Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Re: Genisis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I don’t see the stinger lasting long. Only a couple of hundreds sales a month here, and hasn’t sold very well in the us. Kia have already admitted it won’t make a second generation unless sales in the us pick up.
Hard to see logic in that, given the G70 variant it's a cousin of won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Genesis might struggle early, but as an employee of a Hyundai dealership (not that this really qualifies me for much) I know that Hyundai when committed to something act pretty strongly about it. I don't think it will be much different for Genesis.
Old 25-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #32
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I don’t see the stinger lasting long. Only a couple of hundreds sales a month here, and hasn’t sold very well in the us. Kia have already admitted it won’t make a second generation unless sales in the us pick up.
Not surprised...
The FPV zealots have jumped to mustang and very low klm HSV commodores are still plentiful second hand. Stinger was never going to appeal to the non V8 crowd no matter how good it is ( was )
Stacks of em available on Carsales. Slow movers.

Proof is in the sales......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #33
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Not surprised...
The FPV zealots have jumped to mustang and very low klm HSV commodores are still plentiful second hand. Stinger was never going to appeal to the non V8 crowd no matter how good it is ( was )
Stacks of em available on Carsales. Slow movers.

Proof is in the sales......
As weird as it may sound, I think the Stinger was released at the wrong time for our market. A lot of people jumped into Falcons and Commodores towards the end of their production lives. Those people weren't looking for a new car a year or so later.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Hard to see logic in that, given the G70 variant it's a cousin of won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Genesis might struggle early, but as an employee of a Hyundai dealership (not that this really qualifies me for much) I know that Hyundai when committed to something act pretty strongly about it. I don't think it will be much different for Genesis.
Why is it hard to see? It’s getting nowhere near it’s sales projections. The us is it’s main target and it just hasn’t made an impact there. They admitted they won’t make a second generation if things don’t pick up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 03:15 AM   #35
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Biggest hurdle this car has it's a bit pricey for a Hyundai. Anyone agree?
Old 26-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks nice. Hopefully we will see more of these than all the Stingers I don’t see.
Although if I were to get a Genesis I’d probably want the big luxo sedan. G80 I think it is.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #37
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
You mean like how FPV Falcons were 70-80K and HSV commodores were 90-100K - kinda like that yeah......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #38
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Why is it hard to see? It’s getting nowhere near it’s sales projections. The us is it’s main target and it just hasn’t made an impact there. They admitted they won’t make a second generation if things don’t pick up.
It's hard to see because they'll be developing a next generation G70 so production and development costs will be shared. Like the i30 N for Hyundai, the model may not necessarily be there for production numbers as a target but the brand value and credibility it can win them is quite large.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #39
Poetic Justice

Quote:
As a Hyundai sales manager I see this point of view quite often. In fact, it's often a challenge I deal with when it comes to selling vehicles. The reality though, if you try to look at it from a pragmatic way is that the 'for a Hyundai' concept is something that is based on a narrow view that all current Hyundai's must be only as good as the ones that were available 10, 15+ years ago. The reality is vastly different.

I would challenge people... not to buy a Hyundai, but to spend some time with it and make an unbiased opinion. Drive an early Veloster with it's ****house DCT and then drive the current iteration of the i30 1.6 turbo with DCT. Compare the fit and finish of the vehicles and the drivability and improvement they made on things like said DCT.

Drive a 2011-2017 DM series Santa Fe. These cars were very popular, easy to sell. Then drive a MY18+ TM Santa Fe and tell me that you can't see marked improvement on the quality, fit, finish and feel of these cars. Whether you would own it is irrelevant in some way, because people have their own faith in the products they support and there's nothing wrong with that.

Having driven several of the first generation Genesis' vehicles and having driven the Kia Stinger a bit I just know that the G70 would be an awesome car.

Does it have the 8 cylinders that so many enthusiasts that would be found here want? No.. but that's not to suggest that this car or any 6 cylinder euro or 6 cylinder anything is aimed at that market.

I guess my point is, 'for a Hyundai' sucks because they really aren't quite where they used to be. IMHO of course.

Apologies for being defensive, I guess I support the brand which isn't terrible for someone tasked with managing people who have to sell them ;)
Old 26-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #40
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As a Hyundai sales manager I see this point of view quite often. In fact, it's often a challenge I deal with when it comes to selling vehicles. The reality though, if you try to look at it from a pragmatic way is that the 'for a Hyundai' concept is something that is based on a narrow view that all current Hyundai's must be only as good as the ones that were available 10, 15+ years ago. The reality is vastly different.

I would challenge people... not to buy a Hyundai, but to spend some time with it and make an unbiased opinion. Drive an early Veloster with it's ****house DCT and then drive the current iteration of the i30 1.6 turbo with DCT. Compare the fit and finish of the vehicles and the drivability and improvement they made on things like said DCT.

Drive a 2011-2017 DM series Santa Fe. These cars were very popular, easy to sell. Then drive a MY18+ TM Santa Fe and tell me that you can't see marked improvement on the quality, fit, finish and feel of these cars. Whether you would own it is irrelevant in some way, because people have their own faith in the products they support and there's nothing wrong with that.

Having driven several of the first generation Genesis' vehicles and having driven the Kia Stinger a bit I just know that the G70 would be an awesome car.

Does it have the 8 cylinders that so many enthusiasts that would be found here want? No.. but that's not to suggest that this car or any 6 cylinder euro or 6 cylinder anything is aimed at that market.

I guess my point is, 'for a Hyundai' sucks because they really aren't quite where they used to be. IMHO of course.

Apologies for being defensive, I guess I support the brand which isn't terrible for someone tasked with managing people who have to sell them ;)
I totally agree SCUD, Hyundai have certainly picked up their game of late. Hyundai gained their "image" by building "cheap" cars, now they have to convince the buyers that their higher priced vehicles are worth buying.

It took Toyota over of 2 decades to gain their "bulletproof" image.

The same silly comment (for just) can be made about any manufacturer. Do you reckon many said "$169,000 !! for a Holden" when referring to a HSV GTS-R W1.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #41
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You’re a sales manager for Hyundai and state that you support the brand but going by your signature block don’t own one??
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #42
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, in fact a lot of people agree is a lot of car for the money.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #43
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Agreed.. For some reason, people cant seem to get past the Excel's of mid to late 90's (remember $13,990 drive away for the sprint..lol) that had horrible build quality..

Times have moved on and the Hyundai of today is a million miles from that... The current Santa Fe gets rave reviews (and IMHO look awesome) and the I30N, being Hyundai's first ever real Hot Hatch, is the same way.. The media all love it...THey are selling decent product's in the segments that are popular...

If Hyundai/Genesis can market the G70 better than Kia did with the Stinger it might sell a few...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
You’re a sales manager for Hyundai and state that you support the brand but going by your signature block don’t own one??
Possibly a company car supplied?
Old 26-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Possibly a company car supplied?
Agreed, if he's a new car sales manager he basically gets pick of the lot and turned over every few thousand k's at worst, why would you buy one when they give it to you as part of the deal.
On top of that, buying one wouldn't be supporting his sales staff anyway as it wouldn't go into their monthly target.

When I last worked in a Toyota dealership the manager's personal toy which he kept on site was a 2 door HQ Monaro.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #46
Poetic Justice

Regarding my own car, the Jeep in the signature replaced a 2018 i30 N hatch that I bought for my wife back in October last year. I held on to it for 6 months but then we had our second child and while we thought the hatchback would be suitable enough in size, obviously it wasn't.

I don't particularly own non-performance vehicles so there was nothing else I would be interested in purchasing from the Hyundai stable yet, although if the rumoured Tucson N comes along in the next year or so I could consider trading the Jeep for it, maaaaybe. I bloody love the Jeep.

I get a company car for personal use which is usually an i30 N, Santa Fe or Tucson Highlander.
Old 26-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #47
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can understand old-timers who can still remember well the early pop-riveted Excels of the 90s having that attitude. But looking at the current model range, I see a car that is quite good value and comparable quality to its euro competitors. If they were to dismiss one without actually looking at it, it would definitely be their loss.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #48
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The G70 is going to face a tough challenge like so many competitors in this segment.

The mid-size luxury sedan segment is bursting with excellent products. The problem is, when most people think "Luxury car" they gravitate to the three German brands BMW, Mercedes Benz and Audi.

I personally believe that there is excellent value to be had in the mid-size sedan segment outside the 3-Series, C-Class and A4. Spec for spec cars like the Lexus IS, Infinity Q50, Volvo S60, Jaguar XE and Alfa Romeo Giulia are compelling offerings for those who look outside the box.

The G70 is another compelling mid size sedan that is going to get lost in the pack. I don't really understand why Hyundai decided to re-launch the Genisis brand with sedans when the market has shifted towards SUV's.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #49
speedy
Starter Motor

….. I am really liking these new Genesis vehicles , esp the G70. Yea, I agree they will have a tough time breaking into a tough market segment, but they would be my go to car for sure.
Now our beloved Falcons are no longer available new and so few RWD cars available , it sure sits at the right price for a quality performance car ie the 6T anyway. Thanks to guys like Albert B (30 yr head of BMW Msport) you can be sure these are no longer 'throw away' cars that some people cant let go of ,, from the past 15 years or so. Quality is up near Mazda these days for sure. Plus a 5 year warranty trumps the 3 yr of the German Big 3, plus saving of bout $30k in price for equal type vehicle. Also, the service/ maintenance costs I am sure wouldn't be the mouth watering amounts of those as well.
.. Looking good.. !!
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #50
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, quality is better than Mazda if you choose to use the JD Powers quality survey results (which most auto industry professionals use)

Genesis rated at the top in 2018 and 2019 for initial quality in the USA

They are following the Lexus business strategy to extract more coin from the purchaser with a higher level of quality and refinement for a little extra cost

Last edited by 383hq; 27-06-2019 at 05:57 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #51
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Regarding my own car, the Jeep in the signature replaced a 2018 i30 N hatch that I bought for my wife back in October last year. I held on to it for 6 months but then we had our second child and while we thought the hatchback would be suitable enough in size, obviously it wasn't.

I don't particularly own non-performance vehicles so there was nothing else I would be interested in purchasing from the Hyundai stable yet, although if the rumoured Tucson N comes along in the next year or so I could consider trading the Jeep for it, maaaaybe. I bloody love the Jeep.

I get a company car for personal use which is usually an i30 N, Santa Fe or Tucson Highlander.
It’s great to have someone with your experience here. It probably deserves its own thread, but how do you rate today’s Hyundai for reliability, I mean, at the warranty end? I’ve seen a handful of brand new i30’s blowing white smoke out the back hightailing it to the service dept, but you just don’t see pages and pages of google search results of Hyundai problems like you do with Holden/ford/Jeep. I understand if you can’t elaborate

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 27-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Today's Hyundais are brilliant in terms of quality/reliability and IMO equal to the Japanese,
I'm sure that's why so many people are return buyers and why others have slipped down
the sales pole. The whole buying experience is a joy, especially for women buyers.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #53
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

And I will refer back to my comment on my mates BMW...

http://wwww.fordforums.com.au/showth...50#post6300850

And my 9yo 58" Samsung plasma TV that needed a panel replacement 6 years ago, that came with a blown pixel in the middle of the bloody screen, and my Samsung computer monitor that ONLY DOES 60Hz (living in a 50Hz country).

I still find some love for LG though, which usually is good value.

(hmmmmmm, BMW.)

Last edited by JasonACT; 27-06-2019 at 10:12 PM.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #54
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I waited for this car. I really wanted to check one out. It was delayed, delayed again, postponed, and the whole sales process is well, unusual. Have had a Stinger GT now for 8 months and it's quite simply a brilliant car.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #55
Sioso
irregular member

A 4.68 isn't hanging about:

Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: