Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default More states prepare to ban cars with dodgy Takata airbags from our roads

On the weekend South Australia became the first jurisdiction to cancel the registration and/or rego renewal of cars with certain types of Takata airbags, which can spray shrapnel in a crash.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/motorin...2ca4b6a2be1246
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: More states prepare to ban cars with dodgy Takata airbags from our roads

So ... is there a scenario where an owner can undertake all reasonable efforts to have an airbag replaced and for reasons not their fault - eg. airbag manufacturer, car manufacturer, dealer - the airbag is not replaced in a timely fashion?
Should the owner be "penalised"?
(take that comment from the perspective that I drove my '65 Chev Corvair today .. with four wheel drums, non-collapsing steering column, lap belts only, etc, etc .. so any Takata airbags are likely a risk reduction from that perspective)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: More states prepare to ban cars with dodgy Takata airbags from our roads

This will kill second hand market and trade ins. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 14-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
GTMOND

Just another way of people telling you what you should do. It doesn’t effect the danger of other road users, so if people decide to drive with a possible dodgy airbag, well that’s their problem.
I have had mine done but, for someone to say you can’t drive it is over the top.
The whole baby sitting everyone is just making people so stupid.
It’s like the mining industry, they write everything down to the T, instead of people using the brain you were born with. It used to be called common sense.
Anyway my rant over.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe it,s my fault because I said in another post,that Rego offices could probably take steps to suspend the rego on vehicles that the owners had been sent notices,but were just too lazy to take steps to get the airbags replaced.People that I know have had their airbags replaced within a couple of weeks of contacting the appropriate dealer to arrange the fix,so if owners have been too slack to have the job done 3 months after the recall,they deserve whatever is necessary to make them comply
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I think it is fair enough to suspend registration if the manufacturer has tried to do the replacement but it is the laziness of the owner that is the problem that it is not fixed. Maybe we dont care about the driver, but Could be they lend the car to someone else who isnt aware of the issue and they crash?
Though if the car is say 300 or 1000km from a dealership, what then? The dealership should have to visit the owner, not the other way around. Would only be fair.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

If a vehicle has defect causing a roadworthy issue it should not be on the road, this reasoning has been around a long time.
Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Checked with Mazda and wife’s CX-7 is not part of the program or at least not on the affected VIN List
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Makes sense...especially with the fiasco in QLD surrounding modified utes/4x4's. A defect is a defect.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Makes sense...especially with the fiasco in QLD surrounding modified utes/4x4's. A defect is a defect.
In my case, it’s only a recall if it’s on a list......
I’m sure our CX-7 has the dud Takata air bags but Mazda says no
so what happens now if someone decides in the future the car
should have been recalled but was somehow missed?
Do I need a letter from. Mazda re air bag status?

Some things are never black and white........
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Authorities in Victoria state that in an effort to make the cars even safer they are restricting the maximum speed to 20kmh
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I wonder what would happen if someone tried to book the car into the dealer but they were too busy, in the meantime the cars rego is cancelled.

Would the owner.
  • Park it.
  • Ask the dealer for a loan car.
  • Speak to the relevant transport authority for extended time?
Old 14-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Just a reminder, for anyone currently looking at buying a used car or to check their own.

It is worth inputing the rego on this web site to see if it is affected by the Takata airbag recall;

ismyairbagsafe.com.au
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #14
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Glad to see Falcon skipped this fiasco. Anybody know what we have fitted in Aussie Fords?
Old 14-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #15
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
Glad to see Falcon skipped this fiasco. Anybody know what we have fitted in Aussie Fords?
Yes, only the following Australian Ford vehicles were affected, totalling 108,000 cars recalled by Ford;

Australian Ford vehicles impacted by Takata airbag recalls;

2006-2011 Ranger (approximately 69,500 vehicles)
2004-2005 Econovan (approx. 1300)
2004-2006 Courier (approx. 21,000)
2007-2009 Mondeo (approx. 9500)
2015-2017 Mondeo (approx. 6500)
Old 14-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #16
GTMOND

Unroadworthy, you can by a motorcycle that doesn’t have an airbag at all, yet you can ride it. WELL at the moment, we may have to put trainer wheels on them, god forbid someone has a possibility of hurting themselves.
The worlds gone nuts. Promise end of rant��
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I'm not seeing much of a problem, IMO they should leave the faulty airbags in place, it might encourage drivers to be a little more attentive, knowing that if they crash they're going to have a grenade go off in their face....

Y'know? like the older cars that don't have seatbelts or collapsible steering columns, where if you hit something you're going to get impaled!

That said, from a dealership employee point of view, its amazing to see how many of the cars coming in for airbags have existing recalls for things that you'd consider just as critical from a safety perspective....
Old 15-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I'm not seeing much of a problem, IMO they should leave the faulty airbags in place, it might encourage drivers to be a little more attentive, knowing that if they crash they're going to have a grenade go off in their face.
Until it hits home... Your wife, daughter or partner is driving along carefully in an affected Takata airbag car, and some drunken idiot runs into them.

The bag explodes spraying metal shrapnel into their pretty face, scarring them for the rest of their life.

I wonder if you'd see the problem then... Or tell them you believed the deadly airbags were better left in place?
Old 15-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #19
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
This will kill second hand market and trade ins. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
It does already,Pickles Auctions will not accept a vehicle subject to the Takata recall.Cheers
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #20
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that all would have to pull out the fuse for the airbag, then the law can do nothing at all about such, because that danger is gone.

It's just a legal thing of being sued if one does harm.

We will have to do away with air bags they are the most dangerous thing in cars.

Surely they can make a modern day harness that is the best way to go, with it all built into the seat like with like how the best tec work now with seatbelts.
Just pull 2 across your gut and clip them together and then draw down the top into that section, I am sure that would be better than any stupid fool steering wheel airbag.

You don't always crash to a full stop like and all, there are a lot of what if's like one thump and them the big thump happens after the bag has gone down and all ay.

Here and what about all that toxic gas when they go off I have heard about, some will sue for that right enough next I am sure.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #21
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I think that all would have to pull out the fuse for the airbag, then the law can do nothing at all about such, because that danger is gone.
If an airbag is fitted by the manufacturer, it must be operational for the car to be roadworthy.
So technically pulling the fuse is not a legal option.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Checked with Mazda and wife’s CX-7 is not part of the program or at least not on the affected VIN List
if you don't trust mazda, just use the website in the quote below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Just a reminder, for anyone currently looking at buying a used car or to check their own.

It is worth inputing the rego on this web site to see if it is affected by the Takata airbag recall;

ismyairbagsafe.com.au
Old 15-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the article quoted. The article I read only mentioned they were banning registration renewal on affected cars, not cancelling current registrations.

This issue has been in the media for a very long time, so there has been plenty of time for anyone and everyone to check the status of their cars airbag.

The problem is though, that many manufacturers have supply issues. I've read a few stories where owners have done the right thing and spoken to their manufacturer/dealer about their car, and have been told that the earliest they can get replacement parts is next year. They do have a letter from the dealership explaining this, so perhaps this will be enough to allow them to still be able to register their cars.

Apart from supply issues, I think the idea is sound.
Old 16-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
Unroadworthy, you can by a motorcycle that doesn’t have an airbag at all, yet you can ride it. WELL at the moment, we may have to put trainer wheels on them, god forbid someone has a possibility of hurting themselves.
The worlds gone nuts. Promise end of rant��
Honda Goldwing has the airbag. http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/hond...irbag-dct.html
Old 16-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #25
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Though if the car is say 300 or 1000km from a dealership, what then? The dealership should have to visit the owner, not the other way around. Would only be fair.
This was the case with our work ute.
600km to Townsville to get it done, then drive it back again.

Pretty sure Nissan didn't cover the fuel either.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #26
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
Aussie Fords & Commodores were fitted with airbags made by a company (in Aust) called Autoliv. AFIAK their product is (far!!) superior & not effected by this recall.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Until it hits home... Your wife, daughter or partner is driving along carefully in an affected Takata airbag car, and some drunken idiot runs into them.

The bag explodes spraying metal shrapnel into their pretty face, scarring them for the rest of their life.

I wonder if you'd see the problem then... Or tell them you believed the deadly airbags were better left in place?
Ever heard the saying "Friends don't let friends buy....."?

Single with a couple of Falcons, Mum drives a VF, Dad drives a VT, Stepfather drives a Prado....
Old 17-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Single with a couple of Falcons, Mum drives a VF, Dad drives a VT, Stepfather drives a Prado....
are you saying people should have been able to see in to the future?
Old 17-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Cars effected are otherwise dependable, safe and relatively fault free from reputable manufacturers. No one could predict this issue.

Our Australian made cars are just benefiting from another company offering a better supply deal for airbags...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
are you saying people should have been able to see in to the future?
Didn't need to see into the future to buy quality or Australian made....