Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #1111
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I can agree somewhat but, i know its a different comparison but on a spirited cruise through the hills with some of my mates (XR5/RS Focus) a mate in an XR6T with brembos just couldnt maintain the speed. (I know its different scenarios but you see my point)

I reckon this 86 has been compared to every car on the planet in this thread
Was using equivilent Tyres and Suspension to the Focus?

Honestly just asking the question, not expecting a 1750kg Falcon to be as good around the bends as a 1400kg Focus without a fairly large advantage in Mechanical Grip.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
Old 16-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #1112
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well there was a few XR5/RS Focus with varying levels of suspension etc. But mine had different rubber from factory (235 vs 225 ex factory) and a rear roll bar and standard suspension. The XR6T had 19 inch wheels with different rubber and standard suspension.

Sorry for the off topic guys.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 17-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #1113
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Castle Hill Perfomance Added a Turbo to one of these and the results:-
Red = Stock
Green = Turbo & Tuned

http://www.performancegarage.com.au/...o-flex-fuel-86

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 17-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #1114
EFFalcon
Last warning

Thats a pretty decent result for 9psi.

Edit: slightly less impressed given its on E85
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 17-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #1115
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If that's on E85, the real 98 RON figure would be something closer to about 170-180kwatw, which is still mighty impressive. That's the power it should have had from the factory. Bit puzzling though is the stock figure of 103kwatw. Even a Polo GTi which makes 132kw at the fly compared to the 86's 147 kw, makes around 110kwatw through a dual clutch box.
Old 17-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1116
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
If that's on E85, the real 98 RON figure would be something closer to about 170-180kwatw, which is still mighty impressive. That's the power it should have had from the factory. Bit puzzling though is the stock figure of 103kwatw. Even a Polo GTi which makes 132kw at the fly compared to the 86's 147 kw, makes around 110kwatw through a dual clutch box.

With the Haltech wired in the car made 163kW on 5.8psi with 98 octane pump fuel. Standard cat-back exhaust, standard injectors and fuel pump. The car made 103kW completely standard, and the aim was an extra 50kW on top of that with the turbo, so 163kW had us smiling.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 17-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #1117
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't far off. Nice result all the same. What's the torque like? Must put a big smile on the dile! Any reason you're not going higher boost? Just playing it safe? Is it intercooled?
Old 17-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #1118
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

211 at the rears would be plenty enough I'd reckon, almost scary. Curious to know what 1/4 and 0-100 would be.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #1119
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what i read on facebook, they added a 3" exhaust and got it up to 216rwkw..
Old 18-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #1120
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Pity the warranty has to be voided to get the performance it should have got from factory....
Old 18-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #1121
Uwish

same **** happens with you tune a Gt335.... void warranty.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #1122
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Pity the warranty has to be voided to get the performance it should have got from factory....
Really, all the reviews have praised its performance.

Brocken record

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #1123
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Really, all the reviews have praised its performance.

Brocken record
Not all. Actually far from it. But dont let facts ruin a good story.

But hey, if your happy to wait 2 yrs (and counting) for your 86 before taking it to an aftermarket tuning shop to get it turboed so an ecoboost falcon isn't quicker round a circuit (motors latest test btw) and loose your warranty in the process then good for you.
Old 18-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #1124
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish
same **** happens with you tune a Gt335.... void warranty.
Except a GT ain't slow from factory, is it?
Old 18-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #1125
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Not all. Actually far from it. But don't let facts ruin a good story.

Obviously forgot previous post in this thread then...goldfish effect?

So, while we arn't letting the facts ruin a good story...

The facts....Post 316

http://www.topgear.com/uk/toyota/gt-86/road-test/driven

Quote:
The GT 86 is light on its feet, not dainty exactly, but super accurate and so well balanced. I know it's not especially relevant, but the ease with which this thing lets go at the back end is so refreshing, and even when not arsing about it's just a joyful thing.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/175631/toyota-86-review/

Quote:
On the track, it means you have to be smart about the way you attack a corner. You can’t just hook in, stomp on the accelerator and hang the tail all the way out, because it doesn’t necessarily have the horsepower to maintain the drift. You must be disciplined, feed the power on more carefully for a more progressive slide

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...h-review-30686
Quote:
Get on the power mid-corner, however, and the front-engined, rear-drive chassis hunkers down and drives hard out of corners with the sort of poise we've not seen before in a Toyota. Ask more of it and the 86 will easily generate power oversteer in the lowest three gears. Not that it ever feels anything but totally adjustable. Want more oversteer? Simply dial in more throttle and the level of opposite lock increases accordingly, until the stability control throws out its subtle anchors.

Oh...and the Power/weight chart again...just in case you forgot...

Performance?

Seems like it has it?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1126
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

You said "all" the reviews have praised it's performance.

You then provide 3 reviews, 2 of which are Australian, correct?

Widen your reading, and cast it away from the net. Perhaps over to a place called Europe, where it's price point has it up against the Megane 250, Nissan 370, and where it's more expensive (with the proper brakes) than the Ford ST and Golf GTI base models - it's a very different landscape (and one that makes many cars over here appear hideously overpriced, Nissan 370??)

And then regardless of price it's engine is consistently criticised, and it's chassis has been described as feeling like a well sorted front driver. These British/European mags (Evo, autoexpress, car etc) all have circulations (and reviewers) that far outstrip Wheels/Carsguide/motor.....

Then factor in a 2 yr waiting period (by which time there will be a turboed variant after the 18 month initial peace deal not to tinker with the drivetrains between Toyota and Subaru is over) and rumoured prices of BRZs going for $60K plus at auctions out here and yes, it's hype over substance.

And power/weight? Lol: it's slower 0-100 than almost all hot hatches and much slower round a circuit too (Megane, Gti, Scirocco etc, forgetting the Wrx...) Sports car? Not yet. With another 50kW or so and decent rubber and sharper steering? Hopefully.
Old 18-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #1127
blue_ute

Would be great car for 29,990 but I checked out the local toyota the said its 42 for that price I'm not as impressed
Old 18-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #1128
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
/Snip.
Evo review?

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...86_review.html

Quotes...

Quote:
We've driven Toyota's new GT 86 rear-drive sports coupe - and on first impressions, it's brilliant
Quote:
It restores your faith in cars. No excuses, no unsaid undercurrent that makes the best of the fact that cars are generally becoming more synthetic and less involving to drive. The GT 86 is a complete cracker.
Quote:
It makes a Scirocco seem synthetic, an RCZ anaesthetised, a 3-series Coupé over-complicated. This is a pure driving device like an Elise or an MX-5 with sharpened sinews. This is how a proper sporting coupé should be
Quote:
The car looks better in the metal than in pictures. And if you drive one, you'll want to own one
Hmm...Evo like it. What say Auto Express

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...6/toyota-gt-86

Quote:
The Toyota GT 86 is a back-to-basics sports car that will have you grinning ear-to-ear on a twisty B-road. And while it can’t quite compete with a modern turbocharged hot hatch in terms of straight-line performance, cabin quality or all-round usability, it more than makes up for that in terms of good old-fashioned, rear-wheel-drive fun
Quote:
the steering is sharp and precise, the brakes powerful yet progressive and the chassis adjustable and nimble. Then you’ll go into great detail about the tuneful 2.0-litre boxer engine and joyous short-throw six-speed manual box.
Quote:
fun. The GT 86, 
however, delivers this in spades. Toyota has gone back to basics by using a traditional sports car set-up with a relatively lightweight chassis and a rev-hungry engine up front driving the rear wheels.
Quote:
a sharper and more focused Mazda MX-5 
or an unbreakable alternative 
to a Lotus Elise. Like these two, it’s a proper enthusiast’s car that will have you waxing lyrical about how much fun it is to drive.
Hmmm...positive...they even branded it a winner in this test...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...t-86-vs-rivalshttp://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...t-86-vs-rivals

Quote:
The Toyota GT 86 is a back-to-basics sports car that follows a classic recipe to deliver a smile-a-minute driving experience. It’s the sort of car that makes you seek out a twisty road rather than take the direct route – and it wins this test.
Quote:
The beautifully engineered GT 86 offers the sort of engagement normally reserved for cars like the Lotus Elise. The boxer engine loves working hard and the handling is near perfect. Yet despite its focus it rides well, and the cabin is comfortable, if a little dated.
Topgear...

Quote:
We love the Subaru BRZ. Now we love the Toyota GT 86. One of the very best sports cars around today.
Quote:
off the top of my head I can't think of any car that handles more sweetly than this. And it's not slow either. On the main straight at Jarama it hit an indicated 125mph and that flat four engine, red-lined at 7,500rpm, pulls with gusto at the top end. Bit limp lower down, but that's a small price to pay. Great gearbox and lovely, lovely brakes,
Quote:
The GT 86 is light on its feet, not dainty exactly, but super accurate and so well balanced. I know it's not especially relevant, but the ease with which this thing lets go at the back end is so refreshing, and even when not arsing about it's just a joyful thing.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #1129
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Evo review: on the 86, issue 171, page 46-47.

"The motor can be very unpleasant at times, while at others the sound piped into the cabin does a good impression of flatulence."
"Understeer is never too far away."
"It hasn't got the power to maintain second gear slides."
And the killer: "The performance, or lack thereof, remains a real issue. A Clio Cup of similar weight and power feels much quicker. A turbocharged hot hatch like a Cooper S would simply murder it, and even a mid range diesel wod give the 86 one hell of a fright unless it's driver was bouncing into the limiter in every gear."
So that takes care of the 86, and I suggest you actually read the review on the BRZ version in issue 170, where it's comprehensively mauled by it's competition (and an original WRX): the issue has the headline "Subaru Shock-2000 miles in the BRZ and why it's not good enough." If that's your definition of a positive review then, well....
Old 18-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #1130
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

And your quotes from Evo are from December last year, where the 86 was exposed to press on a Japanese racetrack where reviewers had a very restricted sample of the car.

I'm using quotes that are a far more recent and follow comprehensive test drives in everyday conditions. I'm wondering how you could miss them on the Evo site? Didn't suit your arguement I presume?

Hmmm...
Old 18-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #1131
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

So i guess that's like latching on to one review and a few quotes from it, and ignoring the rest of the glowing reviews, yet alone the other points raised in the said article?

Lets see...

Scans of said magazine

Funnily enough, they think that travelling quickly for it to be fun is a negative...and also say that its "Something to enjoy" and that it "shows real balance and adjustability...a great way to learn about RWD Dynamics"

They pass comment on the power too..

"stay on the power and it will oversteer nicely"

Most of the negative comparisims are towards FWD turbo hatchs, versions of which are top of the line versions of the said car.

And they still gave 4/5 stars?

Hardly slammed at all...rather its a well balanced artical, that highlights both the Pros/cons.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #1132
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Obviously forgot previous post in this thread then...goldfish effect?

So, while we arn't letting the facts ruin a good story...

The facts....Post 316

http://www.topgear.com/uk/toyota/gt-86/road-test/driven

http://www.caradvice.com.au/175631/toyota-86-review/

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...h-review-30686

Oh...and the Power/weight chart again...just in case you forgot...

Performance?

Seems like it has it?

Doesn't stop a 4 cylinder falcon beating it in every way in the latest motor mag.

http://imageshack.us/f/402/img0028ble.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/705/img0029urq.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/713/img0030fn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/52/img0031tb.jpg/
Old 19-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #1133
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
/Snip

The one where they used an Auto?

Where they say that .

Quote:
First Impressions are overwhelmingly positive...
Quote:
It has an underlying rightness Even the 197hp engine has more bite then expected. Thanks to its instant and well judged throttle response.
Quote:
Im highly impressed. The chassis feels stiff and controlled, the sense of agility is imprinted on my fingertips. And the the torque-lite engine's crisp bark at high revs has me hooked.
Quote:
The BRZ has brought moments of pure joy and utter frustration. Its very near greatness the more you think about it. Brilliant chassis, huge grip, but with a clear reward for pushing it.
And there is more praise.

The common theme of the reveiws are, that as a road car, its lacking. This is due to the engine and car needing to be worked to enjoy. Complaints centered at it being hard to get the tail out within speed limts etc...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #1134
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Repeating the earlier warning.

If you use "hairdresser" as a derogatory description in this thread you will get a warning.

Keep it civil and on topic.
Old 19-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1135
nstg8a

Old 19-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #1136
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why all the hate? There's no need for it!

Saw a black 86 dealer car on the highway yesterday. They look excellent IRL. Very low slung, very sports car looking.

I just finished watching a full review of the 86 with Chris Harris where he compares the 86, 370Z and a used Porsche Cayman. In Europe, the 370Z is the same price as an 86, which is then the same price as say, an Evo 10. He really liked the 86 and said it shat all over the the 370Z for everything except straight line speed. He compared its handling to the Cayman (albeit an older Cayman). If Chris Harris thinks it's excellent, that's enough for me.

Having said that, he did lament the performance and the sound it makes. He said if you liked power in your cars, it wasn't going to be the one for you. So I guess you need to pick your poison.
Old 19-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #1137
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

IS that Webbs, or just Tecknos?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #1138
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't the Webbs own Teckno Performance and Teckno Autosports?
Old 19-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #1139
nstg8a

Quote:
Yeah both.
Old 19-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1140
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[description deleted] car