Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Falcon GT Club of Geelong

Old 29-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
XA Coupe 666
2many projects No time/$

Default I know it's a long shot but please help me find my XA GS Coupe engine?

Originally from Ballarat Victoria. Eng no. JG65NC26685K

Back in 1983/4 I bought a Falcon 500 XA Coupe. At the time I did not care for matching numbers or XA front ends for that fact so I completely stripped it down, took off the GT front & put a XC front & XB GT bonnet, had it painted black (Originally Red Pepper with black outs) & swapped out the 302 (Matching numbers) for a 351 I had in my XA panel van. After a while I pulled the 302 out of the van & replace it with a crossflow six & auto so my dad could drive it & sold the 302 toploader to a mate & put it in his XY. He ended up totalling the XY & he sold the combo to another mate of ours Mark Quinney who had it for a year or so & then sold it again but to who I don't know & he is now dead so I cant ask him.

If it was just a 500 it would not be such a big deal but as it came from the factory with a GT front, GT dash, toploader etc. (only thing missing was a 9" diff) it got me wondering about its heritage.

I contacted Ford & found out it was indeed a GS.

It was only on the road for about a year when I lost my licecne for 2 years so the only way to stop me driving it was to give it another once over so I stripped it to bare metal this time & stripped the engine as well. I wont go into reasons why but that's virtually the way it has been for the last 25+ years.

I now want to restore it back to original (Even though I don't particularly like Red Pepper, looks like a dirty orange to me) so I have all the panels etc. but don't have the original engine & I feel that without I may as well not bother (With oringinality).

I have been to Vic roads & the engine is not in any registered vehicle in Australia but may be in a club registered one (They are not on computer)

I don't think it would have gone interstate but whoever has it may have shifted.

I know I could have simply stroked the 302 to a 351 but I didn't see the point when a straight swap took less than a day & both were drivers again.

SO here's my long shot, if you know of a Cleveland engine lying around that came out of a coupe (JG65) or indeed in your car I would love it if you could check if it is the one I seek. Of course in the highly unlikely event I find it I will certainly come to some arrangement with the owner, especially if it is in a car.

Even if the person who has it doesn't want to sell it back to me I just like to know if it is still around.

Thanks

PS to the administrators/moderators I intend to post this in several different groups as obviously this could be anywhere so please don't delete them. Thanks
XA Coupe 666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post