Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 30-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
vanlan2010
Starter Motor

Default Does my Ford Telstar TX5 1993 need tune up?

Firstly would like to say hi to everyone, I am from the ACT, Canberra.

Secondly, my problem: I just got a Telstar TX5 1993 V6 AUTO for 3 weeks. Brought to Midas in Fyshwick ACT for minor service: oil change, replaced oil filter etc... then they reckon to have a transmision flush due to the trans oil was too old, burnt smell etc... Yep, I agreed to pay $300+ because I hope it would keep the car run for a while. Recently, I notice that when my car's gear is in D and epecially when it's idle at traffic light, I feel the engine's sound was not right. It's very very hard to explain but the sound doesnt smooth at all. Any suggestion?

Thirdly, fuel consumption around 14lt/100kms with unleaded caltex petrol. Do ya think that I should try to put vortex or premium petrol? Or should I have my car tune up. And please advise me what the cost should be? Any Canberran mechanics you can reccommend? I have had very bad experiences with mechanics who only wants your money.

Thanks for any helps.

vanlan2010

P/s: I would call Lube mobile tomorrow to get a quote to come to my work place to tune up my car. At least I can see what they've done to the car. Midas was so dodgy, they said they would top up all the fluids etc... when neccessary but they didnt. I'll never come back there again ever.

vanlan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
VippiN
What a performer!

Get the timing looked at. Generally a 'tune up' doesn't involve tuning the engine itself.. and with the stock ECU's there isn't much to be done either.

Teach yourself to do oil changes, general maintenence yourself. You'll save yourself a bucketload and it's really quite easy. This way you actually KNOW everything has been done, and not just said it has been done.
1991 Ford Laser KF TX3 :: BP-T :: 2011-2015 109fwkW
2007 Ford Falcon BF XR6 Turbo Ute :: Barra 245T :: 2014-2019 324rwkW
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR8 Ute :: Windsor V8 :: 2019-2020
2008 Ford Fiesta XR4 :: Duratec 150 :: 2021-*
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR6 :: HP Intech :: 2021-*
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
dirty hands
Over Thinker

has no faith in midas as well
is the rest of the box changing ok and functioning normally ?
IF the trans oil was too old, burnt smell this means the gearbox has/or will have internal problems or has not been serviced - how many kms has this car done ?
in D with a rough idle
if the timing is ok and the idle is correct (autos need a higher idle)and the problem remains we then need to go back to the automatic
the torque converter/oil pump and do a stall test and pressure test
the brownish colour comes from the kickdown band and the friction and clutch plates within the box its self being worn or breaking up (wait for a reply)
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
vanlan2010
Starter Motor

Hi there,

Thanks for reply dirty hands. The car has done 188000kms. Well, honestly I am a noob regarding car's operation an things like that. All I can do is checking the oil, top up al the fluids, some basic maintenance that's all. However, the idea you've given me was precious. I believe lube mobile has the same thing call "Electronic Tune" service. I'm gonna ring them for a quote soon. Anyone has friends or relatives in the ACT who can reckon a reliable mechanics? I have met so many dodgy and even the "trusted brand" like Midas only want your money but did not do proper job on your car.

Link from Lube mobile: here
Old 01-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default here to help

if you had a digital camera and could take a pic of the engine bay

we might be able to show you where the idle up screw is

and a few basic things to help you :

as long as the auto changes gears smoothly and no clunks thats good
Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
vanlan2010
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hands
if you had a digital camera and could take a pic of the engine bay

we might be able to show you where the idle up screw is

and a few basic things to help you :

as long as the auto changes gears smoothly and no clunks thats good
Hi there,

What is the ideal rpm for this particular car in idle? when the engine is in its working temp, the rpm is around 6-800rpm. is that too low or too high?

thanks for your help, i've added you into my YM list... might try to find and chat to you later on Yahoo.

Cheers

vanlan2010
Old 01-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default guessing

750-800 rpm
engine warm
no air con/lights or accessories
in park

when in drive if it goes below 600 rpm you need to up the idle or recheck the timing / plugs or other.

I dont have a repair manual on your car