Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #31
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Sydney drivers spending $8,000 per year on road tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegSpec View Post
You guys bang on about how much you pay on tolls ff's???
Try driving a truck!......whatever you spend on an individual toll....for a truck over 2.8mtrs in height.....triple it!
I've only got a Hino tilt tray and right now it's costing me anywhere from 200-400 bucks a week in bloody tolls!.....
Once the M4 tolls come.....I'll be spending almost as much in tolls as I do in diesel fuel....
Geesus that sucks......And it must push up the prices of transport costs to cover it all plus fuel and servicing and maintenance.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #32
Pis-ton broke
Banned

just sitting here trying to pay the toll, as i went to sydney the other day. some info on the drama of paying this toll, that i have to provide acc. no., tag no. username and pin no. this pee,d me off to put it mildly.

so i ring up roam for info, then ring back to other roam section, quote both numbers and done. then ring the tunnel people and tell them all the numbers and done.

i have learnt that there are 10 toll providers from the roam drop down box, and they aren,t linked that i know of, well m5 and tunnel aren,t , i know that.

why can,t all the tolls be paid to one collection company.? this toll paying system is very inefficient, imo. ive spent 45mins to sort this out , it ridiculous, and very frustrating!, it,s not user friend at all.

about the toll costs, i think its a rort to be able to charge the way they do, the charging method seems very basic, why can,t they work out a better system? maybe a dayliy , weekly or monthly cap. here has to be a better way.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You guys bang on about how much you pay on tolls ff's???
Try driving a truck!......whatever you spend on an individual toll....for a truck over 2.8mtrs in height.....triple it!
I've only got a Hino tilt tray and right now it's costing me anywhere from 200-400 bucks a week in bloody tolls!.....
Once the M4 tolls come.....I'll be spending almost as much in tolls as I do in diesel fuel....
Yeah right, you will claim what you can back on your taxes & charge your customers in your business costs, ordinary commuter will still lose more than you.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #34
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
just sitting here trying to pay the toll, as i went to sydney the other day. some info on the drama of paying this toll, that i have to provide acc. no., tag no. username and pin no. this pee,d me off to put it mildly.

so i ring up roam for info, then ring back to other roam section, quote both numbers and done. then ring the tunnel people and tell them all the numbers and done.

i have learnt that there are 10 toll providers from the roam drop down box, and they aren,t linked that i know of, well m5 and tunnel aren,t , i know that.

why can,t all the tolls be paid to one collection company.? this toll paying system is very inefficient, imo. ive spent 45mins to sort this out , it ridiculous, and very frustrating!, it,s not user friend at all

about the toll costs, i think its a rort to be able to charge the way they do, the charging method seems very basic, why can,t they work out a better system? maybe a dayliy , weekly or monthly cap. here has to be a better way.
Sydney is such a **** hole!
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #35
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Yeah right, you will claim what you can back on your taxes & charge your customers in your business costs, ordinary commuter will still lose more than you.
....mate, we must be on different planets here?...
Private commuters in Western Sydney have a cashback scheme (that truckies aren't eligible for)......we use the toll charges to offset our income and under that system we're lucky to get back 25-30 cents in the dollar.
As for oncharging every toll on every trip?......good luck with that too'....
So, no mate, the so-called "ordinary commuter" is still better off....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

why can,t all the tolls be paid to one collection company.? this toll paying system is very inefficient, imo. ive spent 45mins to sort this out , it ridiculous, and very frustrating!, it,s not user friend at all.

They will have shortly. I was recently testing a phone app that works using the phones gps and charges you as you go.

Great for us country folk that don't use the tolls on a regular basis and forget to pay within the three days allowed.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #37
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Private commuters in Western Sydney have a cashback scheme (that truckies aren't eligible for)......we use the toll charges to offset our income and under that system we're lucky to get back 25-30 cents in the dollar.
Oh well you got me on the cash back as I do not reside in NSW but suck it up as you and others in business can put it down to operating costs, your choice to absorb fees or pass it on to customer.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #38
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Isn't that the truth.....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #39
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they they were serious about getting the best value for the toll system they would introduce time of day tolling; ie higher in the peak, lower in the off peak. Works for public transport.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2017, 12:31 AM   #40
theunfairadvant

Can anyone tell me where does the toll start from please?
Say if i'm in Strathfield going to Penrith how can i avoid the toll plus which road to drive on to avoid it.

Thanks
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You'd need to go Parramatta Rd to Granville ... then up to Gt Western Highway.
As the Toll points are still still there at Church Street end ... you may get a small entry charge for that entry.

But to miss it ... you'll need to drive right around it ... and get on a Cumberland Highway. So a bit of a much around.

Going home from work ... I'll have to go around James Ruse Drive passed Northmead ... instead of coming down towards Granville and enter there as there is a Toll gantry there too.

I can see heading in from the West that Cumberland Highway exit is going to be backed up for kays. I'd say I'll be getting off onto Gt Western Highway back near Prospect or Blacktown to make it easier.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #42
.:4:.
Kicking back

The Hume highway or Canterbury rd to the Cumberland highway then get on the m4 as its past the tolls.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #43
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

T.v news this morning was showing about new tolls for M4 in Sydney starting 12pm last night.

Saves 17 minutes but cars cost nearly $5 each way and trucks $14.

They also mentioned Sydney now has THE MOST expensive toll roads system in THE WORLD!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #44
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The small section from James Ruse Drive to Church street heading west is meant to be charged at just over $2 ... for a distance for about 300 metres.

They should have made it something along the lines of 50c like they do on the M7 onramp that leads into the M2 from Windsor Rd ... it's about the same distance.

If they were smarter ... they'd start off with the Tolls lower ... and suck the motorists into the convenience of using it ... then incrementally increase every 3 months for so like they do on the M2. Punters usually don't notice the rise ... but it adds up.

I was expecting the Cumberland Hwy off-ramp to be banked back to Prospect this morning ... but it wasn't ... so happy with that. There's ways around the Tolls for most.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #45
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post

If they were smarter ... they'd start off with the Tolls lower ... and suck the motorists into the convenience of using it ... then incrementally increase every 3 months for so like they do on the M2. Punters usually don't notice the rise ... but it adds up.
You don't think thats already their plan! it will be legislated!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #46
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
You don't think thats already their plan! it will be legislated!

JP
I don't doubt it .... but to start it off higher will just put people off using it.
They needed to ease motorists into it ... and then rip them off blind later while they have been used to using it.
Old 19-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #47
Boss 302

Quote:
Cashback is on M5 only.
Boss 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #48
Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
You'd need to go Parramatta Rd to Granville ... then up to Gt Western Highway.
As the Toll points are still still there at Church Street end ... you may get a small entry charge for that entry.

But to miss it ... you'll need to drive right around it ... and get on a Cumberland Highway. So a bit of a much around.

Going home from work ... I'll have to go around James Ruse Drive passed Northmead ... instead of coming down towards Granville and enter there as there is a Toll gantry there too.

I can see heading in from the West that Cumberland Highway exit is going to be backed up for kays. I'd say I'll be getting off onto Gt Western Highway back near Prospect or Blacktown to make it easier.
Church st, exit & on ramp for M4 is untolled.
the toll rehash has made my trips to & from work a total PITA.
Old 20-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #49
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
Cashback is on M5 only.
My bad.....but give it time....they introduced the cashback scheme after so much backlash on the M5.......so I'd reckon it'll happen on the M4 eventually too....;)
Old 20-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #50
Pis-ton broke
Banned

last week while paying a toll notice the roam toll trolls told me that i owed $100+ from 4 non payments back in 2009 to 2010. however my account was never suspended? (if payment is not received your account is suspended) i was advised my another toll company to not pay the money and to contact the tolling ombudsman, what a pita. can someone offer advise?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #51
Boss 302

Quote:
My bad.....but give it time....they introduced the cashback scheme after so much backlash on the M5.......so I'd reckon it'll happen on the M4 eventually too....;)
No problem, I hope they do.
I discussed this with some one from work, who uses the M5.
He reckons with the money he gets back, it costs him around, 40 odd cents per trip.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #52
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
When M4 was tolled way back when ... there was no cashback scheme at all .... so highly doubt there will ever be another one. I'd say once the eastern section is finished ... it will rise dramatically again.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #53
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 302 View Post
Church st, exit & on ramp for M4 is untolled.
the toll rehash has made my trips to & from work a total PITA.
I was wondering why the Cumberland Highway exit eastbound was still pretty quiet. I hope it stays like that as well.

I'd say Church street is shocking now though.