over the V6 Ecoboost?

Talking about Bottom end punch. The 3.5 Ecoboost annihilates the Barra for Torque.

Ecoboost 3.5 looks like 268kw @ 5500, 465nm @ 1500 (not sure I had a good source)

Barra (325) is 325kw @6000 and 576nm @ 2750 (Factory Barra Wikipaedia), additionally according to a graph somewhere on this forum it makes 450nm @ 1500 and 500nm by about 1700rpm.

If those figures are correct, (cylinder config vss weight aside)I would take the Barra over the Ecoboost. The ecoboost only makes 3% more nm at 1500, and is likely surpassed by the Barra before 1700rpm
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #21
Dave1966

I6 engines have been part of the Mustang since day one. It would be great marketing given all the retro styling rage.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

PP2 plus Bullitt engine tune would be a great package.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #23
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love my 6s hence the F6 in the garage. I dunno though - personally a Mustang with an 8 is like bangers and mash, they just compliment each other and are legendary on the road and on the plate. Take the mash away and put pumpkin with it and it just ain’t the same
Some things are just meant to be.......
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 03:34 AM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Ecoboost 3.5 looks like 268kw @ 5500, 465nm @ 1500 (not sure I had a good source)

Barra (325) is 325kw @6000 and 576nm @ 2750 (Factory Barra Wikipaedia), additionally according to a graph somewhere on this forum it makes 450nm @ 1500 and 500nm by about 1700rpm.

If those figures are correct, (cylinder config vss weight aside)I would take the Barra over the Ecoboost. The ecoboost only makes 3% more nm at 1500, and is likely surpassed by the Barra before 1700rpm
Actually, the highest version of the new 3.5 EcoBoost puts out 335kw and 690 Nm (in the F150 Raptor and Lincoln Navigator).
About 280kw and 645Nm in the regular F150, tuned for regular unleaded and warrantied to tow 6,000kg on a regular basis. You have to take all that into consideration.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #25
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually there is a more powerful version in the Ford GT

The GT is Ford's most powerful production car yet, sporting outputs of 482kW of power and 746Nm of torque from its 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6, which helps it reach an intimidating top speed of 346km/h.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...onfirmed-51475

(PS I didn't know this myself till I looked it up this morning)
Old 25-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sorry not sure of your figures they look to be closer to the 4 cylinder 2.3 Ecoboost.
Old 25-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #27
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry not sure of your figures they look to be closer to the 4 cylinder 2.3 Ecoboost.

Checked my Browser History - 2013 Lincoln 3.5T ... whoops old engine
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #28
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Nice package, is it comin to Oz??????
Old 25-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #29
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Actually there is a more powerful version in the Ford GT

The GT is Ford's most powerful production car yet, sporting outputs of 482kW of power and 746Nm of torque from its 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6, which helps it reach an intimidating top speed of 346km/h.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...onfirmed-51475

(PS I didn't know this myself till I looked it up this morning)
Some are even a little more special than others:
(P.S. Check out that ATI Damper. The only damper)

solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #30
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Checked my Browser History - 2013 Lincoln 3.5T ... whoops old engine
They were also detuned for FWD platforms