Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Falcon GT Club of Geelong

Old 28-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XA GTs-is this correct?

I am currently reading the latest Australian Muscle Car magazine and they have printed a letter from some bloke which contains a heap of XA GT "facts".This letter is in response to a recent article they did on the XA GT and seeks to provide additional information.
Among these "facts",the writer claims that some XA GTs had single rail gearboxes (if they were fitted with "Australian" engines) and that those particular GTs also had round exhaust tips,not rectangular.
In all my years,I have never heard of either of these claims or seen an XA GT with the features as described and I'm wondering if there is any truth to the claims.I realise that it's only a letter and not an article but you would think that AMC might check the facts before publishing it.
Is he correct?
Old 28-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XA GTs-is this correct?

That's correct for XB GT's not XA's.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

All XA four speed cars, utes and vans had a toploader. Even the Cortina with a 250 CID had a top loader.

XB Gts had top loaders up until about April 1974 when single rails became standard across the range. The rest of this range were single rail from the outset.

There were some XB GT cars randomly fitted with top loaders up until the end of production to allow the continued use in racing. These cars have it detailed as HO drive line on the build sheet but my understanding is you could not specify it when ordering.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep,that's what I thought and that's why I was surprised that AMC had printed a letter with such inaccuracies in it.
But then again,they aren't known for getting it right a lot of the time...
Old 28-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So much miss information out there. I read a post on FB where one idiot was saying that if you didn't have GT stamped on the cars ID plates the car wasn't a GT ...,what a tossa
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
xbgt75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At AFF day last year I had a guy looking at my car TELL me that some XB falcons came out with a holley 850 with a Ford factory part number and that XA GTs had completely different factory aircon to XB GTs (under bonnet) and mine had XA aircon so it couldn't be genuine. FFS. Maybe he was a magazine publisher
Wouldn't take no for an answer...
xbgt75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The twits at AMC wasted nearly an entire page on that bloke's letter and most of the content was wrong.Smart.
Old 28-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
rex351

AMC staff need to go back and read some of the Oastler issues, learn how a car enthusiasts mag should be done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
rex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: XA GTs-is this correct?

the other problem amc has is it seems to be running out of stories that capture the imagination like the earlier volumes. that's where survivor car mag has found a niche as it writes stories about survivor cars and their owners NOT owners opinions of what is factual. together with pictures of the originality its a winner in my books....I do recall a good friend of mine penning a letter to amc which was then published in the mag asking about more stories about the owners of the cars, the enthusiasts, to be featured as at that time we were having shoved down our throats the version of the phase 4 story according to a select few.....the magazine indicated it was not that interested
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without fail I get asked EVERY time I put fuel in the car, "is it genuine", I use to say yeah, then listen to them tell me BS specs and stories about GTs.

Now I say "its just a tarted up taxi" and most will then just keep walking.

It is kind a cool to talk to people about cars, but some just have no idea and if you correct them, they start arguing with you...WTF?

As for the crap in magazines sometimes.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #11
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Without fail I get asked EVERY time I put fuel in the car, "is it genuine", I use to say yeah, then listen to them tell me BS specs and stories about GTs.

Now I say "its just a tarted up taxi" and most will then just keep walking.

It is kind a cool to talk to people about cars, but some just have no idea and if you correct them, they start arguing with you...WTF?

As for the crap in magazines sometimes.
honestly a lot wouldn't know if your coupe was XY,XA,XB but they will still tell you facts about your own car.
I've had people think my old XW HO was a Charger and others asking if a GXL is a Monaro!
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post