Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #1201
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Mate of mine just bought a Turbo Veloster. Manual, white, looks the goods. Gonna take it for a spin next week. Picked it up for $33k driveaway - 150kW/265Nm, 0-100 7s. Proper engine, can't wait to have a spin.
Old 25-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #1202
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Mate of mine just bought a Turbo Veloster. Manual, white, looks the goods. Gonna take it for a spin next week. Picked it up for $33k driveaway - 150kW/265Nm, 0-100 7s. Proper engine, can't wait to have a spin.
And fwd...

I personally think the veloster is a horrible design. Although I've seen a few modded ones nine where they can look decent.
Old 25-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #1203
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

At least you can buy a Veloster today AND at the advertised price...
Old 25-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #1204
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

I'd absolutely gaurantee that just about everyone who has bought one would not even know what vehicle dynamics are, and couldn't care less.
I'd absolutely guarantee you are wrong, that is unless you personally know just about everyone who bought one.

As for practicality, not everyone needs a practical car. So why would you buy a Focus or similar over an 86 if you just want a cheap fun car that drives the right wheels.
Old 25-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #1205
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Going to buy one are you ?
Old 25-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #1206
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
I think its popularity is soley down to it being a fashion statement.

I'd absolutely gaurantee that just about everyone who has bought one would not even know what vehicle dynamics are, and couldn't care less. They would just like it because its cheap and they think its cool.etc.
True, but Id add that alot of people who bought one at the original price are now selling their low kay vehicle for a $20K premium on carsales.... Making it far more expensive than an XR6T, Megane, Wrx etc. and getting very close to low kay used Elise and Exige prices.....
Old 25-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #1207
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Going to buy one are you ?
No, I'd wait for the new Focus ST: but at least the option is there, and there ain't a 2 yr wait for the Veloster...
Old 25-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #1208
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:

So how long is the waiting list for the Veloster?
If the 86 is such a crap car, and a fail in every single way, then why is the waiting list 18-24 months?
I think the sales of both this and the BRZ show that it really is a car that people want.
Not every person in the world needs to win every traffic light drag out the front of maccas.
Not every person needs to be doing 200 up the back straight at QR.
Not every person needs to think that there 25 year old import is a better handling car than a lotus.
So the falcon is such an awesome car, and it can beat this in every way possible, but what are the sales figures like.......
I think people here are living quite blind.
Toyota have nailed this right on the head. And everyone here that wants the falcon to keep living as its such an awesome car, and everyone wants one blah blah blah, needs to take a reality check and see what people REALLY WANT. I can quite honestly say that its not the falcon..... (unfortunately)
Old 25-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #1209
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, I'd wait for the new Focus ST:
So you are going to buy a new ST focus are you ?

Quote:
but at least the option is there, and there ain't a 2 yr wait for the Veloster...
Not a two year weight on the Veloster, wonder why...

ugly - tick
fwd - tick
fubar doors - tick
Hyundai - tick

As you have no interest in the 86 why are you actually here
Old 25-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #1210
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

There's not a 2 yr wait (more like 6 months and both versions are selling like hotcakes) because Hyundai doesn't treat it's customers with contempt like Toyota has with the 86: deliberately limiting supply to create interest... Tho not as bad as Subaru, having to buy online, no cars in the showroom and used BRZs going at auction for $63K? Please.

Imagine if Ford released the new ST, allocated bugger all for Australia for the year, only sold it online and the only way you could buy one was to pay double the rrp at auction.... I wonder how this forum would react?
Old 25-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #1211
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
more inane waffle
Again, why are you here (in this particular thread) if you have no interest in the subject of the thread ?

Do you understand the concept of supply and demand ?

Are you really going to buy a new ST Focus ?
Old 25-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1212
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

There's only a 2yr waiting list because of extremely limited supply. The 86 has been hyped up for over 3 yrs now, and people slapped down $$ before it was released (good on them, they're making a $20K profit onselling their 86s now -and this is due to Toyotas and Subarus deliberate trickle of supply.) And that's just treating customers with contempt.

The 86 is sold as a back to basics cheap sports car for the driving enthusiast.

Pity it doesn't cost $29K (base models start at $40K+), you can't take delivery now for 2 years and it hasn't (despite die hard Toyota fans on here insisting) received great reviews outside Aus (something that I've provided evidence on time and again). To be frank, it peeves me off how car companies believe they can treat drivers like idiots and believe hype is better than substance...
Old 25-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #1213
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

[HTML][/HTML]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

Are you really going to buy a new ST Focus ?
I havent driven one yet, so I can't be sure. Unlike 86 buyers, I like to drive cars I might buy before handing over cash...

But if I do I'll be happy knowing the ST will have the legs on an 86 thru the twistys, around Eastern Creek, away from the lights or on my favourite stretch of road.... and all for alot less money too...

Oh, and I won't have to wait till 2015 to take delivery either.
Old 25-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #1214
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

The new ST isn't even here yet and who cares if its FWD it's a totally different car to the 86.
Lets not turn this into a FWD/RWD/AWD debate
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 25-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #1215
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Quote:
There's not a 2 yr wait (more like 6 months and both versions are selling like hotcakes)
Quote:
From cars guide :

Quote:
The Veloster Turbo, which can accelerate from 0-100km/h in 7.5 seconds in automatic guise (7.8 for manual)
And every review Ive read has the FT 86 between 6.8 and 7.6 seconds to a hundred.

Now, can you see ANYTHING wrong with what you have written there?

The 86 is underpowered and slow, but you would rather a slightly (and I mean slightly) more powerful, but slower FWD korean car, that you can buy at the dealers NOW, but with a 6 month waiting list.

Rigggggghhhhtttttt, cool story bro..
Old 25-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #1216
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
[HTML][/HTML]

I havent driven one yet, so I can't be sure. Unlike 86 buyers, I like to drive cars I might buy before handing over cash...

But if I do I'll be happy knowing the ST will have the legs on an 86 thru the twistys, around Eastern Creek, away from the lights or on my favourite stretch of road.... and all for alot less money too...

Oh, and I won't have to wait till 2015 to take delivery either.

It is well documented in this forum that you will never buy another Ford so why waffle on? I really don't get some of you young blokes. Go buy that Mazda already.
Old 25-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #1217
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Um, mr fiesta "man"... We got it 20 pages and 1000 posts later....you do t like the car. Do everyone a favor and bugger of so we an discuss this car in a proper manner without your dribble.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #1218
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
From cars guide :

And every review Ive read has the FT 86 between 6.8 and 7.6 seconds to a hundred.

Now, can you see ANYTHING wrong with what you have written there?

The 86 is underpowered and slow, but you would rather a slightly (and I mean slightly) more powerful, but slower FWD korean car, that you can buy at the dealers NOW, but with a 6 month waiting list.

Rigggggghhhhtttttt, cool story bro..
Before inane replies please read posts correctly...

Please also show me where I said I would buy a Veloster instead of an 86 on this thread.....

Point is: Veloster: you can actually buy it at the advertised price and even get delivery this year(if you're lucky)... No, wouldnt personally buy one but a $32K Veloster is line ball in pace with the $42K+ 86 (most figures for the 86 have it between 7 and 7.5, auto dips into the 8s in some publications) that you can't take delivery of for 2 yrs.

And I wonder what a $800 remap of the Velosters ecu might achieve.... Extra power and torque = easy to achieve on a turbo car, not so on an N/A car. Tho TRD has just released a power kit for the 86.... Boosting power by an enormous 10hp....
Old 25-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #1219
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil and on topic. This is starting to get argumentative.
Old 25-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #1220
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Before inane replies please read posts correctly...

Please also show me where I said I would buy a Veloster instead of an 86 on this thread.....

Point is: Veloster: you can actually buy it at the advertised price and even get delivery this year(if you're lucky)... No, wouldnt personally buy one but a $32K Veloster is line ball in pace with the $42K+ 86 (most figures for the 86 have it between 7 and 7.5, auto dips into the 8s in some publications) that you can't take delivery of for 2 yrs.

And I wonder what a $800 remap of the Velosters ecu might achieve.... Extra power and torque = easy to achieve on a turbo car, not so on an N/A car. Tho TRD has just released a power kit for the 86.... Boosting power by an enormous 10hp....
But if your not interested in the 86 why are you here filling this thread with the same old dribble...

Nobody is interested in what you have to say because it is constantly negative to the subject at hand.

I don't like Fiesta's, so I don't go into Fiesta threads bad mouthing them I just ignore them.
Old 25-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #1221
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the basic point is this: If you start comparing the 86 to cars with turbos, V8's, and other high powered cars, and keep harping on about kilowatts, you don't get the philosophy behind such a car...end of story.

Again mentioning the original MX5, the same "complaints" came out about it...but people who actually owned the and drove them just smiled. They wouldn't have gone and bought a five or six liter V8, they wouldn't have gone and bought a turbo car full of electronics and complications...they knew damn well what they were buying, and so , I believe, do the people lining up to buy an 86...
Old 25-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #1222
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actual turbo Veloster owners are getting 7s flat to 100km/h. It's got a very similar power and torque to weight ratio as a Polo GTi.

I've never said the 86 is underpowered, I've said it doesn't have enough torque. Veloster turbo has 265Nm compared to 205Nm in the 86, but the real story is where it makes the torque. 86 makes its peak at 6,400rpm, where the Veloster turbo makes peak torque from 1750-4500rpm.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think there's a place for both cars in the market, and if you like one over the other, then that's your own personal choice. But, if it were my money, it'd go to the Hyundai.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1223
RASER
Banned

This is not a F20 Fuji camera, no need to build a shrine to it!

It's a basic vehicle, a modern Celica if you will, at a very good and fair price.

It's not a rocketship in any shape/form, but looks good and priced right, i suppose it's a chance for a family man to live his dream and not get nagged because its gender friendly and not expensive really, daily drive and not a weekend toy.

The market will lose interest in it soon enough, a newer modern widget will come out soon enough, always does, always will.

Supply will catch up, 2nd hands will hit them market, price will drop, everything comes back to normal of sorts.

Of course BigT[tm.F/0] have the roofless and turbo models to come, so standby for round 2 and 3...lol
Old 27-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1224
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty amazing, 41 pages devoted to basically toyota`s version of an MX5 on a ford forum.
Old 27-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #1225
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
pretty amazing, 41 pages devoted to basically toyota`s version of an MX5 on a ford forum.
Not a shot at you mik, but to me, that's why these forums are so much better than others I haunt. The ability for most (excluding the normal notable exceptions) to discuss the pro and cons of all makes and models.

It always makes me smile when I see someone take the time to post in a thread that they don't like, and saying so, when all they have to do is not click on the thread (especially in the General Automotive section).

For me, I couldn't drive one of these as a daily, but as a track car would be a lot of fun to rip around in. Power isn't the be all, driving excitement is where it's at for me, be that in a 400+rwkw falcon or a MX-5 (both a hoot to drive on a circuit in anger!).

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 27-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #1226
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
This is not a F20 Fuji camera, no need to build a shrine to it!

It's a basic vehicle, a modern Celica if you will, at a very good and fair price.

It's not a rocketship in any shape/form, but looks good and priced right, i suppose it's a chance for a family man to live his dream and not get nagged because its gender friendly and not expensive really, daily drive and not a weekend toy.

The market will lose interest in it soon enough, a newer modern widget will come out soon enough, always does, always will.

Supply will catch up, 2nd hands will hit them market, price will drop, everything comes back to normal of sorts.

Of course BigT[tm.F/0] have the roofless and turbo models to come, so standby for round 2 and 3...lol
your nearly getting it, note its not a modern celica they are actually quite techo, research AE86 from the 80's and see what they are worth now..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 27-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1227
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
It always makes me smile when I see someone take the time to post in a thread that they don't like, and saying so, when all they have to do is not click on the thread (especially in the General Automotive section).
Especially the ones that have called the Toyota Dealership to try and book a test drive
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 27-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #1228
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I think its popularity is soley down to it being a fashion statement.

I'd absolutely gaurantee that just about everyone who has bought one would not even know what vehicle dynamics are, and couldn't care less. They would just like it because its cheap and they think its cool.

And I think its a bit rich people reffering to it as a track car when its as slow as a wet week and couldn't cut a good lap time to save its life. Even an Ecoboost XT auto can smoke it around a track, and as some have mentioned its got an inferior power to weight ratio compared to the 86. So obviously its handling does not translate to any form of corner speed, so what exactly was the point of this thing, as the light weight and good dynamics don't mean jack on a track.

Confusing what its even supposed to be.

Everyday car- too torqueless and impracticle being a 2 door
Track car- too slow, no grip from Prius tyres, weak brakes (worst 100-0 braking distances on BFYB ).
Performance car- too slow

The only area where it might be ok is as a sunday car to take for a drive down a twisty road. But there's heaps of cars that can do this, and be good enough to drive everyday ie. Renault Sport 265, Focus ST etc.
Please refrain from "contributing" to this thread, your making your other decent posts about Ford less creditable.

Quote:
Whats Korea's first crack at a sports car, which ANY FWD car is not, got to do with this thread and car? Its only true competitor is the MX5..even then most prefer a coupe (hence Mazda having hard tops as an option now).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #1229
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Please refrain from "contributing" to this thread, your making your other decent posts about Ford less creditable..

Continuous falcon comparisons

I guess thats what happens when there isn't any RWD sports coupes for under 35k...you have to start making up an alternate realm.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 27-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #1230
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Not a shot at you mik, but to me, that's why these forums are so much better than others I haunt. The ability for most (excluding the normal notable exceptions) to discuss the pro and cons of all makes and models.

For me, I couldn't drive one of these as a daily, but as a track car would be a lot of fun to rip around in. Power isn't the be all, driving excitement is where it's at for me, be that in a 400+rwkw falcon or a MX-5 (both a hoot to drive on a circuit in anger!).
very true Grunter, this is one of the best if not the best car forums around no doubt about it.
there`s fun to be had in anything if you really want to, funnily enough , a car i paid only 400 buks for as a work hack that i treated with utter disdain was a load of fun, i could still throw a truck tyre in boot on occasion(sort of hanging out a bit) and not worry about seeing the body work distort and flex , and i could give it some legal but spirited driving on route to work and on the way home going the back way avoiding melbournes wonderful traffic jams, the car was an old rt104 corona, which i later gave to my young brother when he got his licence,............... and he got a couple of years use out of before it went to sims. i`m sure an 86 would be fun punted around, i could also see an 86 doing the same duties, just have to wait for them to get down to 400 buks . .
Closed Thread