Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Not a good day for this bloke, stolen Monaro!

https://thewest.com.au/news/crime/cl...-ng-b88784446z
Old 28-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Not a good day for this bloke, stolen Monaro!

Thats a damn low act
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Thats a damn low act
Low acts are every where, A stolen car is not so bad. Many worse low acts can happen. I had mine stolen, soon got over it. The money side of things was hard. But its only money. Now I have insurance. And it is a Holden after all.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
Low acts are every where, A stolen car is not so bad. Many worse low acts can happen. I had mine stolen, soon got over it. The money side of things was hard. But its only money. Now I have insurance. And it is a Holden after all.
Are you kidding? Who cares what sort of car it was. Insurance doesnt cover everything.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Are you kidding? Who cares what sort of car it was. Insurance doesnt cover everything.
Read the post again, I did not say if or not he had insurance, I don't care, I was only stating worse things can happen.
Old 28-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not interested in any thing you type end of discussion
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
lovford
Banned

I would be slightly more upset if it was a XY, XW GT.
Old 29-03-2018, 12:57 AM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
It was a HQ Monaro, an Australian classic, or even an icon of Australian motoring history, of course it matters.
Yes there are worse things in life, but in context of having cars stolen, a HQ Monaro is up there as compared to a Corolla or a VY Commodore.
Any true car enthusiast would feel this guys pain, even a Ford lover.
Old 29-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a double whammy - the article actually says it wasn't insured during the rebuild.

This is where Shannons laid-up cover is good, but it still doesn't offset the pain.

And anyone who can post rubbish about it clearly has never invested any time in the restoration or even major repair of a classic car, nor had a car stolen.

When you've had both happen to you (like I, and others on here have), then feel free to post crap. But until then, STFU with your bullshyte about it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having anything stolen is just plain pathetic, there are grubs everywhere these days who just waste the air we breathe. If this guy is genuine and lost his car (which of course is the most likely scenario) then I feel for him, he’s had his pride and joy stolen, it’s not the money, it’s the hours of work and planning. Anyone who has rebuilt , restored, modified a car will get it. But it’s also a possibility he’s set it up. Even if it’s uninsured it’s still possible he’s done it to make it disappear for a divorce settlement family feuds or god knows what reason. Like I say unlikely but anything is possible. I don’t take much on face value with these stories.

Last edited by XByoot; 29-03-2018 at 09:56 AM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I just don't get it - why do people not insure???

Laid up for $40k of cover wouldn't have been more than $300...
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #12
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I just don't get it - why do people not insure???

Laid up for $40k of cover wouldn't have been more than $300...
Absolutely, money won’t replace the fact someone has stolen your pride and joy but it gives you something to start again with, if you wish to do so. However, I can see how guys don’t bother, if it’s a modified vehicle under build it’s a pain, list every single part by name and value, where the parts are located, justify why you want it insured for a particular amount and then keep it updated along the way when big purchases occur. It’s a chore but an essential one unfortunately.
Old 29-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a HQ stolen back in 1994 from Childers Street North Adelaide.

Just a base model 4 door 3-on-the-tree 202 that at that point was running pretty rough. Got it a few years earlier for $150 and a slab of West End Super.

Woke up, went outside, no longer parked out front. Damn!

Rang mate to come pick me up. He arrives and says he just drove past my car abandoned about 200m down the street.

It turned over no dramas, still had fuel, and no damage to ignition as I had been driving it without a key for about 18 months just by turning the butterfly on the ignition barrel.

Was happy to have my car back, but weirdly kind of offended that within 200m they had chosen to walk instead.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
JG33

Although painful not having a XB or XC in my garage, this situation and others like this:

reminds me why I shouldn't have one.

They're getting scarce, difficult to replace parts and expensive as well.

Each to their own though.

Last edited by JG33; 29-03-2018 at 04:25 PM.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Had a HQ stolen back in 1994 from Childers Street North Adelaide.

Just a base model 4 door 3-on-the-tree 202 that at that point was running pretty rough. Got it a few years earlier for $150 and a slab of West End Super.

Woke up, went outside, no longer parked out front. Damn!

Rang mate to come pick me up. He arrives and says he just drove past my car abandoned about 200m down the street.

It turned over no dramas, still had fuel, and no damage to ignition as I had been driving it without a key for about 18 months just by turning the butterfly on the ignition barrel.

Was happy to have my car back, but weirdly kind of offended that within 200m they had chosen to walk instead.
Bloke who sold it to you is crummy cos he was thirsty and you stumped up with a carton of West End.

Buy something drinkable next time.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2018, 02:38 AM   #16
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt you would find a tradesperson on this site who hasn't had gear knocked off. The worst case of bad luck I witnessed was a good mate, a chippie, who woke up to find his very clean XC 4.9 panel van had vanished, with all his tools which added up to $15,000 in 1992. The insurance fought him so hard on the tools but he replaced most, but could not replace the Ford, too hard to find a clean one by then he reckoned. Ended up with a WB panel van with a 253 on gas that gave him constant dramas.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I had 2 cars and half a shed load of tools stolen about 20 years ago and even today it still hurts to some extent when I think about it.

It's similar to the regret of selling a classic years ago, you'll always feel some sadness.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There’s dodgy people everywhere of course, they steal cars and they own cars. Three sides to every story and I still have a level of doubt over the owners knowledge of all of this. Divorce settlements,money owed, ownership issues are few of many reasons he might like it to disappear. Of course if he is innocent of any skullduggery I have the utmost sympathy for him.

My Val was stolen years ago when it was worth nothing (actually they still aren’t worth much!) and used in a robbery and smashed. No one was hurt but the Camira it hit was basically vaporised from all reports. Insurance gave the pay out which was basically loose change and I repaired it for my Grand dad who owned it since new. Bitter journey that was, time consuming and I still hate that it happened. I still remember the look on old pops face when it was wrecked and the insurance company just laughed at the idea of repairing it. Mind you he was pretty stoked when we reapaired it for him!

It must have a thing about GM cars, years later a Gemini launched out in front of it from a side street ( I was driving, he gave me the car when he passed) , second kill, thankfully the driver was OK but the Gemini was bent, roof buckled, I drove the Val home, third strike was an idiot in a Impaler, hit the side door at a round about . Parts were cheap back then so I got the best panels I could find gave it a full bare metal resto and it seems to be happier to play nicely these days.

Forgive the ramble but what I’m saying is a lot of these cars have a massive sentimental value to the owners, that includes me. These low life’s just are in it for the quick buck.

Here’s a quick pic of the old gal, a mate messaged me the other day to ask what I was driving when I was doing a parts run so I just took a quick snap.

Last edited by XByoot; 30-03-2018 at 06:54 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #19
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
It's similar to the regret of selling a classic years ago, you'll always feel some sadness.

Very true. In the early 80’s I bought a really nice Mulberry XB Coupe , straight, rust free country car for the princely sum of 1200. Did the clutch and a few minor repairs and drove it for a couple of months . Sold it coz it was so big for Sydney driving and parking and it “only” has a 302 and a BW 4 speed!! I sold it to a guy for 2500 and I thought I was so clever... and I keep the Val. I’m not going to make my fortunes from car value speculation am I.
At the end of the day I liked the XB Coupe, but I didn’t love it like the old Val and my XM. I can live with my decisions I guess. Too many great times and memories, that’s what the money can’t buy.

Last edited by XByoot; 30-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 31-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #20
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I had my Hyundai excel stolen by a harpie I dated. It only cost me $500 but still makes me furious when I think about it. Theres nothing like knowing that someone else is driving your car against your will.