Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Magee

Default Do all your reversing sensors actually work.

Just had the misfortune of backing my AU XR8 into a solid steel pole at a undercover car park. There was no warning from my Ebay reversing sensor kit which I know does work at it goes off every time at the dip when I reversing out of my driveway.

My first thought was that as I was turning while reversing and the far side sensor may not pick up presence of the pole as it was to the side of the car. When I got home I checked the 4 sensors heads individually and found 3 okay but the far left one was not working at all.

Very disappointed that the kit I have fitted to prevent this let me down when really needed it. I checked our other family cars and and all sensors work fine.

Current kit will be ditched and I have already ordered a name brand one. Will still check it regularly though.

Just a suggestion for people to check that all their sensor are working to avoid the same problem. Pic of damage and poles are attached.

Last edited by Magee; 20-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do all your reversing sensors actually work.

Bugger!
Looks like one that could just blend into the background!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sensors don't always give you a reading on posts and poles, they are better for solid objects/kerbs etc, the instructions on any kit I've ever owned has had such a disclaimer.
Is it possible the sensor was damaged by the impact?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a front sensor on my FGX fail.

Every time the parking system armed itself the car would scream at me until it was fixed.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
Just had the misfortune of backing my AU XR8 into a solid steel pole at a undercover car park. Pic of damage and poles are attached.
Umm, the pole is in the middle of the parking space, yet your damage is just on the side...............please explain
Old 15-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could be wrong, but to me I wouldn’t think a parking sensor would pick up something that far to the side of the car? It looks to be out of the zone a sensor should pick up.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Magee

Hi Gasolane,

The way the collision occurred was that I was parked in the north east corner of an undercover carpark with my car facing east. The photo with the pole is of the diagonally opposite disable parking spot which faces north.

What I should have done is reversed straight back 2 car lengths and then driven forward and turned right. What I did was go straight back about 1 car length then turned the wheel to the left which brought the rear of my car turning into the disabled parking spot and clipping the pole.

The bumper is coming off to make repairs and I will set up an experiment with bumper on a trolley with a 12 volt battery to active the sensors. The kids basket hoop will be the pole and with the good sensor on the opposite side I will see if it will trigger by using the same angel approach.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Just a side note regarding your rear bumper cover. There is a good chance the cover eyelet nearest the dent in the quarter could have ripped. I that is the case, it is really not good to try a repair. The bumper cover should be replaced, if in fact this is the case.

Depending on your insurance coverage you may wind up with an aftermarket product. If so, insist on the use of an adhesion promoter such a Bulldog. Otherwise, the first time something gives your bumper cover a good whack, a large portion of the paint could flake off.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I zoomed in on the bumper pic and it looks like the sensor may not be fitted correctly, you should have the outer ones on the corner, so it picks up objects to the side.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
Magee

Hello Bevsta,

I am now thinking my EBAY sourced kit was designed for a narrow body vehicle and is not suitable for a Falcon. The sensor position were based on the 1 page instruction manual which recommended 300 - 400mm between sensors. I used 500 mm between the 2 centre ones and 400 mm from the centre to outside ones to get what I thought was best fit and a good match to the factory fit on our G6E.

The new Steel Mate brand kit has arrived with its 26 page instruction manual and allows for greater than 450 mm per sensor. This will allow me to push the outer ones further to the sides.

Reading through the manual it also has a auto test of all 4 sensor heads every time you go into reverse with one beep for all okay and 3 beeps for you have problem.

I wish I had of bought this kit first.
Old 16-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

How didn't you see the pillar in your mirror?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Magee

Hi LTD,

Interesting question. The post was painted bright yellow for obvious reasons but to tell you the truth I was actually looking out my rear vision mirror for cars coming up behind me as I reversed out. If I had alternated between the rear vision and passenger side mirror I may have seen it.

But just to add another point which made it a perfect storm for hitting the pole. It was bright warm sunny day and I was parked undercover. When I got in my car, I started it up and ran the air con with my tinted windows up to cool the car while I sent a text my wife on when I will be back home. Once I put on my prescription sunglass my initial vision was like what it would be at dusk. Therefore even if I had looked in the passenger side mirror the pole would not be so bright due my sun glasses and tinted windows.
Old 16-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
Hi LTD,

Interesting question. The post was painted bright yellow for obvious reasons
Therefore even if I had looked in the passenger side mirror the pole would not be so bright due my sun glasses and tinted windows.
That's what I was alluding to in my first reply. Pretty easy to see when you're taking a photo of it, but combine sunlight/shade, traffic movements etc, can be an easy mistake to make!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All four sensors in my AUXR work perfectly. The three mirrors & the frontwindscreen.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post