Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Trendseeker

Default Two hour Mustang test drives on long weekend

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-to-...ehicle-110595/

Blue Oval to offer two-hour pony car test drives on Australia Day weekend

Ford Australia is set to take advantage of our penchant for sports cars on Australia Day weekend (January 26-28) by offering the public free loans of its top-selling Mustang.

“Anyone aged 25 or over carrying a full, unrestricted driver’s licence is able to reserve a car and bring up to three passengers along for the ride, with spots being awarded on a first-come, first-served basis,” Ford says.

“With over 380 test drives available, you can cruise around three iconic destinations: Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula, Queensland’s south-east coast and New South Wales’ Northern Beaches.”

The move is unprecedented for Ford, which has won a legion of fans courtesy of first global Mustang, along with the Ranger ute — Australia’s top-selling 4×4 ute.

The ‘Ultimate Mustang Road Trip pop-ups’ can be found at the following locations:

– New South Wales: St Ives Showground, 450 Mona Vale Rd, St Ives
– Victoria: Mount Eliza Secondary College, 204 Canadian Bay Rd, Mount Eliza
– Queensland: Victory Ford, 10-20 Minjungbal Dr, Tweed Heads South (just south of the Queensland border)

Registrations for the Mustang test drive are available at ultimatemustangroadtrip.eventbrite.com, while more details on Ford’s 2nd Car initiative can be found at Ford2ndCar.
Old 20-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Two hour Mustang test drives on long weekend

That offer was full after a few hours of going live.. too popular!!
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Can bring up to 3 passengers?

Hopefully 2 of them are small kids or they will need to get the hacksaw out.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
Brodes
Brodes

Can't say I'd wanna be buying an ex-demo Mustang after this weekend.
Old 25-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting . Two hours would be a reasonable time. Have been spotting often V8 Mustangs of late but on Monday (still on hol's) I went to spend some time with my friend who runs our local museum and builds some of the best ship and aircraft models you'll ever see. I went at lunch time to get some food and saw another silver Mustang parked at the newsagency adjacent to the takeaway and the couple were just heading to the car . Once I realised that this was the Ecoboost version I decided to wait and hear it running.
Greatest respect to them but why bother having Ford's most famous car and having the four only ..No doubt they go really well but because I regularly see and hear a local GT model . Sound alone , NUP..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Interesting . Two hours would be a reasonable time. Have been spotting often V8 Mustangs of late but on Monday (still on hol's) I went to spend some time with my friend who runs our local museum and builds some of the best ship and aircraft models you'll ever see. I went at lunch time to get some food and saw another silver Mustang parked at the newsagency adjacent to the takeaway and the couple were just heading to the car . Once I realised that this was the Ecoboost version I decided to wait and hear it running.
Greatest respect to them but why bother having Ford's most famous car and having the four only ..No doubt they go really well but because I regularly see and hear a local GT model . Sound alone , NUP..
I'll let you in on a little secret...not everyone is into V8s. Isn't the power of choice wonderful?

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret...not everyone is into V8s. Isn't the power of choice wonderful?
yeah but basically nobody is into 4 cylinders, let alone US 4 cylinders LOL,
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 12:13 AM   #8
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
Perhaps, but as evidence shows, some people clearly are.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2018, 12:41 AM   #9
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnz_xr8 View Post
Plenty of people are into four bangers.... Go along to an import meet and see how many get serious money thrown at them.

While I wouldn't buy one I can see why quite a few have.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 01:29 AM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's probably a fair chunk of buyers who only want the car for its pose value, and couldn't care less how many cylinders it has.

Plenty of convertible BMWs with only a 4-pot under the bonnet......

I've seen quite a few 4-cyl mustangs on the road doing daily commuter duty. It's a win-win if you want the car, but can't justify the V8. I reckon if you asked those owners of the Ecoboost why they chose it, you'll get a very good reason. It could be the finance cost - maybe their budget or car allowance couldn't stretch to a V8? Maybe it's a young person who can't insure a V8, but loves the car? Maybe they just want a nice cruiser, and can't justify another $10-15K? Not everyone bought V8 Fairmont Ghias when they were on offer either.

This is the problem with an enthusiast site like this - most people here are really into cars, and would be the top 5%, or even 1% of the knowledgable population when it comes to new Fords. But we don't make enough allowances for the 95% of the population who just want an appliance, or a nice looking daily driver, and couldn't care less what's under the bonnet, as long as it goes OK.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

A 4 cylinder Mustang is better than no Mustang at all!!
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

The new 4 cylinder Mustang can be fitted out pretty sporty.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Thumbs up Re: Two hour Mustang test drives on long weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
A 4 cylinder Mustang is better than no Mustang at all!!
Um.. To each their own. It's like saying a 316i BMW is better than no BMW at all.. The sheer embarrassment of owning an entry level is hard to conquer, I'd rather a top level junkbox Corolla for half the price and blend in than be seen as a pretender who wanted a BMW but bought the entry level model
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

For a daily, I think the Ecoboost has its advantages.

4 litres less fuel per 100Kms = $6 on average or $1,200 per year for 20,000Kms.

Plus being lighter than the V8, means they steer and handle really well.

Faster than the V8 Stangs of only a decade ago and more powerful than the current US V6.

With a tune, they would give many XR6T's a run for their money.

A $10- $15,000 saving over the V8 pays for all servicing, rego and insurance for many years of ownership as well.

What other 4 cylinder cars at its price point has the street cred and turns as many heads.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
There's probably a fair chunk of buyers who only want the car for its pose value, and couldn't care less how many cylinders it has.

Plenty of convertible BMWs with only a 4-pot under the bonnet......

I've seen quite a few 4-cyl mustangs on the road doing daily commuter duty. It's a win-win if you want the car, but can't justify the V8. I reckon if you asked those owners of the Ecoboost why they chose it, you'll get a very good reason. It could be the finance cost - maybe their budget or car allowance couldn't stretch to a V8? Maybe it's a young person who can't insure a V8, but loves the car? Maybe they just want a nice cruiser, and can't justify another $10-15K? Not everyone bought V8 Fairmont Ghias when they were on offer either.

This is the problem with an enthusiast site like this - most people here are really into cars, and would be the top 5%, or even 1% of the knowledgable population when it comes to new Fords. But we don't make enough allowances for the 95% of the population who just want an appliance, or a nice looking daily driver, and couldn't care less what's under the bonnet, as long as it goes OK.
I spotted a young guy in an Grabber Blue EcoBoost fastback the other day. He looked like he was on cloud nine. And that what its all about. If a car makes you feel good when you are driving it, who cares if its not a V8.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a beautiful brunette driving a mustang a while back on a dual carriage freeway. In order I noticed the Stang first, then the lady driving it (geezus), and then the fact it was a 4 cyl. She did more for that Stang than a V8 could ever dream of doing. Best Stang package I’ve seen yet.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #17
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

I got passed by an Ecoboost on the freeway a couple of weeks ago.
I had the V8 purring along at the legal 100kph but couldn’t keep up with the hoon in the four cylinder fastback as he was sitting on 103 and I couldn’t chase him down without breaking the road rules.
Next time i’m sure i’ll get the four.
Old 28-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #18
Swordie

I know someone with Ecoboost Mustang. For them it has plenty of go.
Swordie is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post